• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic books with similar covers
6 6

370 posts in this topic

When I first came across (figuratively of course) this early Mystery in Space comic:

Mystery%207_zpsle61s8bz.jpg

I was reminded immediately of the cover of this Aquaman  comic from my collection:

11-08-201170552PM.jpg

Incidentally I was so impressed by Aquaman 11 with the intro of Queen Mera that I subscribed immediately to Aquaman and received a copy of Aquaman 12 above in the mail barely over two weeks later!

B|

Editor Julius Schwartz had no qualms against employing a newer artist to re-image old covers from titles that had once been under his stewardship. Here from 1963 by Murphy Anderson:

22-05-201131504PM.jpg&key=91610df28c4fe2

And then again from 1970 by Neal Adams:

12-07-2011105355PM.jpg

The covers are so similar that I've had both these comics in my collection for over fifteen years and only today did I realize that what I was looking at periodically were two entirely different comics!

xD

Edited by Hepcat

16 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

I love seeing both The Murph and Kubert take a stab at this iconic cover/scene.

5 and 36.jpg

Cool! I have both issues in my collection but somehow I failed to notice just how similar were their covers as far as composition was concerned.

(thumbsu

Here are scans of my copies:

BravetheBold36.jpg

15-10-201145611PM.jpg

B|

Edited by Hepcat

14 hours ago, Hepcat said:

Hmmmmm. So it seems that on the Secret Six cover Jack Sparling reprised Bob Brown's idol head from the Challengers of the Unknown cover.

:/

Coincidentally, I came across this whilst trawling through ComicConnect's auction... a decade earlier. to the Challengers

05dda115f1f1251b6d62adb0f0ce3c67.jpg

Edited by Gnasher

15 hours ago, Hepcat said:

Here are scans of my copies:

Showoff. lol

Some seriously nice books!

1 hour ago, Hepcat said:

Murphy Anderson more specifically! He drew all three covers including the Hawkman 9

I just love Murphy Anderson. Makes me want to track down the other covers now that I know The Murph did 'em.