• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your top 10 GA artists? How do they fit into your all time list?
1 1

77 posts in this topic

Is this the Buster Crabbe 5 thread? My keeper box of comics is less than a short box, but this is still in it.

bustercrabbe5.jpg

That looks like my old copy. I sold it around 1996-7 or so...

I thought I remembered buying it from Marnin, but maybe I got it from you. CBG ad -- 1997 or 1998. There was also a high grade Forbidden Worlds 1 in the same ad, and I was (briefly) torn between the two.

2. Al WilliamsonWilliamson arguably transcended his master to become the most complete artist comics have ever seen. What I love above all is his ability to design a page so that it looks as beautiful as everything in it. This one pretty much leaves me speechless!

I know whatcha mean about that 'speechless' piece. I am curious as to the size of the original art on that image, and how many hours of work he must have put into it. But it was worth every second, because he really created an amazing world, one in fine dimension, and one that was constructed in pencil and ink. Many artists can learn a lot from Williamson's art.

114946.jpg.7c19b3d48b4f7bccf59490ec7ac1b655.jpg

Here's a small list of some my top favorite Comic Book Artists. My criteria is skillful, illustrative drawing and inking talent, amongst other creative skills used to draw beautiful women in believable context of their given environments.

1/. Matt Baker

2/. Frank Frazetta

3/. Wallace Wood

4/. Will Eisner

5/. Jack Kamen

6/. Roy Crane

7/. Alex Schomburg

8/. Reed Crandall

9/. Paul Gustavson

10/. Bill Ward

Kudos to the following artists for their own styles which I also appreciate greatly:

Dan Decarlo

Al Hartley

L.B. Cole

Basil Wolverton (though he did not draw a lot of GGA)

Al Feldstein

Zack Mosely

Ray Moore

Klaus Nordling

Bob Powell

Syd Shores

Ogden Whitney

Joe Shuster

Bernard Dibble

This list is non-binding, and non-inclusive and may change or expand depending on other artists I forgot to mention :)

I like most of the artists that have been listed but it is hard to decide who are the top ten.

1/. Matt Baker

2/. Jack Cole

3/. Joe Shuster

4/. Will Eisner

5/. Bob Fuje

6/. Basil Wolverton

7/. Alex Schomburg

8/. Bob Montana

9/. Jack Kirby and Joe Simon

10/. Rudi Palais

I would have to work on the list a while to figure out how to include these other guys.

Lou Fine

Bob Powell

Syd Shores

Ogden Whitney

Edited by BB-Gun

GGA--very nice "kudos" list of yours...BERNARD DIBBLE!

Thanks Craig! Dibble deserves far more public admiration, highly overlooked. I really can not get enough of his saucy, wild and creative work, and can find very little information about him on the internet. Glad I'm not the only one that sees something special in his artwork and stories.

115010.jpg.f660f351fc31a5b03f508c497a70d9d5.jpg

115011.jpg.2b317d23f2b4f2fbfb215a5107834982.jpg

I love Frazetta's work but I don't think he did enough comic book art to justify placing him at the top. Lou Fine has more work but I haven't figured out who to drop in order to put him on the list. And Powell did a massive amount of work but should I knock out Palais for him?

(I like most of the artists that have been listed but it is hard to decide who are the top ten.

1/. Matt Baker

2/. Jack Cole

3/. Joe Shuster

4/. Will Eisner

5/. Bob Fuje

6/. Basil Wolverton

7/. Alex Schomburg

8/. Bob Montana

10/. Rudi Palais

I would have to work on the list a while to figure out how to include these other guys.

Lou Fine

Bob Powell

Syd Shores

Ogden Whitney)

Edited by BB-Gun

I love Frazetta's work but I don't think he did enough comic book art to justify placing him at the top. Lou Fine has more work but I haven't figured out who to drop in order to put him on the list. And Powell did a massive amount of work but should I knock out Palais for him?

(I like most of the artists that have been listed but it is hard to decide who are the top ten.

1/. Matt Baker

2/. Jack Cole

3/. Joe Shuster

4/. Will Eisner

5/. Bob Fuje

6/. Basil Wolverton

7/. Alex Schomburg

8/. Bob Montana

10/. Rudi Palais

Lou Fine

Bob Powell

Syd Shores

Ogden Whitney)

I had such trouble getting it down to ten myself I oughto have asked for everyone's top twenty when I kicked off the thread! However with ten, it is possible to get entirely different but fully justified selections. Hence I put Matt Baker at #3, but my nine other choices are different from yours. I'm glad you included Rudi Palais - I've always thought he influenced Steve Ditko's early horror work - both depict mood so wel!

I'm not aware that the output of Lou Fine was much, if any, greater than that of Frazetta. If you want to include Fine's work on the syndicated Spirit I would still think Frazetta comes out ahead when you look at his Johnny Comet and Lil Abner strips.

On 8/29/2011 at 2:41 PM, adamstrange said:

I'm not aware that the output of Lou Fine was much, if any, greater than that of Frazetta. If you want to include Fine's work on the syndicated Spirit I would still think Frazetta comes out ahead when you look at his Johnny Comet and Lil Abner strips.

I think Fine had penciled more stories in the 40s due to him having started earlier than Frazetta. My favorite interior of Fine’s would probably have to be for the Ray.

1NqCmu4.jpg

Some of Jack Alderman’s splash pages he drew for Temerson. I definitely feel he put in as much effort as he could for these, giving me the impression as if they were movie posters.

54ZRWjJ.jpg

NllZWTQ.jpg

OzzVlmp.jpg

W0Gzbsp.jpg

Sources:
Captain Aero Comics #11 (September, 1943)
Suspense Comics #2 (February, 1944)
Cat-Man Comics #23 (March, 1944)
Suspense Comics #3 (April, 1944)

Edited by Electricmastro

In addition to Jack Alderman, I made a list of favorite interior art from Temerson/Holyoke Publishing. Might as well give a top 10 artists list from there:

Allen Ulmer (Captain Aero Comics #2, February 1942):

mtxrCrX.jpg

Charles Quinlan (Blue Beetle #23, July 1943):

3skbvDu.jpg

Jack Alderman (Cat-Man Comics #22, December 1943):

Zi5JUG6.jpg

Leonard Cole (Suspense Comics #5, August 1944):

VZJJfFc.jpg

George Appel (Captain Aero Comics #17, October 1944):

5i970Tw.jpg

John Giunta (Captain Aero Comics #21, December 1944):

meHRYg2.jpg