• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading a book with a 1/4 of the cover torn off

17 posts in this topic

Ok, never really came across this, I was looking at a collection today, and in it was a really nice X-men 1 BUT the top 1/4 of the cover was ripped off. The book including the rest of the cover is high grade like in the 8.5-9.0 area. How does CGC grade that book?

I don't have a picture or scan so there is nothing I can post, but take my word on it, I have an idea on how to grade...well complete books anyway :)

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks everyone! Pretty bad back cover and roll, but...

img084.jpg

Overstreet allows up to 1/10th of the back cover to be missing @1.5 so that's what I'll say.

Had the same issue - my cover was more in line with a GD+, so it wouldn't have been a candidate for the Q; but I agree with (below) due to the rarity and/or value of X-Men #1 in high grade

8.5 Q or 1.8

Overstreet allows up to 1/10th of the back cover to be missing @1.5 so that's what I'll say.

I'd say there's a big difference between 1/10th of the back cover and 1/4 of the front. No way I'd grade it a GD-, but I wouldn't grade it a PR either. I'd probably go with FR if the rest of the book is a 9.0 as mentioned.

Had the same issue - my cover was more in line with a GD+, so it wouldn't have been a candidate for the Q; but I agree with (8.5 Q or 1.8) due to the rarity and/or value of X-Men #1 in high grade

But of course, rarity and value have nothing to do with grading a comic.

I'd say there's a big difference between 1/10th of the back cover and 1/4 of the front.

But of course, rarity and value have nothing to do with grading a comic.

AGREED - oversight that I saw afterward - just passing along advice

nice tone by the way (thumbs u

but of course, that is why you get blue labels with qualified defects in the GA - but hey, what do i know...

If you are referring to a vendors return book where they rip of the top 1/4 of the book to include the title and date/price/issue number; I seen one slabbed @ a 0.5 once. But I did not look at how nice the book was or wasn't.

X-men 1 BUT the top 1/4 of the cover was ripped off. The book including the rest of the cover is high grade like in the 8.5-9.0 area. How does CGC grade that book?

Thanks,

Steve

That's an instance where I can't believe that slabbing a book would enhance the value in any way. It's a remaindered book, period. Just throw it in a mylar.

(disclaimer) I have an Incredible Hulk 1 like that - obviously a remaindered copy. I had Fedoraman make me a cover sleeve for display, and maybe someday I'll have Kenny leafcast it. Otherwise, I will be happy with my $1 purchase! :acclaim:

Ok, so basically though the book might be a 9.0 with a full cover, grading will only be around 1.5-1.8 because of the problem?

Steve

if it's really a 9.0, it's probably worth it to get one of the restoration experts to fix it up. a purple 9.0 is worth more than a 1.8 blue, and it looks better too. i don't think it's worth the trouble if you're trying to flip it or anything, but if you just want a really nice looking x-men #1, that might be the way to go. hell, even send it in for a stan sig. the little band of purple is barely visible on the sig series label ;)