• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #181 CGC 9.8...record GPA low

322 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230653815346

Sold for about $3,000+ lower than the lowest GPA recorded. Won't be recorded on GPA because of the "contamination" with two other slabbed books.

I gave it a shot, but I really don't have $9K lying around, even if there is a near guaranteed $3000+ profit in it.

Been a long time since I got excited about an auction on eBay, though...

I may have been hesitant to purchase this(ese) comics from him - I look at feedback and previous purchases... and he purchased this...

Poster

and shortly thereafter had two 181s up for sale... BUT the 9.6 buyer has left him feedback. lol

Sold for about $3,000+ lower than the lowest GPA recorded. Won't be recorded on GPA because of the "contamination" with two other slabbed books.

I gave it a shot, but I really don't have $9K lying around, even if there is a near guaranteed $3000+ profit in it.

Could you clarify? Are you saying that it won't be entered as a statistical data point because a low outlier will contaminate the value distribution (and corresponding range, moments,etc.)? Yet, if one sold for 50% above the historical high, it would in fact, apply towards the set of observations? If I'm understanding what you wrote properly, that is the absolute worst form of revisionist bias (unless of course they crop outliers on both sides, which is still biased).

Could you clarify? Are you saying that it won't be entered as a statistical data point because a low outlier will contaminate the value distribution (and corresponding range, moments,etc.)? Yet, if one sold for 50% above the historical high, it would in fact, apply towards the set of observations? If I'm understanding what you wrote properly, that is the absolute worst form of revisionist bias (unless of course they crop outliers on both sides, which is still biased).

Two other books were offered as a "bonus" in this sale, therefore the auction was actually for three books instead of just the 181, negating its inclusion in the 181 GPA figures.

Two other books were offered as a "bonus" in this sale, therefore the auction was actually for three books instead of just the 181, negating its inclusion in the 181 GPA figures.

Ah, ok. Considering the value of those 2 books is trivial with respect to the main item, it would be a simple matter to subtract off (even high range) estimates or just leave them. Secondly the listing explicitly stated they were 2 'bonus' comics to be thrown in, implying value of throw ins is for all intents and purposes irrelevant. I would be interested to see a 100k+ book go 50% over historical GPA, with an est. 500 dollar mint copy of a modern thrown in and then have them subtract that as a data pt. due to contamination. Given that it might be a bit unusual, I suppose it might be more understandable if it was their fixed policy to exclude ANY sales that had any freebies thrown in. Still seems very biased and dodgy to exclude a 9.8 outlier on the low side of a major key on that basis.

It's a good thing this will not be included in GPA since due to caution of many genuine buyers the FMV of this book was not realized, so it would only go to skew value downwards due to an anomaly sale that I will be shocked to find out is genuine.

No disrespect to the seller but this one has Caveat Emptor written all over it (as already pointed out by others in this thread)... spidey senses tingling.

And if it is genuine then buyer rejoice you just made $3k before you even get the book!

Ah, ok. Considering the value of those 2 books is trivial with respect to the main item, it would be a simple matter to subtract off (even high range) estimates or just leave them. Secondly the listing explicitly stated they were 2 'bonus' comics to be thrown in, implying value of throw ins is for all intents and purposes irrelevant. I would be interested to see a 100k+ book go 50% over historical GPA, with an est. 500 dollar mint copy of a modern thrown in and then have them subtract that as a data pt. due to contamination. Given that it might be a bit unusual, I suppose it might be more understandable if it was their fixed policy to exclude ANY sales that had any freebies thrown in. Still seems very biased and dodgy to exclude a 9.8 outlier on the low side of a major key on that basis.

As Cheryl said, it wouldn't have mattered what the final price was. GPA cannot and will not include any prices that are "contaminated", which is excellent policy. They have no way of knowing what precise dollar value belongs to each book.

The Suscha News copy sold at auction for 10k on CC. It had perfect centering and WP. As more 9.8s come to market, it should be expected to see price drops. Not a question of lesser interest in the book, just basic economics really. Anyone willing to sell their 9.8 for under 10k, drop me a line...

Yup, 181 @ 9.8 have come a long way from the time where there were only 8 copies floating around with asking prices of 20k+ (there are now 43 copies)

At the rate it's going...my guess is 3-5 years from now, 9.8s go for 7-8k... unless of course the well runs dry.

i placed a bid on the ebay copy for $6100.

3 hours before auction end i got a message from the seller asking me if i wanted to offer $7K outside of ebay to end the auction early.

i declined.

then it ended at $8700.

yesterday i got a message (not a second chance offer) from the seller telling me:

We noticed that you were bidding on our item. The buyer was not able to come thru with verified funds so we are offering the item again to the other bidders. We will not re-list the item as auction but instead offer a "buy it now option" specific to the bidder that wants it. If you are still interested, please let us know as soon as you can. The winning bid was $8700 but we are willing to consider what you would offer as close to that number as possible?

i asked to see photos, not scans of the book and for the second chance offer to be made formally and am now awaiting response.

seems very suspect to me. i have decided not to purchase either way.

what you guys make of it?

3 hours before auction end i got a message from the seller asking me if i wanted to offer $7K outside of ebay to end the auction early.

i declined.

then it ended at $8700.

yesterday i got a message (not a second chance offer) from the seller telling me:

We noticed that you were bidding on our item. The buyer was not able to come thru with verified funds so we are offering the item again to the other bidders. We will not re-list the item as auction but instead offer a "buy it now option" specific to the bidder that wants it. If you are still interested, please let us know as soon as you can. The winning bid was $8700 but we are willing to consider what you would offer as close to that number as possible?

i asked to see photos, not scans of the book and for the second chance offer to be made formally and am now awaiting response.

S.C.A.M.

i declined.

then it ended at $8700.

S.C.A.M.

(thumbs u

i declined.

then it ended at $8700.

S.C.A.M.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u