• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

My only copy :cloud9:

IMG_1724.jpg

I had that one a few years back. It's really sweet!

To my knowledge, it is one of the earliest known SF books that I have been able to confirm as existing.

I believe you are correct, West - I have the Flash 5 (sorry, no scan as it's vaulted) which is dated two months later (May, 1940).

I can contribute this scruffy looking copy.

Military20.jpg

The quality of that book is best summed up by a quote from Hegel:

"The identity between quantity and quality, which is found in Measure, is at first only implicit, and not yet explicitly realised. In other words, these two categories, which unite in Measure, each claim an independent authority. On the one hand, the quantitative features of existence may be altered, without affecting its quality. On the other hand, this increase and diminution, immaterial though it be, has its limit, by exceeding which the quality suffers change. [...] But if the quantity present in measure exceeds a certain limit, the quality corresponding to it is also put in abeyance. This however is not a negation of quality altogether, but only of this definite quality, the place of which is at once occupied by another. This process of measure, which appears alternately as a mere change in quantity, and then as a sudden revulsion of quantity into quality, may be envisaged under the figure of a nodal (knotted) line."

My only copy :cloud9:

IMG_1724.jpg

I had that one a few years back. It's really sweet!

To my knowledge, it is one of the earliest known SF books that I have been able to confirm as existing.

I believe you are correct, West - I have the Flash 5 (sorry, no scan as it's vaulted) which is dated two months later (May, 1940).

Great wealth of knowledge on the boards, would have never known, thanks guys :headbang:

Edited by goldenacase

Beautiful books Steve!

Thnx Russ! Every book in this thread is going to be a joy to behold (Wonderworld 13 :o ).

I remember holding some of Bedrock's (raw) Timelys in my hands, and even though it was a long time ago, the memory still lingers... just beautiful.