• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age War comics
15 15

1,413 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

thought I would be in the running, but instead got smoked on this one

$701 on CL

just got graded last month, and I've seen the back, so unless there's a spine split, looks like they're tighter than a gnat's sphincter

01953481655000112118318006.jpg

CGC has been really tight on Atlas books lately IMO.  

yeh, not just

I know they don't deduct for miscuts, but I thought the market would discount the Battlefront on that basis.  Then again - could the hammer actually be a discounted bid?  I know romance is hotter than a pistol too right now

10 hours ago, Scrooge said:

I don't follow prices in general these days but $700 ?!? Is that normal?

Things have gotten really wild with 50s war books lately.  I can't say that it's "normal", especially for a 5.5, but I also can't say that it's unexpected.  

2 minutes ago, buttock said:

Things have gotten really wild with 50s war books lately.  I can't say that it's "normal", especially for a 5.5, but I also can't say that it's unexpected.  

What's accounting for it? That wave of higher prices. I assume that I am safe and can still get lower grade items for reasonable prices, no?

14 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

What's accounting for it? That wave of higher prices. I assume that I am safe and can still get lower grade items for reasonable prices, no?

Other than people realizing how cool these are, I don't know.  But yes, in general, lower grade books have not had the same jump with notable exceptions. 

8 hours ago, buttock said:

Hmm, I own about 300 of them and I would say 1 out of 4 have splits, detached covers, missing pages, rust staples and much more defects. I normally keep better copies. They are pretty tough in grade.

5 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Hmm, I own about 300 of them and I would say 1 out of 4 have splits, detached covers, missing pages, rust staples and much more defects. I normally keep better copies. They are pretty tough in grade.

They're tougher than just about any other genre or era.  Romance is probably harder to find in grade, and in general.  Maybe funny animal, but lots of file copies to sift through, so I would say that you can at least find more of those in grade.  There are notable pedigrees, but the war content of most is lacking, and 9.0+ are quite rare.  Compare them to PCH and it's kind of surprising.  For all of Atlas war, there are fewer than 40 certified books in 9.0 or better. 

31 minutes ago, buttock said:

They're tougher than just about any other genre or era.  Romance is probably harder to find in grade, and in general.  Maybe funny animal, but lots of file copies to sift through, so I would say that you can at least find more of those in grade.  There are notable pedigrees, but the war content of most is lacking, and 9.0+ are quite rare.  Compare them to PCH and it's kind of surprising.  For all of Atlas war, there are fewer than 40 certified books in 9.0 or better. 

It's going to explode soon.  Clink just started it as well as you and other boradie.

17 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

It's going to explode soon.  Clink just started it as well as you and other boradie.

I don't know about that.  I've got a lot of them and I have no intention of sending them in.  Most people I know who have high grade copies aren't interested in selling or certifying.  It's a different breed of collector.  

58 minutes ago, buttock said:

I don't know about that.  I've got a lot of them and I have no intention of sending them in.  Most people I know who have high grade copies aren't interested in selling or certifying.  It's a different breed of collector.  

Well I noticed the new tread just started few months.

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

Yes, I bought many GA war books at incredibly low prices in 2018 and 2019. The prices have gone higher in late 2019.  I have been paying attention to the details.

2016 is the first nutty price I can remember.  Prior to that I could justify essentially every sale.  When that 5.5 War 11 sold people took notice.  However, has that drawn out any other HG War 11s?  Nope.  At least not publicly. 

4 hours ago, buttock said:

2016 is the first nutty price I can remember.  Prior to that I could justify essentially every sale.  When that 5.5 War 11 sold people took notice.  However, has that drawn out any other HG War 11s?  Nope.  At least not publicly. 

I got 5.0 from here. That was in 2018.  I sold two VG copies (one here and on eBay. Everything went quiet for a while.