• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

If the board would consider resuming his postiing privileges even on " double secert probation"... I bet you would get a quick response

But not a short response, nor a response of a person of integrity or honesty. So thanks, but I'm okay with never knowing for sure (and really, we know he doesn't know the answer, or we'd all know what it said for sure).

His answer would be important for this thead and a number of others, it's a shame this part of history will be lost... The collection was anazing

I'm sure his views won't be lost to history.

BLB has enough internet postings to fill the Encyclopedia Britannica 3 times over.

problem is you'd need a ten volume interpretation companion to go with the 3 volumes :tonofbricks:

The latest edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica is 32 volumes. :gossip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclopædia_Britannica

Can we, uh, just get back to posting pics of SF books? This arguing just goes around in circles and eats up what little cyberspace is left...

Once you get west of the Pecos, there's tons of room.

:signfunny:

Since I derailed this thread previously, I wanted to let everyone know that I received a very nice package of 21 Four Colors from BOB earlier in the week.

I am processing them now and hope to get some posted in the Four Color thread soon.

Great quantity and some very nice books were included in the package. Most key book in the lot was a 203 DD, but a couple very nice Rocky's, Buck Jones and JMB;s were also included.

I want to publicly thank Mitch. Without his considerable efforts and skills I am not sure that this would have ever happened.

Since I derailed this thread previously, I wanted to let everyone know that I received a very nice package of 21 Four Colors from BOB earlier in the week.

I am processing them now and hope to get some posted in the Four Color thread soon.

Great quantity and some very nice books were included in the package. Most key book in the lot was a 203 DD, but a couple very nice Rocky's, Buck Jones and JMB;s were also included.

I want to publicly thank Mitch. Without his considerable efforts and skills I am not sure that this would have ever happened.

Congrats on the end of a 2 1/2 year odyssey.

Bob Beerbohm? hm

Bob Beerbohm? hm

Yes THAT BOB. here are a few of the lower grade books he sent.

I WISH they were SF/TR copies

fc%20546%20Buck%20Jones_zpsflampzll.jpg

fc%20546%20bc_zpsrccnxhun.jpg

fc%20967%20Chilly%20Willy_zps0103urer.jpg

fc%20967%20bc_zpstgyv7xak.jpg

On 5/5/2015 at 8:03 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

The same hype was done by Earl at Passport comics in North Hollywood back in the 80s. He'd put a bunch of common books on the wall, create a theme around them, and then charge 10X guide to his unsuspecting, uneducated customers. He did that over and over. He was like a carnival shill. Now, don't get me wrong...I'm sure Earl was a knowledgeable guy and I enjoyed his antics, but I never bought anything from him. I'd go find it somewhere else at a fraction of the price.

Yeah, I was a huge fan of Earl's (my name makes that obvious) and he helped spread the love of comics and collecting to me when I was very young, teaching me how to grade and spot trends in heroes and key issues. As I got older, he resorted to more and more "antics" to make a living, and I soured on him a bit. A real shame.

18 minutes ago, Passport Comics said:

Yeah, I was a huge fan of Earl's (my name makes that obvious) and he helped spread the love of comics and collecting to me when I was very young, teaching me how to grade and spot trends in heroes and key issues. As I got older, he resorted to more and more "antics" to make a living, and I soured on him a bit. A real shame.

You know, despite the sometimes unethical sales and "hormoner" hype, I do miss visiting with Earl...

On 11/20/2017 at 2:13 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

and my ex-wife used to call Earl's wife "the Dragon Lady"... lol  I seldom saw her smile or make a joke...What a great place that was...

Wow strange...she always used to greet me with a smile and call me 'hon' and all of that. I suppose since Earl liked me, she was ok with me too.

On Victory, yes...his later days when I last went there were quite grim, if I recall. Books that looked like they had been sitting there awhile, and pretty bare new book shelves too. A sad ending, indeed.

23 hours ago, Passport Comics said:

Wow strange...she always used to greet me with a smile and call me 'hon' and all of that. I suppose since Earl liked me, she was ok with me too.

On Victory, yes...his later days when I last went there were quite grim, if I recall. Books that looked like they had been sitting there awhile, and pretty bare new book shelves too. A sad ending, indeed.

Same here - they liked paying customers!

I last saw Earl and Dee at Bruce's L.A. Sci-Fi and Comic Con (monthly, back then), nothing but junk boxes in the back of the room. It was a sad ending.

On 12/6/2017 at 5:47 AM, sacentaur said:

Same here - they liked paying customers!

I last saw Earl and Dee at Bruce's L.A. Sci-Fi and Comic Con (monthly, back then), nothing but junk boxes in the back of the room. It was a sad ending.

Maybe THAT was the problem.  I don't know if if I EVER bought anything from Earl... :whatthe:  I would just sit and listen to him...that was enough...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian