• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do when you find out a comic has been restored?

24 posts in this topic

U -

If you are a good customer to him, then I don't see why he would have issues with you returning the book. More than likely, he was unaware of the restoration. If he gives you a real hassel, then maybe he knew it was restored and was trying to pawn it off on someone.

If that's the case, post his email or store's phone #. We'll take care of him for you. grin.gif

Seriously, if he made an error, he should be more than happy to return the cost of the book to you. He'll still be able to sell the book, as there are completists out there who wouldn't mind having a restored book. More importantly, if he makes you happy, you'll return. Especially since you know he is a guy that stands behind his books.

Chris

I would return the book to the dealer; if it was purchased through ebay, then threatenening to post a neg would make good collateral; if it was purchased through the storefront, or at a con, then make sure you bring that book back in the purple label. Keep in mind that I don't know who this dealer is, but it is in my experience that In almost all cases, dealers will do the right thing. A full refund plus grading fees is customary, but I've had instances where people would only refund the total for the book. In such a situation, make sure you have the money firmly in hand, and that you crack the book loose from the holder and give them the book in raw form. The mere act of taking a screwdriver the the holders post is usually a good way to strong-arm them into paying for grading fees.

One fallback to a return scenario is that you may well not being doing business with the dealer again -- but I think that its well worth it if it means getting your money back for a book you really ought not have in your collection... IMHO, (purely from an investment standpoint) a bronze-age (B.A.) key like TOD 1 is not a paltry purchase, especially in NM grade -- so paying a premium on a raw copy is usually not nearly as risky in terms of restoration as lets say a Silver or Golden-Age book of equal importance; but worse than this is the fact that the dealer actually passed-off a B.A. as unrestored, willingly or unwillingly. The threshold of acceptance in the collectors community drops after the Golden-Age; and a B.A. key is definitely frowned upon -- so this translates into a very poor investment in most collectors mind. Most dealers will not pay more than the POOR book value for a B.A. restored key, slabbed or unslabbed. You may fare better on ebay, but don't expect much better.

Its also worth noting that this circumstance you are caught in with this book is s bad sign that you ought not being doing business with this dealer anyway. And even if it was an honest mistake, then this dealer ought to seriously consider sprucing-up their skills with colour touch, or even purchasing a UV restoration detector

I may be coming off a little strong with my opinions, but I really have no tolerance for dealers(and you ought not either) who think about commanding premiums on books they purchase and their profits on the flip; often, they are quick to post a NM book without properly analyzing the books actual condition.

Good Luck with your transaction -- and Best Wishes this Holiday Season