• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #1 Old Label 2.5 Slightly Brittle Pages... upgrade chances

183 posts in this topic

Now that he isn't buying it, I don't need to be nice and can say what I think about that book. GARBAGE!!! If you are buying a SA Marvel book with SB pages, you better be getting a HUGE discount or need your head examined. People can say whatever they want about PQ but no one, NO ONE is buying a SA common Marvel book with SB pages at anywhere near GPA much less above it. That's a fact. People say how c/ow pages don't bother them yet I see SA c/ow marvels at a good amount below GPA sit in the for sale section and not get sold while the same books with good PQ get snapped up.

That book was an absolute ripoff at 2k, flat out rip off. $1500 tops is what that book should sell for IMO. Should the buyer have done better research or asked questions before hitting the bin? Absolutely! Should he have to eat $500 bucks for his mistake? No, IMO.

The OP hit the BIN on a book on eBay which he, due to what's probably a 50/50 split between ignorance and wishful thinking, thought could be "upgraded" on a resub.

Prior to even receiving the book he decided to do some research (which he should have done beforehand), and when it became apparent that this was most likely not a good resub candidate, he immediately started railing against CGC ("no way should CGC give out 2.5's even if the book looked 5.0") and the seller ("For newbies like me who dont know a brittle book falls apart in your hands, its a trap. I'm pretty sure the guy knew he was trying to trap people. Thats just shady.").

Not to mention that he threatened to neg the seller for "non disclosure of a material fact, that collectors overwhelmingly run from" - even though there's a close-up of the CGC label in the auction where the label notation is clearly visible.

And you're defending this d0uchebag?

Considering all the rants about integrity, honesty and ethical behaviour you've seemed fit to bestow upon us mere mortals in various other threads on this board, the hypocrisy in your statements is simply astounding :screwy:

The OP hit the BIN on a book on eBay which he, due to what's probably a 50/50 split between ignorance and wishful thinking, thought could be "upgraded" on a resub.

Prior to even receiving the book he decided to do some research (which he should have done beforehand), and when it became apparent that this was most likely not a good resub candidate, he immediately started railing against CGC ("no way should CGC give out 2.5's even if the book looked 5.0") and the seller ("For newbies like me who dont know a brittle book falls apart in your hands, its a trap. I'm pretty sure the guy knew he was trying to trap people. Thats just shady.").

Not to mention that he threatened to neg the seller for "non disclosure of a material fact, that collectors overwhelmingly run from" - even though there's a close-up of the CGC label in the auction where the label notation is clearly visible.

Considering all the rants about integrity, honesty and ethical behaviour you've seemed fit to bestow upon us mere mortals in various other threads on this board, the hypocrisy in your statements is simply astounding :screwy:

Everything you said is valid, but I don't think it's a case of doosh-baggery on the part of the OP, but rather ignorance. I think he got in over his head and made some serious errors. I also think when he realized the asterisks tied to that comic (SB) he legitimately believed he was had, and he over reacted.

I think he should be given a chance to learn from his mistake and be taught the right protocols when dealing with sellers, and all will be well in the world.

Now that he isn't buying it, I don't need to be nice and can say what I think about that book. GARBAGE!!! If you are buying a SA Marvel book with SB pages, you better be getting a HUGE discount or need your head examined. People can say whatever they want about PQ but no one, NO ONE is buying a SA common Marvel book with SB pages at anywhere near GPA much less above it. That's a fact. People say how c/ow pages don't bother them yet I see SA c/ow marvels at a good amount below GPA sit in the for sale section and not get sold while the same books with good PQ get snapped up.

That book was an absolute ripoff at 2k, flat out rip off. $1500 tops is what that book should sell for IMO. Should the buyer have done better research or asked questions before hitting the bin? Absolutely! Should he have to eat $500 bucks for his mistake? No, IMO.

Where are all my rants about integrity, honesty and ethical behavior??? Last post having anything whatsoever to do with any of those things i can remember is me AGREEING that going off ebay isnt stealing and getting reamed by RMA for thinking its ok to "cheat" a big corporation just a little (shrug)

99% of my posts are posting my books or posting (worship) to someones elses books they post (thumbs u Your little rant is completely misguided dummy as you must be talking about someone other than me (thumbs u

I can only assume you are talking about me saying it wasnt good CUSTOMER SERVICE for your buddy to not give a return email or phone call to a potential customer of a 2k book for 8 days. Thats completely different but if you cant see that, you're too blinded by your love for Jaime.

i've said 10 times in this thread it was a douchy move but didnt understand why everyone else who isnt involved in this whatsoever is so outraged.

If your hymen is still so sore and bruised from me questioning your little buddy Jaime's CUSTOMER SERVICE skills (completely different from honesty, integrity and thics btw!), i suggest you seek medical attention rather than your misguided attempts to take it out on me :hi:

All ive said over and over in this thread is:

A) that book isnt worth NEARLY 2k

B) It was a douchy move

C) why are people not involved whatsoever so outraged?

I'd suggest checking out some reading comprehension classes in your area in your free time (thumbs u

If your hymen is still so sore and bruised from me questioning your little buddy Jaime's CUSTOMER SERVICE skills

Ouch! :eek:

This can't end well.

Whatever, he's completely off base. Other than thread like 5 months ago where I said i think it's unethical as hell to crack CGC books and sell it at a higher grade without disclosing the previous grade to the buyer, i don't know what the hell he's talking about (shrug)

Maybe he should go back and count how many times Ive said in this trhread that it was a douchy move on the op's part (thumbs u

Where are all my rants about integrity, honesty and ethical behavior??? Last post having anything whatsoever to do with any of those things i can remember is me AGREEING that going off ebay isnt stealing and getting reamed by RMA for thinking its ok to "cheat" a big corporation just a little (shrug)

99% of my posts are posting my books or posting (worship) to someones elses books they post (thumbs u Your little rant is completely misguided dummy as you must be talking about someone other than me (thumbs u

I can only assume you are talking about me saying it wasnt good CUSTOMER SERVICE for your buddy to not give a return email or phone call to a potential customer of a 2k book for 8 days. Thats completely different but if you cant see that, you're too blinded by your love for Jaime.

i've said 10 times in this thread it was a douchy move but didnt understand why everyone else who isnt involved in this whatsoever is so outraged.

If your hymen is still so sore and bruised from me questioning your little buddy Jaime's CUSTOMER SERVICE skills (completely different from honesty, integrity and thics btw!), i suggest you seek medical attention rather than your misguided attempts to take it out on me :hi:

All ive said over and over in this thread is:

A) that book isnt worth NEARLY 2k

B) It was a douchy move

C) why are people not involved whatsoever so outraged?

I'd suggest checking out some reading comprehension classes in your area in your free time (thumbs u

Oh, yes, the insults to ones masculinity - the final refuge of the dim-witted :doh:

Every single post you made in the Jamie Graham and the Customer service threads went on & on about how your standards were higher than anyone else's - and, yet, here you are, saying that you'd have no problem backing out a deal because you discovered that the book you bought didn't have any upgrade potential? :screwy:

I realize that this might be a hard concept to grasp, but integrity goes both ways - it's not just the domain of the seller, as you seem to believe. The OP was clearly in the wrong here - he should have done his friggin' research before he hit the BIN.

The fact that he then pretended the seller was somehow trying to pull a fast one (even though all pertinent information about the book was clearly visible in the auction) and even talked about giving the seller a neg (after the seller agreed to take the book back - even though there was zero reason for him to do this) is just icing on the d0uchebag cake.

I'd suggest you check your moral compass - I think it needs to be re-wound :gossip:

Everything you said is valid, but I don't think it's a case of doosh-baggery on the part of the OP, but rather ignorance. I think he got in over his head and made some serious errors. I also think when he realized the asterisks tied to that comic (SB) he legitimately believed he was had, and he over reacted.

I think he should be given a chance to learn from his mistake and be taught the right protocols when dealing with sellers, and all will be well in the world.

Unfortunately, the OP is learning his lesson, at no cost to himself, while the seller

is losing a sale and shipping costs. I can easily see the seller starting a thread

complaining about the jerk who purchased the book and returned it because he

didn't look at the pretty pictures.

As far as the seller accepting the return he didn't have much choice in today's ebay.

Yeah, whatever :eyeroll:

How many times do you want me to say it was a douchy move? Why don't you show menthe quote where I'm high fiveing and congratulating the op on a job well done. Not a single thing I've said in here in any way contradicts anything I said in the thread about your buddy. I said I would try to back out of the deal if I could. Did I tell him to threaten to neg him? No, I said it was a douchy move multiple times. I'm not backing what he did, I only questioned the value of the book and why people are so outraged.

Your little grudge is cute and all but get over it (thumbs u

Act like I'm out ranting and raving about ethics day and night. Get real! 99% of the people on here know me as the guy posting books or commenting on their books. A handful, like you, know me I guess as endlessly ranting about ethics from the maybe couple threads in my year here I've talked about it. "all my rants about integrity"??? That's retarded :screwy:

Sorry dude! I think 8 days not returning a phone call is shot customer service despite him beings friends with you. Get over it

Unfortunately, the OP is learning his lesson, at no cost to himself, while the seller

is losing a sale and shipping costs. I can easily see the seller starting a thread

As far as the seller accepting the return he didn't have much choice in today's ebay.

Notwithstanding the buyer's mistakes, don't you think sellers with a return policy have more vested to make things more clear? In this case the seller would have been more likely to put "Slightly Brittle Pages" in the title the first time. The fact is many buyers do not do their due diligence like the OP. I'm not saying it's the case with this particular seller, but many sellers count on buyers like him. So they won't necessarily hide a negative about the item, but they won't go out of their way to highlight it either.

Notwithstanding the buyer's mistakes, don't you think sellers with a return policy have more vested to make things more clear? In this case the seller would have been more likely to put "Slightly Brittle Pages" in the title the first time. The fact is many buyers do not do their due diligence like the OP. I'm not saying it's the case with this particular seller, but many sellers count on buyers like him. So they won't necessarily hide a negative about the item, but they won't go out of their way to highlight it either.

I don't know about you but if I'm spending two thousand dollars on a comic book,I think I would be savvy enough to ask questions before I hit the BIN on an item.Pic was sufficient in my opinion,but yes maybe he should have wrote it in his description.I think the OP got blinded by the dollar signs he thought he could get with a press/flip then realizing you can't reach any higher potentiality with brittle pages.He up and got a case of buyers remorse,he knew what he was buying.

Hopefully the buyer clicked the image of the label with the slightly brittle page

designation. You would be a fool to spend $2K without looking at the pics.

I can only believe that the buyer didn't realize that page quality was important and

had remorse when it was explained to him. Talk of negging the seller seems

unfair. And yes, the seller could have described the page quality in the auction

text but the pic of the label was pretty front and center.

The good news is that the OP is learning, found this site, is moving up to better

books and getting more involved in the hobby.

Sure ... there are plenty of dishonest sellers on ebay who'll use photos shot at deceptive angles, manipulate the scans, hide pertinent information deep inside the description, etc. But in this case, the buyer knew exactly what he was getting - otherwise he wouldn't have started a thread called "ASM #1 Old Label 2.5 Slightly Brittle Pages... upgrade chances".

If you want to play the crack & resub game and you get burned because you don't know what you're doing, you're the only one to blame. It really is as simple as that.

Really, if you post the CGC label on the auction and it is clearly legible, we all know a picture says a thousand words! There does not need to be any further description in the auction after that because the CGC grade AND Notes say it all! CGC grading/page quality/notes take all the guessing out of it, so anyone looking to buy a CGC book should not be threatening a seller with negative feedback for non disclosure of anything when the CGC label is clearly legible! (tsk)

Too many buyers threaten negative feedback or money concessions for buyers remorse, that is the reason that so many people who often take returns state NO Returns on CGC books to at least weed out some of those low class buyers on ebay. I am betting this seller gave in to the refund because as the buyer stated, he would have flamed him with negative feedback (tarnishing his perfect feedback record!) I just hate people like that and it is too bad ebay no longer allows negative feedback for bad buyers like this!

Sure ... there are plenty of dishonest sellers on ebay who'll use photos shot at deceptive angles, manipulate the scans, hide pertinent information deep inside the description, etc. But in this case, the buyer knew exactly what he was getting - otherwise he wouldn't have started a thread called "ASM #1 Old Label 2.5 Slightly Brittle Pages... upgrade chances".

If you want to play the crack & resub game and you get burned because you don't know what you're doing, you're the only one to blame. It really is as simple as that.

How ignorant could the guy have been if he knew that the old label carried some weight as being more desirable and/or had upgrade potential? How does someone that new even know the difference between labels or what they signify to collectors? This is getting fishier and fishier...

How ignorant could the guy have been if he knew that the old label carried some weight as being more desirable and/or had upgrade potential? How does someone that new even know the difference between labels or what they signify to collectors? This is getting fishier and fishier...

If you read early in the thread a few reassurances and he's excited about the book.

After a couple, "Brittle pages on a SA comic! That's !" then suddenly he's out for blood.

After reading some arguments and reconsidering, I might have given him a bit too much of the benefit of the doubt.

Whatever, he's completely off base. Other than thread like 5 months ago where I said i think it's unethical as hell to crack CGC books and sell it at a higher grade without disclosing the previous grade to the buyer, i don't know what the hell he's talking about (shrug)

oooh, that one was classic. Forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

I'd suggest you check your moral compass - I think it needs to be re-wound :gossip:

Perhaps better alternatives:

I'd suggest you check your moral clock - I think it needs to be re-wound.

I'd suggest you check your moral compass - I think it needs to be remagnetized.

Basically the label pic was there. Anyone buying a cgc book should examine the label pic. Even my old eyes can easily see the PQ designation on this little 10" netbook.

If you are not sure about the implications of something like Slightly Brittle Pages you may want to hold off on spending $2000 for a book. Set aside some time to learn more about Grading, Page Quality, Quality of Production etc. as these all impact the real world value.