• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic books with similar covers
6 6

378 posts in this topic

19-05-201180121PM.jpg

3fecd09a-f958-4e65-8b2f-203e0eec959e_zpsfkgo1k3w.jpg

The second Action Comics cover from 1966 reminded me so much of the first one from 1962 that I thought I'd already scanned the second cover because I'd scanned the first one some five years ago!

:)

Woah, It's hard to believe these two books were not identified earlier. Nice work to catch that omission. (thumbs u

TOTU_46.jpg

DETC_260_zpsuswvm433.jpg

Ok, fight in DC's patented bubble cover, same slant on the sign on the left side of the covers, Earth man fighting a larger opponent, and champion of one planet vs champion of another planet. What's really ironic is the spectators comment about the Earth man cheating, in the Detective cover, ... oops Batman landed a punch. :cool:

What a cool thread! Has anyone posted this one yet?

No! But wow!

:applause:

Once again Editor Jack Schiff reprised his own cover just 22 months later for another comic in his stable of titles. I mean why bother to think up an original concept when you can make do with an old one, right? At least he changed artists from D ick Dillin on Blackhawk to Bob Brown on My Greatest Adventure.

doh!

Edited by Hepcat

What a cool thread! Has anyone posted this one yet?

No! But wow!

:applause:

Once again editor Jack Schiff reprises his own cover just 22 months later for another comic in his stable of titles. I mean why bother to think up an original concept when you can make do with an old one, right? At least he changed artists from Dillin on Blackhawk to Bob Brown on My Greatest Adventure.

doh!

Looks like Bob Brown -- credited with the MGA cover -- didn't have to work overtime that month. :D

Here's another cover concept that DC recycled. From 1959 by Nick Cardy for editor Jack Schiff:

746619.jpg

From 1963 by Lee Elias for editor Murray Boltinoff who had previously been Jack Schiff's assistant:

10-06-201245021PM.jpg

And from 1965 by D ick Dillin for editor Jack Schiff:

011_zps6383278a.jpg

:popcorn:

Edited by Hepcat

Those two covers are about as similar as you can get!

Meanwhile, where do you think Murphy Anderson may have gotten the idea for the cover of Justice League of America 10?

Sens109_zpsd5a62099.jpg

14-10-201171007PM.jpg

(shrug)

A recurring theme

hom214_zps00f3f22a.jpg

...all of them deeply creepy.

*shudder*

On 3/13/2016 at 10:51 PM, Hepcat said:

Here's another cover concept that DC recycled. From 1959 by Nick Cardy for editor Jack Schiff:

746619.jpg

From 1963 by Lee Elias for editor Murray Boltinoff who had previously been Jack Schiff's assistant:

10-06-201245021PM.jpg

And from 1965 by D ick Dillin for editor Jack Schiff:

011_zps6383278a.jpg

:popcorn:

Found another similar cover & possible premonition of the transporter room in Star Trek.

WF_104.jpg

Gil Kane was another who'd gaily recycle covers from the past. This one he did in 1959:

edited-image_zpsi99uojgc.png

And then this one in 1962:

16-06-2011101200PM.jpg

This one from 1961:

02-06-201182039PM.jpg

And then this one from 1967:

021_zps5d8a765d.jpg

And what's wrong with multi-purposing anyway?

:banana:

Incidentally the bottom three comics are from my own collection.

B|

Edited by Hepcat