• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age War comics
15 15

1,413 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Congrats. I bid $778, which was too low as it wasn't an increment higher than the high bid (yours).

Glad it went to a fan and fellow boardie though. Awesome book.

lol

Seems like ALL the underbidders are on here. I went to $650 or $700. Thought that would be enough. :cry:

We all knew (or recently learned) about Battle Report 6's notoriety due to its cover featuring a racial slur.  Link

So my question is, like the Fighting Man annual (which went for roughly the same amount) - which boardie won it??

Not me!

My max bid would have been quite a bit higher than the winning bid. My sister called me about an hour before it ended with one of her weekly emergencies and I missed it by 4 minutes. It looked like a really nice copy.

4 hours ago, lbcolefan said:

Not me!

My max bid would have been quite a bit higher than the winning bid. My sister called me about an hour before it ended with one of her weekly emergencies and I missed it by 4 minutes. It looked like a really nice copy.

It did present well.

6 hours ago, goldust40 said:

We all knew (or recently learned) about Battle Report 6's notoriety due to its cover featuring a racial slur.  Link

So my question is, like the Fighting Man annual (which went for roughly the same amount) - which boardie won it??

Like the annual, I was one of the underbidders. :(

Luckily I have one, just not that nice. :(

9 minutes ago, october said:
6 hours ago, goldust40 said:

Like the annual, I was one of the underbidders. :(

Luckily I have one, just not that nice. :(

I got your undercopy, which sufficed (I knew the book would more or less match the FM annual).

I assume the winning bidder will reveal himself in due course.

2 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

I got your undercopy, which sufficed (I knew the book would more or less match the FM annual).

I assume the winning bidder will reveal himself in due course.

Yes, probably a board member. Great issue. Took forever for me to find one, then a few popped up in quick succession. 

22 hours ago, goldust40 said:

There are quite a few Farrell’s with “racial slurs” I believe. This was the mood of the country at the time and quite acceptable. Not unlike the anti German and Japanese covers during WWII. 

50 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
23 hours ago, goldust40 said:

There are quite a few Farrell’s with “racial slurs” I believe. This was the mood of the country at the time and quite acceptable. Not unlike the anti German and Japanese covers during WWII. 

As an avid war comic reader, you don't have to tell me! What is more unusual however is that this book (and a few others) has the slur on its cover.

Not too many books with the actual terminology used on the cover:

Attack #8
Battle Report #6
G.I. in Battle #9
War Heroes #1 (thanks lbcolefan!)
War Heroes #5 (thanks lbcolefan!)
War Report #5

More?

Edited by 707comics
added some covers based on feedback from lbcolefan