• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2011

211 posts in this topic

But that being said, the skew of this list is towards the high grade, but even if I took that out, I can tell you the top 5 would remain the same, but I may have to add some dollar book folks etc. I probably could even do a dollar dealer ranking etc.

That's what I thought you'd say and wanted to hear. Certainly, the top 5 wouldn't change and it shouldn't since the qualities needed to make the top of the list are highly grade independent.

If you ever run the dollar dealer list here or on CPG, let us know. :thumbsup:

But that being said, the skew of this list is towards the high grade, but even if I took that out, I can tell you the top 5 would remain the same, but I may have to add some dollar book folks etc. I probably could even do a dollar dealer ranking etc.

That's what I thought you'd say and wanted to hear. Certainly, the top 5 wouldn't change and it shouldn't since the qualities needed to make the top of the list are highly grade independent.

If you ever run the dollar dealer list here or on CPG, let us know. :thumbsup:

I've got Chicago, Baltimore and New York left this year. I'll spend a day at each show rooting through dollar boxes and making some assessments and will put a list together at the end of the year.

Nice report Brian, but I really feel you should include the little guys who help preserve those multi-million dollar books that 4 of the top 5 dealers and countless others on your honorable mention list. :whistle:

Also, when you finally make this into an annual book like the overstreet, I got page 3 and the back cover. I called it.

How about this... if I was making a list of top dealers who deal in supplies, I'd only need one slot: Hot Flips, the very best for service and quality.

Awwww shucks. :blush: Thanks Brian :foryou:

HOTFLIPS is indeed top notch.

And that's coming from a Red Sox fan.

Bob's ethics are beyond reproach and I have happily bought from him on the internet several times and been happy with almost every purchase from a pricing and grading standpoint. (There was one book where he missed some damage and the book wound up being overgraded, but that happens to everyone from time to time and Bob took the return with no hassles.) I know I'll never get ripped off by Bob Storms.

But in person, I have just never been able to get him to be anything other than gruff or even rude on occasions. I don't care where he's from; it's an attitude that I don't enjoy dealing with when I'm trying to spend money at a booth.

But that particular personality trait cannot detract from the fact that he's a great dealer to work with if you're not in the same room with him. lol It definitely would not keep me from buying from his website.

I think that is understating things a bit. I no longer focus my collecting on SA, but I used to make a point of visiting Bob's booth each year at cons and say hi and admire a key or two. I no longer bother. Too gruff for my taste.

We all know Bob's personality can be a bit gruff at times -- as he has that New York attitude.

Bob has never been anything but kind and very helpful to me. Heck, in San Diego he was downright jovial. Super nice guy.

Bob's ethics are beyond reproach and I have happily bought from him on the internet several times and been happy with almost every purchase from a pricing and grading standpoint. (There was one book where he missed some damage and the book wound up being overgraded, but that happens to everyone from time to time and Bob took the return with no hassles.) I know I'll never get ripped off by Bob Storms.

But in person, I have just never been able to get him to be anything other than gruff or even rude on occasions. I don't care where he's from; it's an attitude that I don't enjoy dealing with when I'm trying to spend money at a booth.

But that particular personality trait cannot detract from the fact that he's a great dealer to work with if you're not in the same room with him. lol It definitely would not keep me from buying from his website.

I think that is understating things a bit. I no longer focus my collecting on SA, but I used to make a point of visiting Bob's booth each year at cons and say hi and admire a key or two. I no longer bother. Too gruff for my taste.

We all know Bob's personality can be a bit gruff at times -- as he has that New York attitude.

Bob has never been anything but kind and very helpful to me. Heck, in San Diego he was downright jovial. Super nice guy.

Me too.

I mean this post in the most positive way, so hopefully nobody takes it as a poke at them (or that I am trying to be an apologist for Bob). The main reason for posting this is to show how differently we see each other:

What I find interesting about both EffEffBee's post and pennynike1's post is that I have had trouble getting along with both of them in the past online (I think I had it out with both of them at one point somewhere on here) and both of you found Bob to be gruff in person and yet I've never had anything but fairly easy exchanges with Bob in person.

Me and Alex (pennynike1) get along now (we've met in person several times since, I've never met Scott) but I think this just goes to show that one person's perception of a person being gruff is sometimes not the case for everyone.

That tells me that people can similarly seem to conflict with other personalities when interacting making the gruffness just be a personality perception very much like it happens here online. People hear or see what they perceive to be one thing and act on it when something entirely different is actually happening.

That's where a majority of complaints seem to stem from when people talk about personal interactions on these boards.

Thought that was interesting enough to be brought up in this thread.

Me too.

I mean this post in the most positive way, so hopefully nobody takes it as a poke at them (or that I am trying to be an apologist for Bob). The main reason for posting this is to show how differently we see each other:

What I find interesting about both EffEffBee's post and pennynike1's post is that I have had trouble getting along with both them in the past online (I think I had it out with both of them at one point somewhere on here) and both of you found Bob to be gruff in person and yet I've never had anything fairly easy exchanges with Bob in person.

Me and Alex (pennynike1) get along now (we've met in person several times since, I've never met Scott) but I think this just goes to show that one person's perception of a person being gruff is sometimes not the case for everyone.

That tells me that people can similarly seem to conflict with other personalities when interacting making the gruffness just be a personality perception very much like it happens here online. People hear or see what they perceive to be one thing and act on it when something entirely different is actually happening.

That's where a majority of complaints seem to stem from when people talk about personal interactions on these boards.

Thought that was interesting enough to be brought up in this thread.

Scott professes his opinions very openly and plainly both here and on Facebook. I happen to agree with most of what he says, so we've always got along. Heck, turns out he went to law school with my cousin.

Roy, if you ever meet Scott in person, you two will get along great.

Roy, if you ever meet Scott in person, you two will get along great.

I suppose I should have added that. I was in no way implying that we wouldn't.

Just an interesting POV to see who differently people (in this case Bob, 2 weeks ago Jamie) are perceived by people.

Often its just personal chemistry much like a couple who doesn't get along. Neither person is necessarily bad, they just don't get along face to face.

That's the only point i was trying to make.

Nice Report, Brian! (thumbs u

Bob Storms has a wonderful sense of humor, you just have to listen for it. When I first went to Cons, he seemed a little scary, that and the name High Grade, kind of put me off, but then I met Crazy Ed, HE (CE) scared me and I saw the difference between overly friendly and someone who lets you shop in peace:).

I'd shop with Bob anytime...I even have pictures of him smiling:) He's a really nice guy....and very funny...but best of all, he is NOT Crazy Ed...you won't see any hooks at his booth, or any flim flam moves and I never have to walk 3 aisles out of the way, so he doesn't spot me and try to sucker me into buying sell me a book;)

Bob is professional and reserved...just not an in your face fruitcake, which makes shopping with him, very comfortable:)

Can't make eye contact with Crazy Ed. Once you do that, he's got you.

He's a salesman thru-and-thru.

That's why I walk a WIDE circle around his booth;) 3 aisles is pretty safe;) He's got one of those Carnival hooks, I swear, lol...and when I get home, I have NO clue what the heck I bought;) I've been cautious over the past 7 or 8 years, I learned my lesson early:)

Can't make eye contact with Crazy Ed. Once you do that, he's got you.

He's a salesman thru-and-thru.

That's why I walk a WIDE circle around his booth;) 3 aisles is pretty safe;) He's got one of those Carnival hooks, I swear, lol...and when I get home, I have NO clue what the heck I bought;) I've been cautious over the past 7 or 8 years, I learned my lesson early:)

I bought a book once based on advice he was giving...to someone else. :blush:

I didn't get the book from him or even that day, but he definitely planted the seed in my head.

I usually do the wide circle move as well.

I've ended up buying nothing from Crazy Ed and generally skip right by his booth. He no longer attempts to engage me even, as I've always rebuked his attempts to sell me anything because I feel he is generally high on most things -- nor is he carrying the things I want these days.

However, I don't feel like it's someone I can't deal with either. He comes on strong -- but I don't think of him as a crook or anything, just overbearing.

The 2nd time he "caught" me, he sold me a Superman 30, and did some kind of deal where if I bought that, I'd get a SC #19 PLUS 3 other books, for only...I don't remember how much more.

I was not in love with his copy of Superman 30 for the price I paid, but he convinced me it was wonderful (I think I paid about guide and when I got home i lowered the grade) but I had NO intention of buying the other books...he just made it very hard to say no. While I was there, I had the distinct impression that I was the victim of a 3 card Monte game...He also mentioned being an attorney. I kept thinking of other occupations, like magician, hypnotist;) etc;)

However, he was very nice..he even called me and offered to get me discount rooms through some buddy of his for the next show...but I know, I have a hard time saying no, so I do the 3 aisle thing;)

Maybe Roy should contact him for rooms? hm

Nice Report, Brian! (thumbs u

Bob Storms has a wonderful sense of humor, you just have to listen for it. When I first went to Cons, he seemed a little scary, that and the name High Grade, kind of put me off, but then I met Crazy Ed, HE (CE) scared me and I saw the difference between overly friendly and someone who lets you shop in peace:).

I'd shop with Bob anytime...I even have pictures of him smiling:) He's a really nice guy....and very funny...but best of all, he is NOT Crazy Ed...you won't see any hooks at his booth, or any flim flam moves and I never have to walk 3 aisles out of the way, so he doesn't spot me and try to sucker me into buying sell me a book;)

Bob is professional and reserved...just not an in your face fruitcake, which makes shopping with him, very comfortable:)

hehe....true, the last con I attended in Tampa, Crazy Ed was selling so hard that both my wife and I were scared of walking by his booth the rest of the Con after we spent 15 minutes there.

I've ended up buying nothing from Crazy Ed and generally skip right by his booth. He no longer attempts to engage me even, as I've always rebuked his attempts to sell me anything because I feel he is generally high on most things -- nor is he carrying the things I want these days.

However, I don't feel like it's someone I can't deal with either. He comes on strong -- but I don't think of him as a crook or anything, just overbearing.

Hope I didn't give the impression he was a crook. Never came across that way to me, and I've never heard anything like that.

He's got his ways, and they work for him. He's not a bad guy. Just very chatty. I like chatty too, but I prefer someone like Ted's chattiness over CE's.

He's fun to watch though.