• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IKEA Comic Book Photo Frame Hack

30 posts in this topic

I've used a front/back glass panel frame solution from Home Outfitters for treasuries and thought I'd pass this hack (uses IKEA frames) along for wall-mounting regular sized comics.

comics-5-300x225.jpg

More details here

I might take that framers views on UV light with a grain of salt. :pullhair:

Definitely looks great. I might see about getting some inexpensive sheets of UV screen to put on the glass.

Great looking frames.

My wife is the manager at our local Ikea. And they've just given us about $150 worth of vouchers as part of her maternity gift pack.

Looks like I've finally found a great use for them :)

Buddy,

I used those Ribba shelves at our old house in exactly the same way. Cheap, unobtrusive and the little lip is great for preventing accidental slab-slippage.

Hello Everyone!

I am Youseph, and I noticed today that my website took a bit a traffic spike today and most of it coming from the Collectors Society forums. I just wanted to thank comicwiz for posting a link to my post on the IKEA Photo Frame Hack and thanks to everyone who checked it out.

I also think Buddy Blank's IKEA Ribba Shelf is friggen awesome!

If anyone has any questions about my hack, i will be watching.

Thanks again everyone!

Hello Everyone!

I am Youseph, and I noticed today that my website took a bit a traffic spike today and most of it coming from the Collectors Society forums. I just wanted to thank comicwiz for posting a link to my post on the IKEA Photo Frame Hack and thanks to everyone who checked it out.

I also think Buddy Blank's IKEA Ribba Shelf is friggen awesome!

If anyone has any questions about my hack, i will be watching.

Thanks again everyone!

Welcome to the boards!

Your hack is a great low-budget way to display comics, and I think it's great you took the time to describe how you did it in your blog.

And yeah, Buddys Ribba and Billy solutions are awesome!

I've seen some creative ways to use Ribba shelves, and the common thread with this shelving solution is that they are a great way to use upper wall space for libraries, so it's superbly intuitive and creative to use them to display comics.

Your hack is a great low-budget way to display comics, and I think it's great you took the time to describe how you did it in your blog.

I had been looking for a solution to display my comics for the longest time. I was so stoked when I found these frames. I just wish I didn't live in Juneau, because the only time I can get new frames is when I go to Seattle.

Today I posted a follow up story on the photo frames from a reader of my site who submitted to me photos of his ikea photo frames. Its pretty cool to see what other people are framing.

I wanted to ask you all a question actually. I know some people who read my site e-mail me and are worried about the UV fading still. What do you guys think about it? Even though what I am reading (granted not the greatest source) says not to worry about it aslong as direct sunlight does not hit the comics.

How do you all feel about UV protection?

do CGC graded books do anything for UV protection that I am not?

There are UV protective sheets which could be used on a framing solution like this.

I agree that UV protective film will not prevent fading if the comics are wall-mounted in a room which gets bright light, either natural or through room lighting. Flourescent bulbs can be especially harmful.

That said, I think that some protection is better than none at all.

There are solutions on the market which are ideal, for both archival and UV protective applications, however even these solutions aren't capable of protecting the item in extreme environmental conditions.

An example is the type of archival acrylic case AFA uses as a tamper evident holder when it grades action figures and toys. It is a more expensive product option when submitting to them, but a wiser choice for more valuable collectibles.

There are UV protective sheets which could be used on a framing solution like this.

I agree that UV protective film will not prevent fading if the comics are wall-mounted in a room which gets bright light, either natural or through room lighting. Flourescent bulbs can be especially harmful.

That said, I think that some protection is better than none at all.

There are solutions on the market which are ideal, for both archival and UV protective applications, however even these solutions aren't capable of protecting the item in extreme environmental conditions.

An example is the type of archival acrylic case AFA uses as a tamper evident holder when it grades action figures and toys. It is a more expensive product option when submitting to them, but a wiser choice for more valuable collectibles.

A couple things about UV spectrum and sunlight. All sunlight has UV rays in it. Even it the sunlight is indirect, it will have UV rays in it and fading will happen. Obviously, direct sunlight will be worse and more damaging.

Flourescent light are an interesting thing. The bulbs do give off UV. What most people don't know is that many fixtures for flourescent lights actually have UV filters on them in order to protect the plastic fixture. Obviously, if the fixture doesn't screen the light, then UV exposure is greater. I'm not sure about glass fixtures

In general, I would say if you care about the book, get some UV filtering film.