• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Iron Man 55 really Thanos true first appearance?

259 posts in this topic

What about gambit? He appears in x-men annual 14 similar to thanos in page count, but people only think of xmen 266 as his first.

X-Men Ann #14 as far as I'm concerned. OSPG states that as well. Over time it may catch on.

What about Web of Spider-Man #18? True 1st (veeeery brief) app of Brock/Venom? Granted it's just Brock/Venom's arm shoving Peter onto the train tracks, but the 1st none the less.

Gambit's first app in XMen Annual #14 is an accident of scheduling, and nothing more. Gambit appears in the background, is not part of the story in any meaningful way, and really could have been excised, and nothing would have been changed.

Fair enough :hi:

However...

(shrug) Saw him there first :hi:

You need help with your subtext sense, padawan.

That's Star Wars Nerdese for "newb."

Ahh, gotcha. (thumbs u

And it has been duly noted.

My subtext senors are off due to my internal impasse about Thano's true first appearance. :kidaround:

Thano?

Who the hell is Thano?

:shrug:

Is that like off-brand Drano?

lol

Or his brother? (shrug)

Is it worse that I made a mistake or would it have been worse if I used editor? Since I know how you feel about editing. :D

There's a secret to hidden editing...

I'll let you figure it out...or someone can tell you....

:baiting:

I know. I've seen you edit your shet before.

BTW regarding the Hulk 180/181 thing.

The CGC label clearly states Hulk 180 is "1st appearance of Wolverine in cameo on last page"

Hulk 181 label states, "1st Full Appearance Wolverine"

Perfectly apt and explicit descriptions.

Not that it matters, but I was going through the 2009 70th anniversary variants that Marvel had, the white cover books with the character, and "est. 19XX" at the bottom. On the back covers, the cover of the character's first appearance is reproduced. So, for Torch on Cap #46, it's Marvel Comics #1, for Cap #601, Cap #1 is on the back, etc.

On the back cover of Wolverine #73, it's Hulk #180.

No conclusions, just food for thought.

!BlQHEsQB2k~$(KGrHqUH-EUEt!3UB8T1BL,37Lgy)g~~_3.JPG

Hulk 180 should be the book of choice for Wolverine fans,clearly the 1st app. of wolvie.

If it's mandatory, then how is it a choice? Is your address 600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

Is that the ramada Inn down the street from the white house?

What about 1st apocalypse, 1st taskmaster and 1st archangel ? All appear very briefly in their first appearance ( two on the last page , I'm not sure how many panels for archangel) I'm on board with these being considered true 1st appearances. Who decides what defines a cameo or full appearance? I know it's common sense to call a 1 panel appearance a cameo but there are always exceptions. For example , X factor 5 has apocalypse cast in shadow only showing his outline, while hulk 180 and avengers 195 show full color depictions of wolverine and taskmaster. And in the xmen annual with gambit I believe it's 7 pages or panels, these examples all vary but are still considered cameos.

Also what about the first boba fett and Harley Quinn, those tend to stir up some debate.

Hulk 180 should be the book of choice for Wolverine fans,clearly the 1st app. of wolvie.

If it's mandatory, then how is it a choice? Is your address 600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

What about 1st apocalypse, 1st taskmaster and 1st archangel ? All appear very briefly in their first appearance ( two on the last page , I'm not sure how many panels for archangel) I'm on board with theses being considered true 1st appearances. Who decides what defines a cameo or full appearance? I know it's common sense to call a 1 panel appearance a cameo but there are always exceptions. For example , X factor 5 has apocalypse cast in shadow only showing his outline, while hulk 181 and avengers 195 show full color depictions of wolverine and taskmaster. And in the xmen annual with gambit I believe it's 7 pages or panels, these examples all vary but are still considered cameos.

Also what about the first boba fett and Harley Quinn, those tend to stir up some debate.

I was talking to oakman29. He wouldn't have gone to the right address even if I had gotten the house number correct. He still thinks Colonial Mustard is a character in a board game.

Furthermore, it's the buying public that establish which books are in demand as first appearances and they do it with their pocketbooks.

Colonial Mustard is THE brand for Fenway Franks. A match made in Heaven, delicious. (Steam the rolls.)

Colonial mustard , with the candlestick, in the library

Colonial Mustard is THE brand for Fenway Franks. A match made in Heaven, delicious. (Steam the rolls.)

Well, actually, the library was just a cameo. In reality it was Colonial mustard , with the candlestick, in the ballpark.

Well, actually, the library was just a cameo. In reality it was Colonial mustard , with the candlestick, in the ballpark.

That yellow basteerd!!!!

On the green monster :signfunny:

What about 1st apocalypse, 1st taskmaster and 1st archangel ? All appear very briefly in their first appearance ( two on the last page , I'm not sure how many panels for archangel) I'm on board with these being considered true 1st appearances. Who decides what defines a cameo or full appearance? I know it's common sense to call a 1 panel appearance a cameo but there are always exceptions. For example , X factor 5 has apocalypse cast in shadow only showing his outline, while hulk 180 and avengers 195 show full color depictions of wolverine and taskmaster. And in the xmen annual with gambit I believe it's 7 pages or panels, these examples all vary but are still considered cameos.

The first Boba Fett is the Marvel Comics Illustrated Version of Empire Strikes Back paperback (1st printing.) I wasn't aware of a debate concerning this.

The first Boba Fett is the Marvel Comics Illustrated Version of Empire Strikes Back paperback (1st printing.) I wasn't aware of a debate concerning this.

:o

The Federal Trade Commission? hm That's 600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

A really nice United States Post Office? That's 600 Pennsylvania Avenue SE

The SE neighborhood is Capital Hill South, across the street is Mr. Henry's, which doesn't suck.The legendary BangZoom collection was discovered a couple blocks south of there, FWIW.

What about 1st apocalypse, 1st taskmaster and 1st archangel ? All appear very briefly in their first appearance ( two on the last page , I'm not sure how many panels for archangel) I'm on board with theses being considered true 1st appearances. Who decides what defines a cameo or full appearance? I know it's common sense to call a 1 panel appearance a cameo but there are always exceptions. For example , X factor 5 has apocalypse cast in shadow only showing his outline, while hulk 181 and avengers 195 show full color depictions of wolverine and taskmaster. And in the xmen annual with gambit I believe it's 7 pages or panels, these examples all vary but are still considered cameos.

I was talking to oakman29. He wouldn't have gone to the right address even if I had gotten the house number correct. He still thinks Colonial Mustard is a character in a board game.

Furthermore, it's the buying public that establish which books are in demand as first appearances and they do it with their pocketbooks.

This is why I love you. :foryou: You're so snarky.

The Federal Trade Commission? hm That's 600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

A really nice United States Post Office? That's 600 Pennsylvania Avenue SE

The SE neighborhood is Capital Hill South, across the street is Mr. Henry's, which doesn't suck.The legendary BangZoom collection was discovered a couple blocks south of there, FWIW.

So there.

I think all the "cameo" books are a great buy on speculation. They are cheaper, tend to track percentage gains with the "First Full Appearance" and have the upshot that 30 years from now collectors may changes their minds and want the first time the character appeared in a story. There is also the added scarcity bonus is some situations. For instance the last panel of 180 caused a ton of hype for 181 and higher print orders. Both of these books are good to own, but I bet you see a better return on 180 over the next 10-20 years. I don't think 180 will supplant 181, but I think it will pull closer in value.

And I really don't think there is any questions that Thanos' first appearance is IM 55.

Question? I am new to the boards.

I have 4 copies of Iron Man #55, kinda hoarded them when I first heard the rumor about Thanos.

Should I sell them now? or wait until the Avengers 2 comes out.

I am worried about the sell the news phenomenon.

Thanks

Question? I am new to the boards.

I have 4 copies of Iron Man #55, kinda hoarded them when I first heard the rumor about Thanos.

Should I sell them now? or wait until the Avengers 2 comes out.

I am worried about the sell the news phenomenon.

Thanks

Sell them to me