• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

I am still gathering data on the San Francisco collection, but as of now, I have only been able to find San Francisco books from the few publishers listed below. I've also listed the number of San Francisco books I've found for each publisher. Pretty interesting data.

CENTAUR: 1

DC: 117

FOX: 4

MLJ: 10

PRIZE: 4

QUALITY: 29

TIMELY: 75

FAWCETT: 2

TOTAL SAN FRANCISCO COPIES CURRENTLY KNOWN: 242

Beerbohm's master list had long runs of Dell comics, including what surely would have been the best existing run of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories from #1 up. At some point, I believe nearmint(?) brought up that no one had ever seen a Nedor from the San Francisco collection. As far as I remember, the general consensus of the discussion was that the list must have been incorrect. Looking at Timely's list, I find it puzzling that both Nedors and Dells are missing completely. Could the master list have been so wrong, or is it more likely that these groups were sold off as large lots early on and never surfaced on the market again? If this happened 35-40 years ago, perhaps we will know a definitive answer not so long from now...

There are many larger Golden Age publishers that have had no books surface from the SF collection. Here are a few...

Ace

Chesler

Columbia

David McKay

Dell

Eastern Color

Fiction House

Gilberton

Hillman

Holyoke

King Features

Lev Gleason

Nedor

Street & Smith

Sometimes you get lucky. I bought this raw off Ebay a few years ago - not knowing it was a SF (nor I assume did the seller since it wasn't in the description). When I got it, I thought it looked pretty nice and lo and behold, the stamp on the back cover gave it away. Not a high grader but it's still nice.

nationalcomics29cgc70ow-wsanfrancisco.jpg

I am still gathering data on the San Francisco collection, but as of now, I have only been able to find San Francisco books from the few publishers listed below. I've also listed the number of San Francisco books I've found for each publisher. Pretty interesting data.

Would you know which copies of Prize comics were there (besides #5) ?

Would you know which copies of Prize comics were there (besides #5) ?

Prize Comics #5, 9, 50 & 52

The colors on those Reilly copies are gorgeous. It hardly seems possible that the Church counterparts could be more beautiful.

And the statistical data is very interesting, thanks for sharing it.

Posting more San Francisco/Tom Reilly books.

DSC02217.jpg

DSC02224.jpg

DSC02225.jpg

DSC02228.jpg

DSC02230.jpg

DSC02245.jpg

DSC02246.jpg

DSC02247.jpg

DSC02249.jpg

....how many times would I have to mow your lawn for the MM 46....? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u