• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #112 Why do people pay so much?

35 posts in this topic

Jim - all I remember is that Mjolnir is an enchanted URU mallet. Whether or not Uru is metallic in nature and composition is something I can't attest to. If it is metallic then Magneto can "lift" it. If it is some enchanted ore however, that cover dost liest....thus lowering the inherent value of this book significantly. tongue.gif

Whether metallic or not, ONLY someone "worthy" according to the legend of the hammer should be able to lift it. Strength, power, etc., whether by a force, such as magnetism, electricity, cosmic energy, etc., or by physical exertion (pure muscle or mechanical devices), should be able to "lift" it due to it's mystical properties. Sort of like King Arthur being the only one capable of "pulling" Excalibur from the stone.

Whether metallic or not, ONLY someone "worthy" according to the legend of the hammer should be able to lift it.

So is Magneto worthy? Acc to that JIM cover , he is. I know there's a list of issues where someone other than Thor has wielded the hammer, but I don't think this JIM 109 made it?

Others I recall that were worthy:

Beta Ray Bill

Storm (first Thor girl?)

Wonder Woman (in that DC vs Marvel fiasco or was it in an Amalgam issue?)

I used to know these better...

The Marvel Handbook (1986) says:

Thor's principal weapon is the enchanted hammer named Mjolnir, one of the most formidable weapons known to man or god. Forged out of the mystical metal uru, whose chief properties are durability and ability to maintain enchantment, the hammer is two feet long and its handle is wrapped in leather which terminates in a thong. Besides being a nearly indestructible throwing weapon, the hammer has been given six enchantments by Odin to augment its physical qualities.

The first enchantment is that no living being can lift the hammer from the ground unless he or she is worthy. Hence, so far as is known, only Odin, Thor, and Beta Ray Bill are able to lift Mjolnir. Apparently no one without superhuman strength can lift the hammer, whether he or she is worthy or not.

The second enchantment causes the hammer to return to the exact spot from which it is thrown after striking its target.

The third enchantment enables the hammer's wielder to summon the elements of storm (wind, rain, thunder, lightning, and so forth) by stamping its handle twice upon the ground and willing it to do so. Thor can also project various forms of mystical energy from the hammer without striking it on the ground.

The fourth enchantment enables the hammer to open interdimensional portals, allowing its wielder to travel to other dimensions, such as Earth to Asgard. (It is not known how Thor locates the dimension to which he wishes to travel.)

The fifth enchantment, bestowed on the hammer by Odin in recent times, enabled Thor to transform into the mortal Don Blake, by stamping the hammer once upon the ground and willing the change to occur. When Thor became Blake, Mjolnir became a gnarled wooden cane. By stamping the cane upon the ground and willing the change to occur, Blake could turn himself back to his godly form of Thor, and the cane would again become the hammer. When the hammer was in the form of a cane, anyone could lift it. A provision of the enchantment required that the hammer could not be out of Thor's hand for over 60 seconds while he was on Earth without his spontaneous reversion to his mortal self.

Most of the fifth enchantment has been transferred to the hammer of Beta Ray Bill. However, enough of the fifth enchantment remains in Thor's hammer so that by stamping his hammer, he can instantaneously transform his Thor costume into Sigurd Jarlson's clothing, or vice versa. The hammer itself does not change form.

The hammer has had one enchantment that has been rescinded. Formerly the hammer could be swung in such a way as to generate chronal displacement inertia, enabling its wielder to travel through time. Most of this property, which is separate from the hammer's power to traverse dimensions, was removed by Immortus, and Thor himself recently apparently exhausted whatever time-traveling power Mjolnir had remaining.

By throwing the hammer and grasping its leather thong, Thor can magically propel himself through the air in the semblance of flight. Just as the hammer can magically change its course in order to return to his hand when he throws it, so can it be influenced by its wielder to change its course while it is in his grasp in flight. The precise manner in which Thor "steers" his hammer while in flight is not known, nor is the precise speed and distance Thor can attain with a single throw. Thor has been observed to be able to attain escape velocity from Earth's gravity with a single throw and to overtake space vessels.

Who has lifted Mjolnir?

The following Asgardians have lifted Mjolnir: Thor, Odin, Tiwaz, and Woden. The following non-Asgardians have lifted Mjolnir: Red Norvell, Beta Ray Bill, Steve Rogers, Dargo, Eric Masterson and Wonder Woman.

Why, yes. Yes I have. But enough praise for me! I'd like to congratulate you on your new role as the new Rawhide Kid's "saddle buddy." It should be a welcome change from your long-term, very close association with Northstar. Best of luck!!

I think Cap may have lifted it as well, possibly in some 80's comic. I seem to recall reading this when I was younger.

And since this book came out in 1964, it's entirely possible that these details of the character were not yet established.

Either way Darth, stop fishing for a no-prize. tongue.gif