• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #112 Why do people pay so much?

35 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75&item=2151034239

Once upon a time, Overstreet said that this book was worth more then FF#111 or #113 just because the Hulk was on the cover. Was it rare? No. Is the corresponding Hulk issue from that month worth as much? No. So why do collectors play the silly game of paying assinine prices for this book? There is NOTHING important about it. No origin, no introduction of a character, nobody died, nothing - zip - zilch - nada.

In addition, if the Hulk is so fabulous and expensive, why can you buy TTAs in 9.4 for a song?

I am a huge fan of the free market so I wish, as collectors, we would flex our muscles every now and then and collectively say "no" to some of these artificially created prices. After we've knocked down FF#112, we can move on to the fantasy of Silver Surfer #4 being RARE because of its supposed "low distribution" and bring its price down to earth.

I'm happy (well, sorta happy) to pay big prices for a book that's genuinely hard to find in grade but I refuse to feed the beast when it comes to these "hot" books that are common .

What say you?

(a) It's not just a Hulk appearance. It's a Hulk/ Thing battle. Hulk/Anyone (Thor,etc.) battles are popular issues with collectors, Hulk/ Thing especially (look at the price of FF25 & 26 in comparison to the surrounding issues)

(b) It's a great cover.

© Most importantly- it's a black cover. Which makes finding a nice looking copy that much harder.

I agree with Mud on all points but I would also add that when the Hulk is in the classic locked in battle pose it seems to make that book more desirable. Two other books that come to mind that are desired are Defenders #10 and Hulk #140.

that's totally true. I didn't really think of that specifically, but I guess that's part of what makes it a great cover. that "caught in the middle of the action" feel.

All that said- $1000 seems like a lot of money to spend on that book. I just thought I'd mention that. I don't want to look like I think that BIN is sane.

Yeah, I saw someone recently hit a BIN of $199.95 for a stupid CGC 9.4 Marvel Double Feature 1! confused.gif Don't know if this BIN will be hit because a copy with better centering just sold last month in the $600 range. blush.gif

Yep, a copy recently sold for around $650.

Another one sold for $609 on May 5th.

Like it or not, it's fair market value is in the $600-$650 range. And it does look like it could be nicer than a 9.4. But since it did recieve a 9.4, and he isn't re- submitting it, $1000 is too much unless he's got a lower reserve.

It took me forver to track down a nice copy of this book. Definately one of the hardest covers out there. Finally settled for a 9.0 at a show (Very nice, but 2 slight color breaks at the spine keep it down). I'd agree w/ BOC when he said this is about a $600 book. A 9.6 would go absolutley through the roof! But, it is a great book for all the reasons everyone mentioned.

Chris

I believe that I sold that one in May, which incidentally, looked way worse than this copy. I guess I am one of the big dealers and get all the breaks! smirk.gif

Yeah, I think I got a good price, with the time of year and all. I was expecting to pay a lot more, and my bid was much higher. laugh.gif

I actually thought the centering was DEAD on, with no more than 1/64" offset, if even that. Here's a pic for reference:

i-1.JPG

Looks to me like the black registration line is right there on the edge, with no white showing to the left of it; or possibly 1/64" is showing, it's very hard to tell in the small scan. Usually, these early Marvels wrap front-to-back, especially Journeys; 100 to 115 usually has the "M" in "Marvel Comics Group" wrapping to the back. But the graphics on 109s in general are very well organized, with plenty of space between the cover elements--such as the Comics Code symbol--and the right edge.

I rather prefer the black registration line to be slightly towards the front cover instead of right dead on the spine; there are a lot of covers where the graphic elements hug that line too closely (Spidey 24 to 27 are great examples).