• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Iron Man 55 really Thanos true first appearance?

259 posts in this topic

"Actually, you are correct. 30 years ago, it wasn't clear which one was more important. When the X-men became very hot, people started going after Wolverine's first appearance. About half of collectors went after 180 and the other half 181. It took years to sort out until 181 was clearly more sought after. But in 1978-83, it was a source of much debate. "

Helpful post. I was young at the time but I seem to remember overhearing debates on this at my LCS. It seems that the term "first appearance" is not necessarily the only deciding factor. The deciding factor is what book people want most. These are definitely fun debates and I think they add to the hobby.

The irony, of course, is that it is precisely these kinds of debates which lead people to decide what they want the most...

That's a great point. Hulk #181's cover surely has a lot to do with the decision people made over the years.

(thumbs u

>>I have both Hulk 180 & 181 so I don't mind either way, but just to throw some fuel on the fire :devil:

What if Hulk 180 not only had Wolvie in the last panel, but also him in the background on the front cover - what that have convinced more people of it being his "first" appearance?

Hulk 180 should be the book of choice for Wolverine fans,clearly the 1st app. of wolvie.

If it's mandatory, then how is it a choice? Is your address 600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

He works at the Federal Trade Commission...? hm

Back then, people still collected comics to read them, as the tpb still wasn't as available as it is today.

So, a story with Wolverine vs a panel with Wolverine was probably the reason 181 won out.

Theory.

It's not a theory, it's the truth, but the CGC Speculators of today simply cannot grasp the concept of collecting books to read and enjoy.

That is why Hulk 180/181 went from common 25-cent back issues, to $1, then $3, $5, $10, $15, $20, $30, etc., People liked Wolverine from the X-Men and all those " * in Hulk 181" editor notations, and wanted to look back to learn more about the hirsute mutant.

114188.jpg.06e3ce8b16d7fc26a037da4a88ab939f.jpg

Back then, people still collected comics to read them, as the tpb still wasn't as available as it is today.

So, a story with Wolverine vs a panel with Wolverine was probably the reason 181 won out.

Theory.

It's not a theory, it's the truth, but the CGC Speculators of today simply cannot grasp the concept of collecting books to read and enjoy.

That is why Hulk 180/181 went from common 25-cent back issues, to $1, then $3, $5, $10, $15, $20, $30, etc., People liked Wolverine from the X-Men and all those " * in Hulk 181" editor notations, and wanted to look back to learn more about the hirsute mutant.

I know little details disturb you, but Prof X said BATTLE with the Hulk, not FIRST APPEARANCE in the Hulk's comic book.

I know, I know, tiny, trivial detail....

hm

I know little details disturb you, but Prof X said BATTLE with the Hulk, not FIRST APPEARANCE in the Hulk's comic book.

I am not sure what you *think* you found (your mind is a very mysterious place) but that is my entire point, that back in the day, Wolverine fans wanted to READ about Wolverine's battle with the Hulk, in his first FULL appearance. That was where you first saw him in action, learned about his adamantium claws, got a feel for his overall fighting ability, his personality, etc.

Look at my above quote and it should be clear, even to you. doh!

I can't tell you how many times as a kid I read a last-panel cliffhanger ending, only to rush out to find the conclusion, which was the real meat of the story. I wanted to see how it turned out, not look at a single panel over and over and over.

I am not sure what you *think* you found (your mind is a very mysterious place) but that is my entire point, that back in the day, Wolverine fans wanted to READ about Wolverine's battle with the Hulk, in his first FULL appearance. That was where you first saw him in action, learned about his adamantium claws, got a feel for his overall fighting ability, his personality, etc.

I can't tell you how many times as a kid I read a last-panel cliffhanger ending, only to rush out to find the conclusion, which was the real meat of the story. I wanted to see how it turned out, not look at a single panel over and over and over.

You're missing the point...as usual.

if you're going to nitpick details, Len's reference to #181 (which he also wrote), was in response to wolvie's BATTLE with the hulk, which did, in fact, take place in #181...not #180.

I am not disagreeing with you that #181 is more important than #180. It very clearly is.

And I'm also not disagreeing with you that the editorial references to #181 create a subconscious link in the readers' minds.

But Len's dialogue referred to the battle, not Wolvie's appearance. Since it was one story, Len would have been perfectly correct if he'd put "Hulk #180-181" or "Hulk #180-182." I'm sure his reasoning was entirely undeveloped when he did it, certainly not knowing how rabid the fanbase would be about this character a few years later. I'm QUITE certain he wasn't making a political statement about what he felt was Wolvie's first "real" appearance. That would be screwy.

I have long known that people who use the term "missing the point" are the biggest insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in society, as they cannot say what they are really thinking, which is:

"You don't agree with me!"

On a side note, Rockhead here has firmly reminded me why I dislike this place - way too many intractable psychos living on here and posting 100 times a day. doh!

I have long known that people who use the term "missing the point" are the biggest insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in society, as they cannot say what they are really thinking, which is:

On a side note, Rockhead here has firmly reminded me why I dislike this place - way too many intractable psychos living on here and posting 100 times a day. doh!

It's good to have you back, JC!

hm

What's the word I'm looking for, here...?

Starts with an "H"...

Ah yes.

Hypocrite.

You missed the point, JC, and that's been aptly demonstrated. No less than TWICE in my last post, I went to pains to point out that I agreed with your assertions, demonstrating a conciliatory tone VERY few grant around here...

...and yet you STILL pick one sentence out...an accurate one, at that...to focus on.

And on top of that...it was nothing but a nose tweak! :foryou:

lol

If someone challenging your dearly held notions distresses you so much you have to whine about it incessantly, maybe you should go back on hiatus.

(thumbs u