• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I found a pawn broker that will pawn comics.

45 posts in this topic

One of the main sports memorabilia 'customers' on that show is in reality a taxi driver/bail bondsman in LV. Producers thought he looked right for the part. A few weeks ago a guy they called "Drew" brought in an old book...I've known the guy for 20+ years and he said for being a reality show, there wasn't much reality in what actually transpired.

Shows like this and Auction Hunters are recreating scenes, not filming live.

Even Storage Wars? Then again, it's a bit odd that the same 4 groups are always bidding against eachother when there are like 100 others at the auctions.

Hester or whatever his name is is really annoying. Everything is "worth" a bundle to him...I'd love to see him sell stuff for what he values it at for the purposes of the show, he's like 5X-15X over on some of this stuff.

I find that Darrell guy even more annoying. Every time he loses he whines that $100 lockers are going for 7 or 8 times their value.

As far as how much they really make, that is my biggest beef with the show. Let's see them actually sell the stuff in the end to decide whether it was profitable or not. At least a couple of those house flipping shows my wife liked to watch during the bubble would have an actual sale at the end that determined whether the people made or lost money (I liked the ones where they did not factor in the costs properly......).

Even Storage Wars? Then again, it's a bit odd that the same 4 groups are always bidding against eachother when there are like 100 others at the auctions.

Hester or whatever his name is is really annoying. Everything is "worth" a bundle to him...I'd love to see him sell stuff for what he values it at for the purposes of the show, he's like 5X-15X over on some of this stuff.

That's a huge complaint of mine about the show.

It's all speculation until he actually has cash in hand from a sale.

Fully agreed about Hester being way off base on valuations.

I think his primary reason for being on the show is as advertisement for his shop. He surely doesn't seem like he enjoys it. Although, he probably does list the stuff featured on the show at his inflated values and sells a lot of them to fans.

Fully agreed about Hester being way off base on valuations.

I think his primary reason for being on the show is as advertisement for his shop. He surely doesn't seem like he enjoys it. Although, he probably does list the stuff featured on the show at his inflated values and sells a lot of them to fans.

I think he's on there to play the 'villain.'

It looks like he runs a real business and apparently has access to more capital than most of the other bidders. I like to think (pretend) he's a nice guy in real life. (shrug)

He bought a unit filled with brand new vending machines on a recent episode for a crazy low price.

He valued it super high, but I guarantee he got a good deal nonetheless. There was no way he wasn't going to make money on it.

I find it hilarious that you guys talk about these shows like they aren't 100% scripted. Watching it because it's entertaining is all good, thinking that any of it is real is downright silly.

I find it hilarious that you guys talk about these shows like they aren't 100% scripted. Watching it because it's entertaining is all good, thinking that any of it is real is downright silly.

I'm not so sure what is and what isn't on some of them.

I suspect that when filming the opening of the "goodies", these goodies have already been found and this is being reenacted most of the time. Like when Daryl found the wads of cash stuffed behind a painting.

I'm not so sure what is and what isn't on some of them.

I suspect that when filming the opening of the "goodies", these goodies have already been found and this is being reenacted most of the time. Like when Daryl found the wads of cash stuffed behind a painting.

I believe Daryl found a huge, valuable comic collection in a storage locker many

years ago.

They never showed them but i was watching the episode a few days ago where Barry found a bunch of old vintage gospel records that ended up not being worth much.

If you look closely, when he is 1st taking the records out, he lays them on top of a stack of comic books that was in the locker. You can see its a stack of maybe 50 books but all you can see is the very top book which is clearly a New Mutants book.

To bring the thread back on track, I have an appoinment tomorrow at 2PM at the Pawn Shop.

I'll be bringing a 6.5 Avengers 1, an 8.0 Adventure 300, a 9.8 Captain America( one of the more recent series)all CGC, a raw 5.0ish Avengers 4,a Spidey 8 and a Spidey 16 that look 5.0 but both are missing an ad page, and a DD 2 that looks 8.0 but is pretty obviously trimmed.

We'll see what they offer, and if they catch the defects. There are two comic shops nearby, so I might stop in there, as well

Thats one of only two times I've seen them overpay or an item The other was when the son paid something like $100 for a copy of a contract for The Who to perform at Woodstock. Said contract was included in every copy of "Live At Leeds", which sold hundreds of thousands of copies.

There was another where big hoss bought a Coke sign that was a modern reproduction. Set him back about $100 I think. I don't know anything about Coke memorabilia, but even I could tell that sign was a reproduction/replica.

that was a joke & part of the -script they had a brought a thing early in that episode which was suppose to make every one calm & relaxed which is why the other two just shrugged off his bum purchase & the second the guy took the thing back they all started yelling at each other again at the end of the show lol It was really nicely done & made me wonder how many people even caught it

I am of the opinion that all those shows are 100% fake. Not reenactments, just fake. I think they use whatever junk they can come across to make most stories, and some stories are scripted to the point that they actually have to go out and find a collectible for the show. I know for a fact, beyond a shadow of a doubt that one of the pawn shows and one of the repo shows are completely fake. I have heard from others online that other shows were fake based on similar experiences. I just don't think there is a real one on there.

Auction Hunters is a reenactment of their past purchases. Thats how you have the prices for everything sold at the end.

Storage Wars, I fast forward through the opening credits. I dont know if its just edited to the ones that they win or if its reenactments of past buys.

I'm a huge sucker for 'reality' TV.

The best ones don't require scripting: Deadliest Catch, Whale Wars.

The worst ones stage everything: The Hills, Operation Repo.

I'd say Hardcore Pawn is probably the least staged of the pawn and auction shows. The family drama is bogus on there but some of the customer interactions are too insane to be faked.

American Pickers seems somewhat authentic too.

How did the pawning go?

I ended up distracted by the whole missing box drama and never made it. I did call so the guy wouldn't bring his comic expert in, and found out the expert is on staff. Maybe next week.

i think that Hardcore Pawn might be the most "real" of all those shows. It sure sucks me in every time i watch.

Last ep some guy came in and said he was crazy. The owner Les replied, "really? im the craziest guy you've ever met." Then the guy did a little fake lunge at Les and 3 very large men were surrounding him almost immediately. then Les asked him if he wanted to get hurt. The fellow was marched out shortly thereafter. All over some weak leather jacket the guy wanted $40 bucks for. Phew!

i think that Hardcore Pawn might be the most "real" of all those shows. It sure sucks me in every time i watch.

Last ep some guy came in and said he was crazy. The owner Les replied, "really? im the craziest guy you've ever met." Then the guy did a little fake lunge at Les and 3 very large men were surrounding him almost immediately. then Les asked him if he wanted to get hurt. The fellow was marched out shortly thereafter. All over some weak leather jacket the guy wanted $40 bucks for. Phew!

+1

I dont know if it's fake or not but that show is definitely entertaining as hell! Much, MUCH better than Pawn Stars imo (thumbs u