• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books For Mike: Bronze/Copper/Modern

210 posts in this topic

In case you don't go to the Facebook page for Mike here are a few update. Comments are from Bill Smith.

http://www.facebook.com/SaveSuperman?sk=wall&filter=12

MikeandSketch.jpg

Mike holding a photocopy of a Joe Shuster Superman drawing, one of the many gifts Mike has received from his new friends.

MikeandBrandon.jpg

Mike on the phone Thursday night with Superman Returns star Brandon Routh. The call was set up by Routh's staff after the actor learned of Mike's bad (and then good) fortune. The two spoke for about a half hour, covering everything from the movie's special effects to Mike's vast knowledge of past actors who had played the Superman role. Mike was absolutely thrilled and I am thinking Mr. Routh may have learned a thing or two also. Note the scene from the movie playing on the TV screen in the background.

Just awesome all around. Will put together a nice box for Mike as soon as I find two free minutes ( lucky for him I hate Superman haha however I have a ton of SA books due to buying collections ). I have little faith in modern man but a story like this ( with a great outcome ) makes me hold out hope. A BIG round of applause to everyone that donated time, books, etc.

Mike is putting his extra stuff to good use.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/stcharles/article_3fc5807d-468d-5328-9b81-327e76764e2a.html?mode=story

Superman fan shares his bounty with kids at St. Louis hospital

Mike Meyer stepped into the elevator at St. Louis Children's Hospital wearing a favorite blue Superman T-shirt. Keith Howard, of Superfriends of Metropolis, stood with red cloth boots peeking out from beneath his trousers.

"Probably a lot of them are going to capture my heart today," Meyer said, with a shy grin. He was referring to the young patients assembling on the eighth floor for their weekly Wednesday bingo game.

As always, the calling of squares and awarding of prizes would be broadcast through the hospital, allowing children to participate from their rooms. But unique this day, a Superman theme would permeate the play.

With a quick change, Howard donned the rest of his Superman costume. Hospital staff stacked six boxes of Superman collectibles and figurines on the prize table, nearly quadrupling what the children could vie for.

Meyer had donated it all, feeling it was only proper.

Meyer, 48, of Granite City, lives off of Social Security checks for a mental disability and his pay from a part-time job at McDonald's. He lives alone with his dogs Krypto and Dyno. Collecting Superman memorabilia is his lifelong passion.

In late August, he was tricked out of more than 1,800 of his prized items.

News reports about the theft went viral, spreading to comic book collectors across the world. Within weeks, Meyer's living room was half-filled with donations. Superfriends of Metropolis, a group of collectors and fans from Illinois, helped coordinate it.

In the meantime, police caught the suspected thief and recovered the loot. That left Meyer with more Superman items than he ever dreamed of.

"I've been blessed with a lot of things, so I wanted to share them," he explained on Wednesday of his decision to donate the duplicates. He added, "When you make somebody happy, it does something for you, too."

Howard, of Belleville, said nobody who gave to Meyer has asked for his or her donations back — in fact, just the opposite.

"The fact that this has now come full circle is really, really great," he said.

On Wednesday, as a chorus of "Bingo!" rang out, the Superman collectibles slowly left the prize table.

Not everyone chose Superman. Caylea Conrad, 8, of Gainesville, Mo., who has Hirschsprung's disease, a congenital disorder of the colon, chose a baby doll. Earlier, she had talked to Meyer about her collection of Barbies and how upset she would be if they were stolen.

Johnny Sutherland, 4, of West Plains, Mo., at the hospital for stomach problems, ran away from the table grinning with a large green truck in his arms.

"That's OK," Meyer said, chuckling. "I'd grab the truck, too."

A set of Superman Matchbox cars went to a winner in pediatric intensive care. A Man of Steel lunchbox, to a child in 7 West.

Toby Hawkridge, 6, who has cerebral palsy, flew from the United Kingdom to get a spinal operation at Children's. He had to leave bingo early for therapy, but his mom, Kelly Urch, stayed to finish his game. She was on strict orders to pick a Superman figurine if they won. Toward the end of the second game, she yelled "Bingo!"

As she left with the prize, she stopped to shake Meyer's hand. He grinned and gave her an emphatic thumbs up.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/stcharles/article_3fc5807d-468d-5328-9b81-327e76764e2a.html#ixzz1cEAP587e