• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Youfoundjake's CGC Journey

3 posts in this topic

Old Collector, New to Slabbing

I collected comics from 1987 to 1993. In that period of time, I managed to get quite a bit of current issues, and grew my back issue inventory quite well. My pride and joy is the Uncanny X-Men 94-300 with a Giant Size #1.

I managed to have fairly large runs, New Mutants, X-Factor, Flash vol2, and limited series's out the wazoo..

Then I joined the USMC and everything got stuck in storage. Roughly 3300 comics and graphic novels.

Fast forward to 4 months ago, I grabbed all 12 of my long boxes and started putting them into a database, (online database didn't exist in my day, a red binder with 3 hole punch paper was my database)

After seeing that my collection I paid roughly $5000 for, I eventually saw a total value of about $24,000. Nice..

So seeing as how I just came back to collecting, I learned about the crash from the 90's, and the birth of CGC. After much deliberating, I submitted my first book. Uncanny X-men #94. I purchased it for $100 originally. A unfortunate side note about this particular issue, is that it is signed by Chris Claremont and Bob Mcleod, pre-CGC, which means that this book doesn't qualify for SS, which is kind of a bummer. But the graders notes do indicate that it is signed, even if the label doesn't.

a>

a>

a>

9555.jpg

See more journals by youfoundjake

Congrats. I wonder - if you had gotten a green Qualified label with notation about the signatures - would you be happier? I'll bet the market value on this as it stands is way higher than it would be with a Q label.

I'm not sure. My only consolation is that if anyone decides to ask for the graders notes, they will learn of the signatures, or if someone cracks the slab open, they'll see them. But I intend on keeping my run of UXM, so overall it is what it is..

Thanks for the congrats..

Waiting on ASM 300, NM 98, and a couple 95-110's to come back as well..

ASM and NM should be within the next month, and the others are about 2.5 months out.

Now I need to figure out what to slab next. I'm thinking since I have 5 Wolverine #1's from the first series (not the limited one), that I'll send those in for pre-screening of a 9.8..

And maybe I will send in the limited series, but those are probably 8-8.5 for them.