• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Iron Man 55 really Thanos true first appearance?

259 posts in this topic

I was flipping through an old OSPG (#11) and one of the dealers that was selling back issues was selling Hulk 180 for $12.50 and 181 for $3.75 or something like that. I guess he was banking on that 180 being the first app.

Thats funny! I bought OSPG #7,9 and 11 a few months ago and was looking thru #11 last night and saw that exact same ad and thought it was odd that the Hulk 180 was selling for 4 times what Hulk 181 was going for. I guess 30 years ago 180 was the book to have not 181 (shrug)

I guess 30 years ago 180 was the book to have not 181 (shrug)

No, but since there was no real information dissemination back then, you had to trust dealers to some extent. A lot of people bought blind at that time, especially mail order.

No, but since there was no real information dissemination back then, you had to trust dealers to some extent. A lot of people bought blind at that time, especially mail order.

I forget who the dealer was but it must have been a BIG one since the ad was like 5 full pages in OSPG.

I was flipping through an old OSPG (#11) and one of the dealers that was selling back issues was selling Hulk 180 for $12.50 and 181 for $3.75 or something like that. I guess he was banking on that 180 being the first app.

Thats funny! I bought OSPG #7,9 and 11 a few months ago and was looking thru #11 last night and saw that exact same ad and thought it was odd that the Hulk 180 was selling for 4 times what Hulk 181 was going for. I guess 30 years ago 180 was the book to have not 181 (shrug)

For good reason, but the cover appearance has won.

51b4fd2f.jpg

doh!

Nope, and as I have explained multiple times (and I realize that it is hard to believe today), people used to actually buy comics to READ, especially cheap BA books like this.

So if you were a Wolverine fan from the X-Men, and wanted to read about Wolverine and learn more about the character, would you want a book with him in a single panel, or one where he has a knock-down/drag-out fight with *both* Hulk and Wendigo?

The cover didn't hurt, but the fact that it was the very first time Wolverine was "in action" against two of Marvel's big bruisers was the real key in the late-70's and early-80's, when this book could be had for a song.

And once the hobby stagnated in the early-90's, what we had then, is what we have today, and what we will probably continue to have forever.

doh!

Nope, and as I have explained multiple times (and I realize that it is hard to believe today), people used to actually buy comics to READ, especially cheap BA books like this.

So if you were a Wolverine fan from the X-Men, and wanted to read about Wolverine and learn more about the character, would you want a book with him in a single panel, or one where he has a knock-down/drag-out fight with *both* Hulk and Wendigo?

The cover didn't hurt, but the fact that it was the very first time Wolverine was "in action" against two of Marvel's big bruisers was the real key in the late-70's and early-80's, when this book could be had for a song.

And once the hobby stagnated in the early-90's, what we had then, is what we have today, and what we will probably continue to have forever.

Why isnt the back issue pricing in overstreet 11

"Hulk 180 for $12.50 and 181 for $3.75"

evidence against that? Wouldn't the more in-demand to read 181 command more than the cameo 180?

What about gambit? He appears in x-men annual 14 similar to thanos in page count, but people only think of xmen 266 as his first.

X-Men Ann #14 as far as I'm concerned. OSPG states that as well. Over time it may catch on.

What about Web of Spider-Man #18? True 1st (veeeery brief) app of Brock/Venom? Granted it's just Brock/Venom's arm shoving Peter onto the train tracks, but the 1st none the less.

I just recently re read Iron Man 55 and realized that this might not really be the true first appearance of Thanos.

Why does this crepe keep popping up, and from people who have *supposedly* read the book in question? doh!

First off, villain first-apps are notorious for being brief, and in my experience, Thanos in Iron Man 55 takes up an inordinate amount of the book, with him appearing on seven pages (not even counting the Robot-switch at the end).

Secondly, the "robot switch" (as explained quite clearly by Iron Man) takes place after he squishes his boot, and would in no way impact the previous pages/panels, some of which are flashback on Thanos' origin and fight with the Destroyer.

So, for your viewing pleasure, here are the 7 pages of the book (probably close to a record for a villain first-app), and if you want to complain about this kind of stuff, then check out other first-app books, like ASM 50, where the Kingpin pops in for a page or two at the end, and is not even part of the main plot.

Damn you, WEBHEAD. Damn you... :ohnoez:

I just recently re read Iron Man 55 and realized that this might not really be the true first appearance of Thanos.

Why does this crepe keep popping up, and from people who have *supposedly* read the book in question? doh!

First off, villain first-apps are notorious for being brief, and in my experience, Thanos in Iron Man 55 takes up an inordinate amount of the book, with him appearing on seven pages (not even counting the Robot-switch at the end).

Secondly, the "robot switch" (as explained quite clearly by Iron Man) takes place after he squishes his boot, and would in no way impact the previous pages/panels, some of which are flashback on Thanos' origin and fight with the Destroyer.

So, for your viewing pleasure, here are the 7 pages of the book (probably close to a record for a villain first-app), and if you want to complain about this kind of stuff, then check out other first-app books, like ASM 50, where the Kingpin pops in for a page or two at the end, and is not even part of the main plot.

Damn you, WEBHEAD. Damn you... :ohnoez:

Glad I could raise up the storm!!!! But in Iron Man 55 since Thanos has most of his appearance as a "story told by the Destroyer" does it really count as the official first appr. In the same breath FF48 is Galactus first appr as well :banana:

IM 55 is 1st app. of Thanos

Capt. Marvel 25 is Thanos cameo (5 panels)

Capt. Marvel 26 is minor Thanos app. & 1st cover

Capt. Marvel 27 & 28 are 2nd & 3rd app. of Thanos

Capt. Marvel 25 was only a month after IM 55; Logan's Run is his first solo story, but it's 4 years later.

So you've got cameoes, minor appearances & full appearances.

:insane:Don't forget Marvel Feature #12.

Same as Incredible Hulk 180 vs. 181. Should'nt IH 180 be Wolverines first app.? (shrug)

180 is Wolvies first appearance.

180 is 1st brief app. of Wolverine

181 is 1st full appearance

182 is a cameo

GSXM 1 is 2nd full app.

IM 55 is 1st app. of Thanos

Capt. Marvel 25 is Thanos cameo (5 panels)

Capt. Marvel 26 is minor Thanos app. & 1st cover

Capt. Marvel 27 & 28 are 2nd & 3rd app. of Thanos

Capt. Marvel 25 was only a month after IM 55; Logan's Run is his first solo story, but it's 4 years later.

So you've got cameoes, minor appearances & full appearances.

:insane:

Don't forget Marvel Feature #12.

Why isnt the back issue pricing in overstreet 11

"Hulk 180 for $12.50 and 181 for $3.75"

evidence against that? Wouldn't the more in-demand to read 181 command more than the cameo 180?

Because DEALERS set those prices. Once the books became more well-known and part of the hobby lexicon, readers/collectors rebelled against this and pushed 181 higher.

Glad I could raise up the storm!!!! But in Iron Man 55 since Thanos has most of his appearance as a "story told by the Destroyer" does it really count as the official first appr.

Yes, that is a flashback, and when combined with his awe-inspiring entrance (squashing IM's glove) those definitely count as "Thanos pages".

Seriously, I do not understand why people harp on this issue - it's like some urban legend - first villain appearances are rarely 7-9 pages, and if you want to squawk, then concentrate on FF 48 and ASM 50, among others.

Blink and you will miss the panels.

I forget who the dealer was but it must have been a BIG one since the ad was like 5 full pages in OSPG.

Actually, you are correct. 30 years ago, it wasn't clear which one was more important. When the X-men became very hot, people started going after Wolverine's first appearance. About half of collectors went after 180 and the other half 181. It took years to sort out until 181 was clearly more sought after. But in 1978-83, it was a source of much debate.

"Actually, you are correct. 30 years ago, it wasn't clear which one was more important. When the X-men became very hot, people started going after Wolverine's first appearance. About half of collectors went after 180 and the other half 181. It took years to sort out until 181 was clearly more sought after. But in 1978-83, it was a source of much debate. "

Helpful post. I was young at the time but I seem to remember overhearing debates on this at my LCS. It seems that the term "first appearance" is not necessarily the only deciding factor. The deciding factor is what book people want most. These are definitely fun debates and I think they add to the hobby.