• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age War comics
15 15

1,413 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, EyelessZombie said:

I’m not sure how I never noticed this before but the guy with the headshot in War Fury #1 is the exact same image as Horrific #3. Just rotate and crop. Still can’t believe I never noticed this until now...

Haha. It is also on the CGC label note :shy: 

On 7/7/2020 at 2:30 PM, 1950's war comics said:

they all look good in Mylars, but i need to go through them all.. doubtful i have any 7.0 or better , especially these days when i hear CGC is grading super tight!

nooo I prefer loosey goosey :bigsmile:. Just sent in a small batch of ww2 covers. 

On 6/7/2017 at 10:57 AM, Scrooge said:
On 6/6/2017 at 4:48 PM, creaturefan95 said:
On 5/30/2017 at 11:19 PM, Scrooge said:
On 5/30/2017 at 5:03 PM, creaturefan95 said:

I am looking for a Hank Chapman war story about a soldier who gets stuck on his own bayonet and decides to shoot himself with the weapon rather than be taken hostage. I doubt it features either Combat Kelly or Combat Casey. Is there anything published by Atlas with this exact plot? It seems to me that it could be "Guard Duty" from Men's Adventures #11. Does anybody know of any other ones more closely fitting his description? It sounds like a good read!

Ger might have conflated two stories but his description in my mind match the Guard Duty story you linked to. However, I have in my mind another story where the soldier gets caved in and then might decide to shoot himself when he hears the enemy dig in his direction. You best bet of course would be to contact Ger directly. Since it seems tough to contact him via the blog, send him a message on eBay - His ID there is simply gerapeldoorn

@Scrooge Do you know the name of this tale, any creator credits, its issue's cover date, or what title it was from?

Sadly, no. I looked through some scans I have to see if I could find it ... but no luck. I can still see the panel I remember with the soldier in the cave-in looking at his girl's photo while musing on what to do but no luck turning up from what book it came from.

I thought of more questions and they may help us find what you described. Are you sure the story is pre-code? By “the enemy,” you mean communist soldiers, right? Can you recall its beginning or ending? Do you suppose someone besides Atlas published it?

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell