• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #1 Old Label 2.5 Slightly Brittle Pages... upgrade chances

183 posts in this topic

I agree with the other posters that avoid the brittle pages. If you've had a book fall apart in your hand, you know. Did you buy it to sell or hold in your collection? If you planned to have it regraded and then filp it, I say go ahead and give it a go. I doubt it gets a downgrade (it looks like it has a legit shot at a bump) so worst case scenario, you have a 2.5 with a new label and are out the grading costs. You would have learned a valuable lesson and be that much wiser next time. Sell the book, take your money and look for a better deal with your new found wisdom. That's the great thing about comics, it's a big world and usually more good deals are to be found.

With something like this, my position is once you make the leap by buying the book, you might as well go all in. 2c

Respectfully, i'd disagree with that thinking. you'd just be throwing good money after bad imo.

There's a chance that you could get a bump in either grade or pq but maybe not. Thats looks pretty 2.5 ish imo. You're already in 2k for the book, shipping and insurance to cgc, grading fees and shipping and insurance back and now you're going to be over $2200.

Personally, it sounds but i would back out of the deal if it were me. Even if it meant getting a neg on my eBay account, i'd still not go thru with the deal. Looking at gpa, imo, that should have been about a $1500 book tops. I know i wouldnt have paid more than that if for some reason i was willing to overlook the pq and would buy it.

Again, looking at gpa, for 2k it seems like you should be able to get a 2.5 that has ow/w or maybe even white pages (thumbs u

Looking at my post's I realized I was possibly dis respecting the OP and his book. I'm sorry if that is the way my post's came across. As a collector for over 35 years. I have learned to try and keep my books as liquid as possible. You never know when the need for that emergency cash will come up. Trying to sell a Slightly Brittle pages ASM 1 as nice as that book is, would still be a bit of a problem.

There are quite a few of these books around in lower to mid grade condition with nice pages. It is a very nice book to own without question. I would still try and return the book and find another one with better page quality. Even if your going to keep the book.

There is a pretty good amount of money invested in a book of this stature. I for one would like to know that I could sell the book fairly quickly if the need arised. But a book with this page quality simply wont sell quickly unless there is a bit of a deal to be had by the buyer.

Again, just my thoughts.

Looking at my post's I realized I was possibly dis respecting the OP and his book. I'm sorry if that is the way my post's came across. As a collector for over 35 years. I have learned to try and keep my books as liquid as possible. You never know when the need for that emergency cash will come up. Trying to sell a Slightly Brittle pages ASM 1 as nice as that book is, would still be a bit of a problem.

There are quite a few of these books around in lower to mid grade condition with nice pages. It is a very nice book to own without question. I would still try and return the book and find another one with better page quality. Even if your going to keep the book.

There is a pretty good amount of money invested in a book of this stature. I for one would like to know that I could sell the book fairly quickly if the need arised. But a book with this page quality simply wont sell quickly unless there is a bit of a deal to be had by the buyer.

Again, just my thoughts.

+1

Pretty much EVERY single one of us has been in this situation before. we've all made that impulse buy or just were careless and overpaid for a book that you regret later. Respectfully, this sounds like it going to end up being one of those situations.

Like i said before, even with the bad pq, ASM1 is a MAJOR grail so no matter what you can be happy owning one even if you overpaid. However, like a lot of people have said, it is a pretty common book and imo you can definitely find a better copy for $2,000 pretty easily.

Hey, we all make mistakes in collecting. I've certainly done it before and for a LOT more than 2k :eek: Unless that is a copy you really, really love for whatever reason, i would definitely try to get out of the deal and find a nicer copy. You'll be happier in the long run.

Brittle pages would be far worse than slightly brittle pages, so at least that is something. Keep in mind about 50% of buyers really focus on page quality, so don't take all the above advice as gospel for what everyone in the world thinks. There are still the other 50% that look at the book more as a piece of art (focus more on the cover condition) and would probably jump at an otherwise 5.0 or better book with low page quality for a 2.5 price. (granted it is best to get both together)

My best advice is to figure out which side you fall under and keep it if you like it for your own collection given its strengths/weaknesses, or return it if you decide that page quality is more important to you. Just owning an ASM 1 puts you in a pretty nice class of collectors. :acclaim: Remember that everyone has their own preferences on defects and they can be far apart from each other, so collect what makes YOU happy! :)

Although sometimes with SB PQ that doesnt always mean the book is falling apart and it may be 1 corner of 1 page, but then again it could be worse also you never know. Id think you could find a better one personally for 2K.

yes I'm returning it...

So let me get this straight. You won this book on Ebay in an auction that clearly shows the label and the notation "slightly brittle pages" (as a BIN no less). Four hours later you start this thread asking for opinions, and the end result is that you're "returning" the book (which I assume you haven't even received). Why did you hit the BIN before starting this thread?

Man, I can understand why dealers really hate not being able to leave Negs for buyers. If the above is all correct, you totally deserve one. "Buyer's remorse" and "now I don't think I can get a grade bump on a re-sub so I'll take a hit on the resale value " are not legit reasons for a return.

yes I'm returning it...

So let me get this straight. You won this book on Ebay in an auction that clearly shows the label and the notation "slightly brittle pages" (as a BIN no less). Four hours later you start this thread asking for opinions, and the end result is that you're "returning" the book (which I assume you haven't even received). Why did you hit the BIN before starting this thread?

Man, I can understand why dealers really hate not being able to leave Negs for buyers. If the above is all correct, you totally deserve one. "Buyer's remorse" and "now I don't think I can get a grade bump on a re-sub so I'll take a hit on the resale value " are not legit reasons for a return.

+1

PQ was pretty clear. He even gave a close up shot of the label with the notation. He said "any other questions, please ask" (or something along those lines).

The book did not seem to be misrepresented in any way.

I think you got a little too antsy, hit the BIN and now you've got buyers remorse.

Not very fair to the seller in this case, IMO.

If I had bought this book for my own collection, even if I had overpaid, I would not feel any regrets.

On the other hand, if I had purchased this book to flip, I'd flip out.

At the right price, I don't think slightly brittle pages would keep me from buying this book.

yes I'm returning it...

+1

PQ was pretty clear. He even gave a close up shot of the label with the notation. He said "any other questions, please ask" (or something along those lines).

The book did not seem to be misrepresented in any way.

I think you got a little too antsy, hit the BIN and now you've got buyers remorse.

Not very fair to the seller in this case, IMO.

Even Overstreet guide doesnt allow for brittle pages in a 2.0, I rest my case. No wonder so many dont like falling apart brittle pages, my LCS showed me a falling apart hard book. No way anyone wants that, and no way should CGC give out 2.5's even if the book looked 5.0:

2.0 GOOD (GD): Shows substantial wear; often considered a "reading copy." Cover shows significant wear and may even be detached. Cover reflectivity is low and in some cases completely absent. Book-length creases and dimples may be present. Rounded corners are more common. Moderate soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing may be present. The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher. Tape and other forms of amateur repair are common in Silver Age and older books. Spine roll is likely. May have up to a 2" spine split. Staples may be degraded, replaced or missing. Moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as rust migration. PAPER IS BROWN BUT NOT BRITTLE. Centerfold may be loose or detached. Moderate interior tears may be present.

He didnt put the brittle pages in his description, he put it in a picture of the microscopic old label font. For newbies like me who dont know a brittle book falls apart in your hands, its a trap. I'm pretty sure the guy knew he was trying to trap people. Thats just shady.

I really was just trusting the blue label that a 2.5 blue meant it was a solid book and not some kind of lemon. I just am surprised CGC gives 2.5's and a blue label for brittle books. It should be a GLOD with the reaction other collectors on this board had.

Anyway the guy refunded me, and I will definitely neg him for non disclosure of a material fact, that collectors overwhelmingly run from, if he were to neg me.

I wasnt going to flip it actually I just wanted to keep it. But it would have been a better deal as an investment to find an upgradeable old label at a 2.5 price.

"Anyway the guy refunded me, and I will definitely neg him for non disclosure of a material fact, that collectors overwhelmingly run from, if he were to neg me"

Are you kidding me !!!

Its people like yourself who are putting sellers off ebay. If you had sought the advice of the boards or done some research prior to your purchase, you probably wouldn't have got it.

Take some responsibility.

I can't believe your going to neg him after he even refunded your money,and for your stupidity.Are you a ten year old child,or are you a man? Mannup to your mistake and give him a positive for treating you the "customer" well by giving you that refund.

Just a Dooshie move if you ask me.

You're a terrible person. Give him 5 stars for having to deal with your idiocy, and he probably won't get the final value fee back from eBay either.

You are causing the seller to lose big because YOU got cold feet.

Interesting discussion.

Maybe the book would do better on a resub. CGC was a little unreliable with PQ in the past.

Maybe when it is cracked out, the pages might crack and split! Certainly not a candidate for pressing.

I don't think the seller should be negged, though it would have been better if he had mentioned the PQ in the ad. But he did show a close-up of the label and gave the refund.

Buy the book, not the grade. Small pictures but it looks 4.0 or better

For the record, slightly brittle pages could be very very deceiving. It all depends on the book. It could be a very small area of slighly brittle paper and still get the notation, it could be the whole spine. Labels cannot tell the whole story. A single slightly brittle corner would not bother me on this book at all, but if the spine was brittle it would be a different story.

My personal opinion.

1: The seller should have disclosed the slightly brittle pages clearly in his description. He included a very low resolution, slightly blurry photo of the label where you can barely make out the 'Slightly Brittle.' To me this is the equivalent of putting a disclaimer in fine print, knowing many buyers out there don't do their due diligence.

2: The buyer should have made sure he did read the "fine print" if he's going to spend $2000 on a book. In other words OP you should have made it a point to find out the quality of the pages before you bought it. You should have clicked on the label and read everything, and PM'd the seller with any questions. Personally I would have contacted the seller and asked him to scan a picture of the label so it can be read clearly. I would have also got the serial number and called CGC to get their notes.

I'm on the fence with returning it so I'm not going to slam you for that as others have. But negging him when he's offering your money back is a complete di ck move in this case. DON'T DO IT. 2c

I think you should take your refund and post a want to buy (WTB) thread on these boards, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for here and at a decent price, I've seen members post these at decent prices and not sell, be patient and one is bound to pop up here again.

Congrats and getting your refund and happy hunting.