• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #1 Old Label 2.5 Slightly Brittle Pages... upgrade chances

183 posts in this topic

Hard to tell from those pics but personally, i would NEVER buy a SA Marvel with slightly brittle pages. Just way too many other copies out there. People can poo-poo PQ all they want but slightly brittle pq is like the ultimate re-sale kiss of death for a SA Marvel.

Hard to tell from those pics but personally, i would NEVER buy a SA Marvel with slightly brittle pages. Just way too many other copies out there. People can poo-poo PQ all they want but slightly brittle pq is like the ultimate re-sale kiss of death for a SA Marvel.

So I just got taken by paying 2000 gpa was 1884? I thought old labels were graded harder, maybe on a re grade it would be a 3.0

Hey, ANY ASM is a keeper but that pq is definitely worrisome for me. They were supposedly tougher on PQ back then also so hopefully you can get a pq bump and/or a grade bump.

Worth a shot (thumbs u

Hey, ANY ASM is a keeper but that pq is definitely worrisome for me. They were supposedly tougher on PQ back then also so hopefully you can get a pq bump and/or a grade bump.

Worth a shot (thumbs u

I would think brittleness might be different from normal pq variation, so maybe it might still be considered brittle today?

if it comes back slightly brittle 2.5 in a new label, I wonder what the hit might be to me in resale value?

So I just got taken by paying 2000 gpa was 1884? I thought old labels were graded harder, maybe on a re grade it would be a 3.0

Not sure you got taken. You paid slightly over market price. Seller should have

stated the page quality in his description so that might qualify as a reasonable

excuse to return but not the worst deal in history.

It's still a ASM 1, key book and worth having in any collection.

No, just hold onto it. Its an asm 1. Can't go wrong with that and you purchased it close to gpa @ 2,000

ok whew, so I could conceivably resell it for pretty much what I paid, even though I didnt get a 3k book (3.0-3.5) for 2k?

I planned on keeping it but I didnt want to be buying some kind of lemon thats worth 50% of what I paid off the bat..!

No, just hold onto it. Its an asm 1. Can't go wrong with that and you purchased it close to gpa @ 2,000

yup. just hold it for a couple of years. you'll at least be able to break even, even without an upgrade.

I hate to dis agree but Slightly Brittle pages on a SA Marvel key?? I'd avoid it like the plague. I'm sure a lot of others would say the same. Return it ASAP... Keeping this book just to possibly brake even in a few years? While a OW or better copy goes up in value with potential good return? Think about that..

Besides destruction like trimming. or major restoration.The mention of brittle pages is a huge concern for most collectors. Exceptions do happen for the rare GA type of book. I for one will never own any book with PQ like this. Just my 2 cents.

Does GPA say what the PQ is on the books they have in there system? I would bet that none of them had Slightly Brittle or worse pages.

I hate to dis agree but Slightly Brittle pages on a SA Marvel key?? I'd avoid it like the plague. I'm sure a lot of others would say the same. Return it ASAP... Keeping this book just to possibly brake even in a few years? While a OW or better copy goes up in value with potential good return? Think about that..

Besides destruction like trimming. or major restoration.The mention of brittle pages is a huge concern for most collectors. Exceptions do happen for the rare GA type of book. I for one will never own any book with PQ like this. Just my 2 cents.

Does GPA say what the PQ is on the books they have in there system? I would bet that none of them had Slightly Brittle or worse pages.

Would your opinion change if it looks more like a 5.0 than a 2.5? It looks in the picture like it has already been dinged really hard down to a 2.5 by CGC for the brittle pages. The cover doesn't look 2.5 at all, no marvel chipping, no crease, dark inks, really nice spine.

The only difference from a 5.0 I can see from the scan is it does look like it has two rounded corners on the bottom and a few specs floating around.

Im not going to open it, but I would like to resub it to see if it can get a higher grade. I think I will call Matt Nelson tomorrow and ask him what he thinks of the scan... But, it sounds like I am clearly getting a lemon in your opinion.

This is jusy my opinion. But paying over GPA for a slight brittle pages copy sounds a bit too much for me. It isn't like this book is rare. I know I could in most situations sell a better PQ 2.5 much, much faster for a better profit. The condition of the book inclues the PQ. So, no my opinion wouldn't change even if the book looks much better. The fact is it simply isn't.

If I have two of these books at the same price and one has OW pages the other has slightly brittle pages. What book will 99.99% of the potential buyers look at? I know I wouldn't even consider a SA Marvel with slightly britlle pages. My advice is to return the book and find one with better pages for the same money. It's not like it will be hard to find.

Over GPA for a SB pages copy? No Way.. If anything it should have sold for a bit under GPA. Maybe 10 - 15% below.

I agree with the other posters that avoid the brittle pages. If you've had a book fall apart in your hand, you know. Did you buy it to sell or hold in your collection? If you planned to have it regraded and then filp it, I say go ahead and give it a go. I doubt it gets a downgrade (it looks like it has a legit shot at a bump) so worst case scenario, you have a 2.5 with a new label and are out the grading costs. You would have learned a valuable lesson and be that much wiser next time. Sell the book, take your money and look for a better deal with your new found wisdom. That's the great thing about comics, it's a big world and usually more good deals are to be found.

With something like this, my position is once you make the leap by buying the book, you might as well go all in. 2c