• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave and the Bold 34 and Silver age Hawkman
1 1

74 posts in this topic

post your brave and the bold 34's, also post any silver age Hawkman I am a big fan of this book (my favorite DC silver age cover). Any stories relating to this book are welcome.

Stories, you say? Okay then. Here's one:

Brave and the Bold 43 is one of the favourite comics in my collection because it's so nostalgia ridden. I was well aware of Hawkman's appearances in the Brave and the Bold as a kid but I'd still not managed to secure a single one by late 1964/early 1965. But then I met another comic enthusiast of roughly my age at the News Depot on Dundas Street in downtown London and I agreed to visit him to trade comics. He turned out to be attending a rather upscale boarding school with semi-private rooms near the University of Western Ontario. He only had a few comics but among them was a copy of Brave and the Bold 43, one of those legendary early appearances of Hawkman that I'd read so much about in the Schwartz letter columns! I tried to stay calm and not tip him off to my almost palpably eager craving for that comic, and I succeeded! What a prize!

BraveandBold43.jpg

It was my best back issue score ever as a kid!

:)

Edited by Hepcat

DC's Silver Age may have reached an apex with Hawkman's Brave and the Bold tryout series in 1961 and then again in 1962 illustrated by the incomparable Joe Kubert. Now we frequently post and comment upon covers on this forum but splash pages rarely draw any attention or remarks. Here therefore are my favourite covers and splash pages from Hawkman's Brave and the Bold tryout runs:

But wait a minute here! Everybody knows that the Hawks get their lift from their belts which are made from an anti-gravity metal, right? Right?! After all this was explained early on by writer Gardner Fox in Brave and the Bold 34 and used on occasion thereafter as a plot device. The Hawks wings are only there to enable them to maneuver. So why then is Hawkgirl falling like a stone just because one of the Manhawks has made her wings vanish? 

And then the same blunder was repeated in Mystery in Space 88!

Not being able to remember the powers they themselves had just recently given their characters was a bad brain cramp on the part of writer Gardner Fox and editor Julius Schwartz.

:preach:

B&B 34 - 2.5, 1.8, raw

B&B 35 - 2.0 raw 

Hawkman 1 - 3.5 raw

Hawkman  4 - 1.8 raw

Some of my favorite comics ever. Im not one to buy high grade comics, so I normally settle for low. These are definitely the crown jewels of my collection. B&B 34's gotta be my favorite comic of all time, with Hawkman, of course, being my favorite character. 

B&B 34 1.5 Mylar.jpeg

B&B 34 2.5.jpeg

Hawkman 4.jpeg

Hawkman 1.jpeg

B&B 35.jpeg