• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project: Sugar and Spike
4 4

557 posts in this topic

The CGC census shows that Sugar and Spike #3 has four graded copies total so far...

1- in 6.5

2- in 5.0

1- in 4.0

boy is this a tough set in grade ! even accounting for any and all of the higher grade raws in the wild its still tough !! maybe my 3.5 isn't so bad after all lol 

Unlike the tough first two issues of Sugar and Spike , with issue #3 they start to become a little more readily available albeit in low grade....

currently at this time there a three copies for sale on eBay although all  of them are likely less than VG ,the prices range from $35 to $70 for these lower grade copies 

and in the completed listing over the last 2 months eBay shows that three copies have sold recently ,two low grade low priced copies..

and one copy graded 5.0 by another company, this copy appeared to be fairly graded and was listed for $210.00 , it was listed  and re-listed for many months and finally was sold as a best offer so likely 10-15% off that price

Recent news of issue #1

today 10/17/17 there are currently no Sugar and Spike #1 for sale any where on the internet.......Heritage has a couple which the owner may or may not be accepting offers , most likely not unless offer was through the roof.

the most recent sale i am aware of was about a month ago on eBay , a very low grade water damaged #1 was listed for sale on a monday night at about 8:00 pm eastern time at $400 and sold almost immediately !

admittedly the front cover presented nicely on this issue which if sent to CGC could likely have received a grade of  1.5 - 1.8

Recent news of issue #2

on this date 10/17/17 there a two (2) issue of Sugar and Spike #2 for sale on the eBay....

On eBay a newer listing graded as a 2.5 raw is aggressively priced at $500 with a best offer option, in my opinion the staples look a bit rusted which is a no-go for me at any price

also on eBay there is a reader copy listed as a 4.0 with a comment that the front cover has a complete tear through it which has been repaired by glue

this issue is somewhat reasonably priced at $114 and there are 6 people watching it, this issue would likely bring a CGC purple label 3.0 but the price is within reason for someone wanting an cheaper example

of this tough issue, one would think that one of those 6 watchers would pull the trigger but this issue has been listed and relisted on eBay for at least  a year  .....

Remarkably ,... Sugar and Spike issue #4 has only one graded copy in the CGC census as of 10/23/17 ,.. a CGC 5.0

This white border comic has an issue date of Oct/Nov 1956 and while i was aware that ALL early issues 

are tough to non-existent in higher grades, i was surprised that the census did not yet currently have one higher than 5.0 

i am sure there are some of fine or better condition raws out there yet to be graded.....

i will have to pull mine out again to grade,.. although i am certain that it is a low grade CGC 3.0 at best.........

There are currently six (6) copies of Sugar and Spike #4 for sale on eBay

ranging in price from $40 -$175

Mycomicshop has three low grade issues priced around $40 each

of the other three for sale none look much better than VG- 3.5 at best 

and even the copy  advertised as VG+ and asking $175 looks no better than a VG either