• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project: Sugar and Spike
4 4

557 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

@Silver or @OtherEric

Do you know if those two above are Sheldon Mayer?

If I had to guess- and that's all I can do- I don't think either of those are Mayer, or at least not all Mayer.  On the beach cover, the man on the right looks nothing like Mayer's work to me.  The rest might be Mayer, with the man added to fill in the space on the cover.  On the scooter cover, I don't see Mayer ever drawing a scooter like that.  But the figures, or at least the faces, may be stats.

I decent looking Sugar and Spike #2 was on eBay recently , it had some writing on the cover but looked structurally sound and appeared to be a solid VG

with a starting bid of $99.00

i considered buying it for a minute but i already have a CGC graded 2.5 and i am not chasing an upgrade at this time..

the funny thing is ,,,and this is becoming more and more frequent on eBay is that the comic survived two 7-day bidding cycles without a bid

and then on the third bidding cycle someone put in a bid and it was then run up to $108.00 ?? still a good price but whenever this happens i

can't help but think someone is shilling the sellers items.

Sugar and Spike 2, VG (4.0) 1956 Very scarce issue! DC Comics Sheldon Mayer

Item condition:
--

Comic is complete, flat, square, tight staples, clean and supple pages. Pen on front cover. Nice 

... Read more

Ended:
Nov 09, 2017 , 8:19PM

Winning bid:
US $108.50
2 bids ]

2 hours ago, geofan said:

Hi guys...I am a big fan of Sugar & Spike and finally completed a complete run...they are by no means in high grade 

but never the less, all are fantastic stories. I am posting issues 1 - 20 of my collection.

thumbnail-2.jpeg

Whoa!!! Congratulations! Given the scarcity of the earlier issues in any grade, this is quite an accomplishment.

:golfclap:

7 hours ago, geofan said:

Thanks guys...I am very happy with the run, and I do have many duplicates after issue 30...

again the grades are all over the place, I wish that I could have picked up super high grades

but they were not in the budget.

Great run ! thanks for posting the photo ! is your #1 in halfway decent condition i hope !?!

i need a few more issues to join the 1-20 club !! (@Silver has taught me patience !! )

On 10/16/2017 at 8:17 PM, 1950's war comics said:

Recent news of issue #2

on this date 10/17/17 there a two (2) issue of Sugar and Spike #2 for sale on the eBay....

On eBay a newer listing graded as a 2.5 raw is aggressively priced at $500 with a best offer option, in my opinion the staples look a bit rusted which is a no-go for me at any price

also on eBay there is a reader copy listed as a 4.0 with a comment that the front cover has a complete tear through it which has been repaired by glue

this issue is somewhat reasonably priced at $114 and there are 6 people watching it, this issue would likely bring a CGC purple label 3.0 but the price is within reason for someone wanting an cheaper example

of this tough issue, one would think that one of those 6 watchers would pull the trigger but this issue has been listed and relisted on eBay for at least  a year  .....

update, one of the 6 people watching the listing of the Sugar and Spike #2  mentioned above likely pulled the trigger because it has finally sold..

it was listed as a VG 4.0 with a tear across the cover repaired with tape