• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Memoriam: 9/11 Comic Book Covers, September 9, 2001, 10th Anniversary Tribute

63 posts in this topic

20110225-Untold-Stories_Cvr_300x500.jpg

Untold Stories from Iraq and Afghanistan is a non-profit,

charity comic book, graphic novel, with proceeds going to

selected charities who help our soldiers in times of need.

As a former US Army Warrant Officer and helicopter pilot,

AHP CEO Darren Sanchez was more than happy to help when

Clayton Murwin approached him needing some comic book

production help to put this project together.

I love the all black cover of ASM done in tribute. Here are some sterling examples of what boardies have done with them:

In no way am I knocking your sketches... but it just seems that those covers need to stay just black. Horrible day that was.

In no way am I knocking your sketches... but it just seems that those covers need to stay just black. Horrible day that was.
They're not mine and your post was my subtle point to begin with.

I love the all black cover of ASM done in tribute. Here are some sterling examples of what boardies have done with them:

Why, oh why? :eek:

I'm kinda surprised the artists didn't refuse when asked to do these.

I was really taken aback the first time I saw an issue of ASM #36 that had been sketched on. Being "in the business" of emergency services, I first thought they were offensive. I tend to be pretty liberal when it comes to "art" and defining it. I recognize that sometimes artists want to provoke a reaction and that this provocation is a big part of what they consider to be art. I don't always like this concept but I generally respect it.

I've got to say, though, I find these two examples offensive for no good reason. The zombie motif isn't a favorite of mine to begin with, but to put it on a 9/11 commemorative cover...well...that's just wrong to me. By the same token, I do have an ASM #36 that is sketched. I like it for two reasons, the first was that I like the artwork and the red ink on it. The second is that it is respectful to me. It used the "recalled" art for the Spider-Man movie teaser with the WTC reflected in his eyes. I know there are those that will disagree, but I find it tasteful and respectful.

In the end, art is always subjective. Some will like these covers because of the artist that drew them. Some will like them because they feature zombies. Some will like them because they like all things Spider-Man. Some will like them because they're sketched on, regardless of the subject. I do no like them because of the juxtaposition of the images to the book.

115418.jpg.f50f65ed54d8aaa1c0b1cbea210a98df.jpg

Nathan-Sorry-Rich-Barrett.jpg2359-s.png

[font:Arial Black]Nathan Sorry[/font] - Story & Art: Rich Barrett

Nathan Sorry is a hapless investment analyst who was supposed to be in the World Trade Center on 9/11 but instead disappears with a new identity and $20 million that he has inadvertently stolen. Two months later he shows up in a small southern town, waiting for his opportunity to flee the country, but his shaky plan begins to unravel as he gets a little too involved with some of the town’s residents. http://www.richbarrett.com/nathansorry/

Did you guys see the comic coming out next week I believe from Image titled "Big Lie"? An apparent 9-11 storyline where someone travels back in time to save their husband or something???

http://www.imagecomics.com/comics/4202/Big-Lie-One-Shot-

Is it just me or is just still too early for stuff like this?

A lab tech travels back in time on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001 to try and get her husband out of the world trade center before it falls, but will the facts convince him before it's too late? A riveting tale of 9/11 by award winning master storyteller RICK VEITCH that exposes 'The Big Lie!'

lunapic_131315421055193_13-e1313179457841.jpg

Story RICK VEITCH, Art RICK VEITCH & GARY ERSKINE, Cover THOMAS YEATES

Price:$3.99, Diamond ID:JUL110449, On Sale:September 07, 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think it is ever too early for something like this.

I don't consider myself a "9/11 Truther" because they tend to be viewed as a little crazy. That being said, I firmly believe there are holes in the official version of events. I want to know why any testimony contrary to the official version is omitted from the 9/11 Commission Report. I want to know how it is possible that no part of so many people in NYC was found but all of the hijackers' passports and papers were found intact.

I firmly believe that there is more to the story than we have been told. At the same time, I'm not saying that our government had a hand in it. I just think there is more than the story we've got right now. There are many coincidences and odd happenings that I want to know more about that the 9/11 Commission completely ignored. I'm not saying there is evil afoot, I'm saying more of this deserves a closer look. It might very well be nothing. It might very well all be connected. Without more information, we can't make a determination either way.

I'll step off my soapbox and return to the subject at hand.

I don't think it's too early. I'm not a big fan of Veitch's writing, but he has some great concepts. I think it's just like any other semi-historical fiction like going back to sit on the grassy knoll, getting Hitler into art school, or standing on the bow of the Titanic to warn the crew earlier, it's interesting, but not really groundbreaking.

I did buy a copy and am anxious to read it as soon as time allows.

Nathan-Sorry-Rich-Barrett.jpg2359-s.png

[font:Arial Black]Nathan Sorry[/font] - Story & Art: Rich Barrett

Nathan Sorry is a hapless investment analyst who was supposed to be in the World Trade Center on 9/11 but instead disappears with a new identity and $20 million that he has inadvertently stolen. Two months later he shows up in a small southern town, waiting for his opportunity to flee the country, but his shaky plan begins to unravel as he gets a little too involved with some of the town’s residents. http://www.richbarrett.com/nathansorry/

Seriously?? SERIOUSLY???? I've been trying to work out the details for this very type of story in my head for nearly a decade. I'm really bummed to see that it has already been done.

American Widow - Graphic Novel written by Alissa Torres; art by Sungyoon Choi, published by Villard; $22 US;

The writer, Alissa Torres, was made the widow of the title on September 11, 2001.

Her husband Eddie had just started a new job in the World Trade Center, and she was 7½ months pregnant.

This graphic novel traces how she survived after the most traumatic event of her life.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/books/review/Taylor-t.html?_r=1&ref=books&oref=slogin

867009009.jpg