• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*Warning* Dennis the Menace Seller on Ebay

7 posts in this topic

Wanted to post a headsup for folks thinking about bidding on this piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230676737126&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I wrote the seller when he posted this originally about a week ago asking for a picture without the glare from the glass as it is framed. I asked if he could unframe and post a pic. The piece has some condition issues which are not described in the listing other than to say that the piece needs some conservation (?). The seller did not respond so I sent him a follow up email a day or two later.

Ok, so he cancels that listing and relists. Now he has taken the glass off the frame. As you can see it looks like there is water damage, or something causing some pretty severe warping at the top and possibly discoloration. So, I emailed him again with the new listing asking if he could describe the damage in a little more detail as there might be water damage and/or send me a pic out of the matting.

I actually got a response this time saying he would not waste anytime answering me, that this was not his full time job and that he was blocking me from bidding on the item. Hmmmmm. Hiding something? Or, just rude? Clearly, I wouldn't buy anything from a seller with such a hair trigger and lack of customer service, but wanted to warn others not to fall into a trap. Yes, most art can be restored, but it's nice to know what you are getting into before buying, especially when the price of restoration might be as high as the piece itself.

By the way, in the new listing he says he cancelled the old listing because someone accused him of possibly selling a fake.... that wasn't me. But, obviously there was at least someone else confused by this listing. Personally, I feel the piece is real, but why the strange behavior? On this one.... caveat emptor, big time.