• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Iron Man 55 really Thanos true first appearance?

259 posts in this topic

PS. Can we PLEASE stop using the FILM definition of the word "cameo" as the COMIC BOOK definition of the word?

Look, right, wrong, or indifferent, the word "cameo" in comics means "short appearance", regardless of whether it's the character's 1st appearance, or 7,283rd. It doesn't mean the same thing that it does in film.

So can we stop with that argument, please...?

:wishluck:

Ok. I thought you said a cameo is not a first appearance in film.

a brief appearance or voice part of a KNOWN person

So since Wolverine in 180 was not a known person it was not a cameo.

It's his first appearance.

Bingo

Exactly

Holy spoon ... #180 will skyrocket now ... :eek:

I was flipping through an old OSPG (#11) and one of the dealers that was selling back issues was selling Hulk 180 for $12.50 and 181 for $3.75 or something like that. I guess he was banking on that 180 being the first app.

Thats funny! I bought OSPG #7,9 and 11 a few months ago and was looking thru #11 last night and saw that exact same ad and thought it was odd that the Hulk 180 was selling for 4 times what Hulk 181 was going for. I guess 30 years ago 180 was the book to have not 181 (shrug)

For good reason, but the cover appearance has won.

51b4fd2f.jpg

This scan is pretty obvious: #180 is his first app.

It rightfully should. If Jimmy Olsen #134 is the book to get for Darkseid, it's Hulk #180 for Wolverine. Can't have it both ways.

Tell that to everyone and then get back to me, tell me how that works out.

:baiting::jokealert:

-slym

It rightfully should. If Jimmy Olsen #134 is the book to get for Darkseid, it's Hulk #180 for Wolverine. Can't have it both ways.

Jimmy Olsen 134 is not the book to get for Darkseid. It makes Hulk 180 look like an issue of Wolverine's solo title.

Jimmy Olsen 134 is not the book to get for Darkseid. It makes Hulk 180 look like an issue of Wolverine's solo title.

According to the market hivemind, Jimmy Olsen 134 is. None of the other Darkseid books are ramping up in price like this book. So again, the double standard/inconsistency is in play here.

I love this thread. Lots of good points raised across several key books. The one thing we can agree on is the market will set the price. Fanboys, dealers, price guides have not been able to change what the overall markets wants. You have to learn to accept the crazy inconsistencies and if you love a particular character than pick up all copies.

I love Darkseid so I have Olsen 134 and 135. I also have Forever People 1 and New Gods 1 &2. It's the curse of being a collector but I still enjoy the hell out of it and getting to debate some other people who are as ridiculous, if not more so on this site, as me.

I love this thread. Lots of good points raised across several key books. The one thing we can agree on is the market will set the price. Fanboys, dealers, price guides have not been able to change what the overall markets wants. You have to learn to accept the crazy inconsistencies and if you love a particular character than pick up all copies.

:applause:

-slym

I just wonder if those arguing in favor of 181 being Wolvie's first appearance, are those that have a copy.

And on the flip side. I wonder if those arguing in favor of 180 being his first appearance, are those with a nice copy of that book.

I don't have either one (sold multiple copies of both several years ago), and in my unbiased mind. It is obviously #180. To hell with which issue had the better or longer story. His first appearance is HIS FIRST APPEARANCE. With a bright yellow costume and yelling "Hey, I'm The Wolverine peoples. Look at me and remember. I'm going to be big time. Buy multiplies of this book and you can put your kids through college."

I am trying to understand the other side. But it just seems so obvious to me. To heck with what the hobby has deemed more valuable. Value is not the determining factor for "first appearance". It is just the determining factor for "most desired". Which I can understand 181 being the most desired. But not the first appearance.

I was thinking of starting a poll, but changed my mind. I'm sure it's been done before.

As for me, I own a 181, but feel that 180 should be the first appearance. But that doesn't necessarily mean I feel the values for each should be reversed.

I own neither and am fine with 181 being the valuable one.

I just wish people would stop calling it the first appearance.

It's illogical.

I just wonder if those arguing in favor of 181 being Wolvie's first appearance, are those that have a copy.

And on the flip side. I wonder if those arguing in favor of 180 being his first appearance, are those with a nice copy of that book.

I don't have either one (sold multiple copies of both several years ago), and in my unbiased mind. It is obviously #180. To hell with which issue had the better or longer story. His first appearance is HIS FIRST APPEARANCE. With a bright yellow costume and yelling "Hey, I'm The Wolverine peoples. Look at me and remember. I'm going to be big time. Buy multiplies of this book and you can put your kids through college."

I am trying to understand the other side. But it just seems so obvious to me. To heck with what the hobby has deemed more valuable. Value is not the determining factor for "first appearance". It is just the determining factor for "most desired". Which I can understand 181 being the most desired. But not the first appearance.

I own neither. I just think dismissing IH#180 and/or any "cameo" from being a first appearance is silly.

-slym

Best use of hyperbole all day.

^^

And no one has mentioned Galactus first appearance across FF 48 and 49 or the real headache Adam Warlock across FF 66, 67 and Thor 165. First cocoon, first cameo, and first full. Oh my! :makepoint: