• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accused comic book killer sues county, doctors

11 posts in this topic

http://macombdaily.com/articles/2011/07/31/online/srv0000012843056.txt

Claims vitamin B12 deficiency has left him unable to walk

A man set to go on trial a second time in the "comic book killing" has accused doctors of failing to diagnose and treat a vitamin B12 deficiency while he was housed in the Macomb County Jail, leaving him unable to walk and independently perform daily activities.

Michael George, 51, scheduled to face trial Sept. 7 for the 1990 murder of his wife, Barbara, earlier this month filed a malpractice and negligence lawsuit in Macomb County Circuit Court in Mount Clemens against Macomb County, Clinton Township-based Michigan Neurology Associates and three doctors.

George claims that when he entered the jail in September 2007 after his arrest, he weighed 200 pounds. Within 16 months, he had lost 45 pounds and couldn't walk, requiring the use of a wheelchair.

He says he was not diagnosed with nor received treatment for B12 deficiency, despite doctors knowing of his extremely low level of 117. He started receiving treatment from another doctor about a month after his release in June 2010, he says. George's level in his most recent test was 554, the lawsuit says.

"That's really the worst part, it was right there, dangerously low," said his attorney, Donna MacKenzie. "There are a lot of causes of vitamin B12 deficiency. While we can't tell you what caused it, we can tell you it went undetected and untreated."

George is unlikely to recover, MacKenzie said.

"It's my understanding that the doctors believe it's permanent," she said.

The lawsuit says that George suffered from "severe neuropathy due to a delay" in treatment.

"Mr. George remains unable to ambulate, requires extensive physical assistance from transfers, is unable to feel sensations below his knees bilaterally, is unable to perform sexually, suffers from constant pain and requires extensive assistance with activities of daily living," the lawsuit says. .

After appearing healthy during his trial and subsequent court hearings, George in a January 2009 court appearance surprised observers by arriving in a wheelchair. Joseph Kosmala, one of his criminal attorneys, revealed his client was experiencing health issues. He has appeared in a wheelchair since then.

Macomb County's lawyer, George Brumbaugh, said he could not comment on the case because he had not yet received it.

Also named in the lawsuit is Dr. Ernesto Bedia, who attended to George in the jail, and Drs. Steven Beall and Lawrence Konst of Michigan Neurology, where George was taken from the jail.

The doctors and a representative of Michigan Neurology did not respond to a request for comment.

Bedia, who has retired, could not be reached.

Michigan Neurology also has offices in St. Clair Shores, Utica, Dearborn and Saginaw, and a second office in Clinton Township.

George is currently free on bond and residing in Windber, Penn., to where he moved and opened a new comic book store with his second wife, Renee, within two years of his wife's death.

Barbara George, 32, was found dead with a bullet wound in the back of her head July 13, 1990, in a back room of the comic book store she and her husband owned and operated on Garfield Road in Clinton Township.

Michael George, of the Pittsburgh Comicon, is seated far right.

114715.jpg.8be642c2b39ea051adcf7fce0144f511.jpg

Why do I care if the guy has a vitamin deficiency..his wife is life deficient because of him..and if he is in jail why would I care if he is able to perform sexually...how much of a performance does he have to give ...roll over and say "Thanks Bubba" how hard is that..

something wrong with his butt? Or his mouth won't open all the way?

whatever his problems are I couldn't care less he's a murderer ..

^Exactly.

We should take our que from Russia...look at their prisons. They actually have dogs that are as big as small bears that are used as intimidation to keep prisoners in line. Prisoners get gruel and if lucky, bread. They are kept apart from one another.

This man murdered...so not only did he take a life but he also took life from everyone that loved her. Dispicable.

One in 31 adults age 51 years and older has a vitamin B12 deficiency, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It sounds like one third of the prisoners over 51 will have a case pending. I guess they want better free health care? :eyeroll:

Ive talked about this many times with my friends and they all agree, prison shouldn't be such a resort for criminals anymore..I think that if every prisoner was in solitary confinement the entire time they were there and all they had was a blanket to sleep with on the hard floor that crime would decrease substantially..

They are criminals, they're rights went out the window as soon as they committed the crime.

One in 31 adults age 51 years and older has a vitamin B12 deficiency, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It sounds like one third of the prisoners over 51 will have a case pending. I guess they want better free health care? :eyeroll:

Is it one in 31, or 1 in 3?

^Exactly.

We should take our que from Russia...look at their prisons. They actually have dogs that are as big as small bears that are used as intimidation to keep prisoners in line. Prisoners get gruel and if lucky, bread. They are kept apart from one another.

This man murdered...so not only did he take a life but he also took life from everyone that loved her. Dispicable.

yep no sympathy for him at all over here..poor gal not like it was even a fight he shot her in the back of the head..I am ashamed the public has to pay to even give him a damn blanket much less b12 or whatnot..he doesn't even deserve lube

Is it one in 31, or 1 in 3?

It's 1 in 31 adults above age 51

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/VitaminB12/

If he'd just eat his delicious prison meal, he'd be set.

^Exactly.

yep no sympathy for him at all over here..poor gal not like it was even a fight he shot her in the back of the head..I am ashamed the public has to pay to even give him a damn blanket much less b12 or whatnot..he doesn't even deserve lube

No worries... the boys in Maximum will turn Michael George into George Michael in no time. (thumbs u