• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project: Sugar and Spike
4 4

557 posts in this topic

This next one I bought at a San Diego Comic Con, probably like 1989 or 90, in the old convention center. I bought this from Gary Carter for $10...sigh. Why didn't I buy the other issues he had....

sas71.jpg

And why was Gary selling them?

:o

Gary, his brother and his dad were a fixture for years at the SDCC selling books, I had bought a number of things from him. For many years he would have Church copy books as well. If I had to guess, he disposed of a fair part of his collection at the SDCC.

I have always liked this series. If you have never read an issue, you really miss out on the genius of Sheldon Mayer, both artistically and his writing. Finding issues in nice shape can be a real challenge due to the fact that they were mostly marketed towards kids plus they weren't seen as collectible till long after the series was over.

Once in awhile I see a nice issue and I pick it up. I have decided to only go after high grade issues (VF or better). I will post my new acquisitions as I get them. You may go awhile between updates, my progress has been slow.

I will start by posting the ones I have already.

You'll like, Sugar and Spike!

Good man! I can say just about the same about the Fox and the Crow title.

(thumbs u

I have seen some pretty high grade Fox and Crow's here and there latley. Would love to see your collection. Fox and the Crow would be the other book I would say was excellent non super hero stuff coming from DC. Fox and the Crow were so popular, they were in more than one comic for awhile. Excellent writing!

my next issue is one I picked up recently at San Diego through Metropolis. I haven't taken it out of the slab yet, but it's coming :devil:

Ths issue reminded me of when my wife and daughter and I went saucering at Mt. Charelston and my daughter and I crashed the saucer and she fractured her collar bone and my wife crashed into a tree...

sas74cgca.jpg

Good man! I can say just about the same about the Fox and the Crow title.

(thumbs u

I have seen some pretty high grade Fox and Crow's here and there latley. Would love to see your collection.

I've posted the few I have in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5000034#Post5000034

:juggle:

I love Sugar and Spike!

Do you consider #99 part of the run, Silver?

DC_Silver_Age_Classics_Sugar_and_Spike_Vol_1_99.jpg

It was part of the 1992 Silver Age Classics reprint series. The rest were reprints, but this contained inventory material that had never been published before.

Easy and cheap 9.8. ;)

cool run.

good luck finding a VF+ copy of issues #1 and #2, you're going to need it!

Not sure I could afford a number 1 in that shape if one became available. In 1986 I was at the San Diego Comic Con in the old convention center and Windy City Comics from Chicago had a #1 in that type of condition. It was priced at $400 and I didn't have that much. I have never regretted not being able to buy a book as much as I do that one. At least I know one exists.

cool run.

good luck finding a VF+ copy of issues #1 and #2, you're going to need it!

Not sure I could afford a number 1 in that shape if one became available. In 1986 I was at the San Diego Comic Con in the old convention center and Windy City Comics from Chicago had a #1 in that type of condition. It was priced at $400 and I didn't have that much. I have never regretted not being able to buy a book as much as I do that one. At least I know one exists.

if that was the '86 price, i can only imagine what it costs now, and that is if you can find it.

im sure you can find a lower grade copy one day

:wishluck:

This next one was one I picked up from a board member at the SDCC. A nice looking copy:

sas62.jpg

Interesting that DC went with a split cover for that issue. You would think that they would have saved one of those cover concepts for another issue.

???

Silver, this is my first exposure to Sugar and Spike. I never saw this title in the drugstore where I bought my comics. Thanks for sharing! It was nice seeing you at the San Diego Comic Con this year!

Silver, this is my first exposure to Sugar and Spike. I never saw this title in the drugstore where I bought my comics. Thanks for sharing! It was nice seeing you at the San Diego Comic Con this year!

Eric,

No Sugar and Spikes in your neighborhood back in the day. What a culturally-deprived town you must have lived in!

SLR

Hello Steve, you are right! Do you have any Sugar and Spike in your collection? I do remember my mother buying me Harvey comics, Hot Stuff in particular, that was my first exposure to comics period! EJR

That's a nice look copy of a very early issue! :applause:

The latest in project Sugar and Spike...a liberated CGC 8.0, nice looking copy:

sas13.jpg