• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Iron Man 55 really Thanos true first appearance?

259 posts in this topic

I just recently re read Iron Man 55 and realized that this might not really be the true first appearance of Thanos.

Why does this crepe keep popping up, and from people who have *supposedly* read the book in question? doh!

First off, villain first-apps are notorious for being brief, and in my experience, Thanos in Iron Man 55 takes up an inordinate amount of the book, with him appearing on seven pages (not even counting the Robot-switch at the end).

Secondly, the "robot switch" (as explained quite clearly by Iron Man) takes place after he squishes his boot, and would in no way impact the previous pages/panels, some of which are flashback on Thanos' origin and fight with the Destroyer.

So, for your viewing pleasure, here are the 7 pages of the book (probably close to a record for a villain first-app), and if you want to complain about this kind of stuff, then check out other first-app books, like ASM 50, where the Kingpin pops in for a page or two at the end, and is not even part of the main plot.

Damn you, WEBHEAD. Damn you... :ohnoez:

Lord in Heaven, you may not be the cause of this catastrophe, webhead, but I hold you responsible.

On a side note, Rockhead here has firmly reminded me why I dislike this place - way too many intractable psychos living on here and posting 100 times a day. doh!

If I drove JC off again, you all owe me beer. And good beer, not Pabst.

Now we just need someone to drive ME off, and this board will be PERFECT.

(cue pretty much anybody.)

On a side note, Rockhead here has firmly reminded me why I dislike this place - way too many intractable psychos living on here and posting 100 times a day. doh!

We need to invent a new term to describe this because "pot calling the kettle black" does not even begin to come close to doing it justice.

You need help with your subtext sense, padawan.

That's Star Wars Nerdese for "newb."

Ahh, gotcha. (thumbs u

And it has been duly noted.

My subtext senors are off due to my internal impasse about Thano's true first appearance. :kidaround:

Thano?

Who the hell is Thano?

:shrug:

Is that like off-brand Drano™?

On an unrelated note, why is Daredevil 169 considered Elektra's 2nd appearance? It is, but it's a ridiculously minor cameo.

She's not on the cover, and she appears in (if I recall correctly) 10 panels--9 panels on one page--all in shadow, and one small panel on the next.

That's a cameo. Yes--technically it's a second appearance, but Wolverine's appearance in Hulk 182 was more substantial, and his "2nd appearance" is generally considered to be Giant Size X-men 1.

Ahh, gotcha. (thumbs u

My subtext senors are off due to my internal impasse about Thano's true first appearance. :kidaround:

Thano?

Who the hell is Thano?

Is that like off-brand Drano™?

lol

Or his brother? (shrug)

Is it worse that I made a mistake or would it have been worse if I used editor? Since I know how you feel about editing. :D

Ahh, gotcha. (thumbs u

Thano?

Who the hell is Thano?

Is that like off-brand Drano?

lol

Or his brother? (shrug)

Is it worse that I made a mistake or would it have been worse if I used editor? Since I know how you feel about editing. :D

There's a secret to hidden editing...

I'll let you figure it out...or someone can tell you....