• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2012, July 12-15, San Diego, CA

509 posts in this topic

Hi,

I also got the SDCC 2012 tickets for my GF and myself.

However what's up with the hotels? I just tried to book the Hard Rock Hotel. The Marriot and the Hilton to find that no rooms are available.

Is it too early to book something or what?

Can't imagine that they are all booked out as yet.

Thanks.

The hotel rooms are blocked off until Comic Con releases them. I used to stay at the Courtyard Marriott San Diego Airport/LIberty Station before SDCC took over. The Town & Country Resort, where you can pick up your badge early, can take reservations now, but the facility is old and beaten up. I stayed there this year and was greatly disappointed. I always drive, so I can stay anywhere as long as I reserve my parking space months in advance.

Good luck. Just be patient and keep your eyes open for 2012 SDCC announcements.

Hi,

thanks for the info. It's rather strange though that ComicCon can block all Hotel rooms in the area. What if I was just a regular tourist who wants to stay in San Diego?

Hi,

However what's up with the hotels? I just tried to book the Hard Rock Hotel. The Marriot and the Hilton to find that no rooms are available.

Thanks.

The hotel rooms are blocked off until Comic Con releases them. I used to stay at the Courtyard Marriott San Diego Airport/LIberty Station before SDCC took over. The Town & Country Resort, where you can pick up your badge early, can take reservations now, but the facility is old and beaten up. I stayed there this year and was greatly disappointed. I always drive, so I can stay anywhere as long as I reserve my parking space months in advance.

Hi,

thanks for the info. It's rather strange though that ComicCon can block all Hotel rooms in the area. What if I was just a regular tourist who wants to stay in San Diego?

I love the hotel I stay in every year,they allow me to make reservations for next year as I'm checking out. :cloud9:

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi,

You raise an excellent question. A tourist would have to avoid the convention area in general during ComicCon time. Even Motel 6 jacks up their rate to over $140/night. On July 26, I made a reservation at the Mission Valley Marriott for 2012 SDCC. I got a great $149/night, but noticed that you will not be able to book a room right now.

I remember going to ComicCon and then walking over to the San Diego Padres baseball game afterwards. MLB now avoids booking baseball games in San Diego during SDCC week. The parking lot for PETCO (Padres Stadium) is used for ComicCon parking overflow.

It's not that Comic Con has the ENTIRE hotel block to themselves, but they get a sizable portion of the rooms. In all fairness, you want to try to get the Comic Con rate because, normally, if you book with the hotel directly, you'll pay double, triple, or more compared to the Comic Con rate. Then again, the demand for Comic Con rate hotels far exceeds the block of rooms they get.

Motel 6 is above $160/night now during Comic Con, especially the small downtown unit. Mission Valley hotels can be had for decent rates. Some hotel chains only let you book so many weeks in advance. (Marriott is supposed to be 50 weeks in advance)

If you don't get a good hotel when the Con rate hotel booking process starts, I recommend waiting until right before or at the June cancellation date for Con hotels, and usually a good selection opens up then.

Joel

It's not that Comic Con has the ENTIRE hotel block to themselves, but they get a sizable portion of the rooms. In all fairness, you want to try to get the Comic Con rate because, normally, if you book with the hotel directly, you'll pay double, triple, or more compared to the Comic Con rate.

Not always. I've been staying at the Best Western Bayside for years, always reserving next year during the previous year's con. My AAA rate usually matches the convention rate.

It's not that Comic Con has the ENTIRE hotel block to themselves, but they get a sizable portion of the rooms. In all fairness, you want to try to get the Comic Con rate because, normally, if you book with the hotel directly, you'll pay double, triple, or more compared to the Comic Con rate.

Not always. I've been staying at the Best Western Bayside for years, always reserving next year during the previous year's con. My AAA rate usually matches the convention rate.

Good to know, thanks.

Hi,

thanks for the advice.

Any idea when ComiCon is going to open Hotel bookings (at Convention rates)?

For 2011, hotel bookings started early March. If you have tickets and gave them your e-mail address, you should get e-mail updates. The convention hotels get booked up rather quickly (hours), so keep your eyes on the Comic Con website starting in late February. Read one of the on-line SDCC survival guides for great entertainment. SDCC gets more crowded every year.

Good luck!

I've been told some people sleep outside the convention hall.

That's either the people in line for Hall H, or in line to buy tickets for next year.

Those are both true, and to their credit, Comic Con provides those overhead tents to cover the folks who camp out for Hall H. People bring sleeping bags, portable grills, tents, and all sorts of chairs and creature comforts to help them camp out.

I've been told some people sleep outside the convention hall.

That's either the people in line for Hall H, or in line to buy tickets for next year.

Those are both true, and to their credit, Comic Con provides those overhead tents to cover the folks who camp out for Hall H. People bring sleeping bags, portable grills, tents, and all sorts of chairs and creature comforts to help them camp out.

Comic-Con puts up those tents to ward off the sun for people standing in line during the day for Hall H. They weren't happy at all that people were camping out, and when people started camping out on Monday this year for the Twilight panel Thursday morning, Comic-Con seriously considered forcing them off the property. Their plan was create a policy that no one can line up until they have their convention badge. Not sure why they backed off from initiating that policy.

Ah, so that's why they said you have to have your badge first. It didn't make sense when I first heard that. I guess they decided they didn't want the PR fiasco of physically removing teenage girls who just wanted to squeal for their favorite vampire or werewolf...