• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does the Forum think about a Lawyer turning a collector away...

381 posts in this topic

Fair or not you've had more negative comments directed your way than the rest of the board membership combined.

Really? Seriously?

To advise someone on the boards to not do business with another boardie because they are nuts? And one who has had excellent board feedback for their transactions?

Cal's Kudos

Has Cal even been remotely elected to the PL/HOS? And has Cal REALLY had more negative comments?.Of what nature? How many Cal buying or selling "negative comments" has Cal had? And this IS about buying/selling.

How does Cal's "negative comments" which are mainly reflections of his interesting personality compare to, say, Conner or AlleyBat or Herald2Galactus? Would you really equate the number (not to mention the quality of) posts about Cal vs ComicSupply?

This is totally screwed up. FFB's comments are way out of line. Him being a lawyer, I can't believe he didn't include a "in my opinion" clause in his statement that Cal is nuts.

Should I ever decide and be able to afford to collect again (probably Kirby/Ditko pre-hero monster type books) I would never hesitate to buy from Cal.

It was merely this: (tsk)

Which can be interpreted to be anything from a joke to a nebulous admonition. Not something to fly off the handle about.

If you are a non-whack-a-doodle.

He did say "(sell to anyone)But not to Calamerica. That is the worst advice anyone could give you. He's nuts.he's nuts". That's a bit harsher than a finger wave...

Other than his oft times nutty posts, has Cal ever screwed anybody over? If he has, it is news to me. I have had a couple of transactions with him and have no complaints.

I say this wasn't called for in the open forum - should have been a PM in the least.

This is just mean spirited.A bit assholish if you ask me.

from a Dealer that collects PLODS???

We have FFB on the Grading and Restoration Thread TELLING a newbie-type collector NOT to sell to a certain Boardie that collects PLODS.

Let's see the collective conscious of this Forum now...

CAL who can't wait to see the responses...

If I were a noob I would appreciate a heads-up. There are some personalities who are constantly poised to be forever offended. Best not to volunteer to become a future offending party, if it can be avoided.

(you asked what people thought.)

FFB voiced an opinion. That's what messageboards are for. (thumbs u

Was wondering how long it would take you to cover up for your bro.He is wrong just like you.

What a thread!

Sorry Cal - but I'm not going to apologize for giving a newbie my opinion and I don't care how many people that upsets. And in my opinion, having been on these forums for seven and a half years and seen your weird, oftentimes bizarre behavior toward others (or just in general), you are more than merely eccentric. Your behavior seems like you have a screw loose.

Your money may be good, but my personal philosophy is that I don't buy or sell to people I would not want to deal with on a personal level because eventually something bad happens. Others' mileage may vary. I also don't judge people based on who they buy from or sell to. It's their business. But I freely offer my opinion when I see fit.

Also, the post someone linked to in the original thread made it clear that you wanted 7.0 or better, which the ASM#5 wasn't.

Regardless, if you really wanted the book, why not just PM the guy with an offer? I doubt my opinion about your strange behavior on the boards would have scuttled a deal if you had been willing to buy at an acceptable price to the seller.

But then, you weren't interested enough in the book to make an offer, were you? You're more interested in the drama of starting multiple threads and in being Cal the Victim. Happy to oblige you in this latest episode in your ongoing saga.

Fair or not you've had more negative comments directed your way than the rest of the board membership combined.

Really? Seriously?

To advise someone on the boards to not do business with another boardie because they are nuts? And one who has had excellent board feedback for their transactions?

Cal's Kudos

Has Cal even been remotely elected to the PL/HOS? And has Cal REALLY had more negative comments?.Of what nature? How many Cal buying or selling "negative comments" has Cal had? And this IS about buying/selling.

How does Cal's "negative comments" which are mainly reflections of his interesting personality compare to, say, Conner or AlleyBat or Herald2Galactus? Would you really equate the number (not to mention the quality of) posts about Cal vs ComicSupply?

This is totally screwed up. FFB's comments are way out of line. Him being a lawyer, I can't believe he didn't include a "in my opinion" clause in his statement that Cal is nuts.

Should I ever decide and be able to afford to collect again (probably Kirby/Ditko pre-hero monster type books) I would never hesitate to buy from Cal.

I have no doubt that Cal is a honest and reliable seller but buying and selling isn't just a financial transaction to me. I buy from boardies I like, boardies

who have financial problems, and boardies who IMHO contribute to the boards.

I wouldn't buy from Cal because I've seen too many crazy threads with his name on them. I would imagine Scott feels the same way. Scott's comments were out of line but so are many other posts directed at Cal.

What a thread!

Sorry Cal - but I'm not going to apologize for giving a newbie my opinion and I don't care how many people that upsets. And in my opinion, having been on these forums for seven and a half years and seen your weird, oftentimes bizarre behavior toward others (or just in general), you are more than merely eccentric. Your behavior seems like you have a screw loose.

Your money may be good, but my personal philosophy is that I don't buy or sell to people I would not want to deal with on a personal level because eventually something bad happens. Others' mileage may vary. I also don't judge people based on who they buy from or sell to. It's their business. But I freely offer my opinion when I see fit.

Also, the post someone linked to in the original thread made it clear that you wanted 7.0 or better, which the ASM#5 wasn't.

Regardless, if you really wanted the book, why not just PM the guy with an offer? I doubt my opinion about your strange behavior on the boards would have scuttled a deal if you had been willing to buy at an acceptable price to the seller.

But then, you weren't interested enough in the book to make an offer, were you? You're more interested in the drama of starting multiple threads and in being Cal the Victim. Happy to oblige you in this latest episode in your ongoing saga.

My personal philosophy has been altered thanks to you. Remember your anger at my mentioning your press when I and other boardies, some years ago, visited your Treasure Island home? I remember, when I asked where your press was in all innocence, you pulling me aside and seeming rather upset, told me to not mention your press.

Remember when I was selling a couple of Atlas precodes to you and telling you it was for charity? And simply asking VF guide for them? And you pressing them and then us meeting at a Hunan Chinese restaurant in SF? And you showing me the pressing results and my advising you to humidify the pages and how to? I was under the impression they were for your collection. But you then proceeded to sell them with considerable praise in the description and no pressing mentioned.

I don't know. In my opinion, things are sometimes not exactly what they seem.

What a thread!

My personal philosophy has been altered thanks to you. Remember your anger at my mentioning your press when I and other boardies, some years ago, visited your Treasure Island home? I remember, when I asked where your press was in all innocence, you pulling me aside and seeming rather upset, told me to not mention your press.

Remember when I was selling a couple of Atlas precodes to you and telling you it was for charity? And simply asking VF guide for them? And you pressing them and then us meeting at a Hunan Chinese restaurant in SF? And my advising you to humidify the pages and how to? I was under the impression they were for your collection. But you then proceeded to sell them with considerable praise in the description and no pressing mentioned.

I don't know. In my opinion, things are sometimes not exactly what they seem.

No, Mike, I do not remember these things because they are either blatantly misleading or untrue.

You sold me one Marvel Tales #8. It had a curved edge to it and was about a FN with the defect. I pressed it out and sold it to a friend who did not care about pressing (as we had discussed previously) and was happy with the book. This was what, five years ago?

The other books you sold to me (Suspense Detective #1 and a handful of others) I still have. The Marvel Tales #8 was the only one I sold, if I remember correctly. At NO time did I say that the books were for my personal collection, and I resent your implication that I lied to you to get a discount. I did nothing of the sort.

I do not remember you saying you were selling them to raise money for charity, but even if you were, so what? I paid what you asked and did not do anything untoward to try to get you to reduce your price. You were a friend and I was trying to pay you fair value for the books. I paid you more than what the Marvel Tales #8 was worth in its present condition because I knew the defect would press out. And it did. So?

You did not "advise" me of anything regarding pressing. I already knew how to press books then, as evidenced by the fact that I was freely telling anyone on the boards who asked me how the basic technique worked. I made no secret of it. You once mentioned to me how you humidified books and I pointed out that your technique could result in rusted staples.

The reason I asked you not to mention my press on the occasion you mention is because we were at a forum dinner at my house with one person in particular who was very anti-pressing at the time and I preferred not to get into a heated argument in my own house about it while I was hosting a social occasion for my comic book buddies. I wasn't "upset" or "angry." I just asked you not to bring it up because I wanted the evening to be fun and not turn into a pressing/anti-pressing argument as so many threads at the time were becoming. Have I ever kept pressing a secret here? Hardly.

You did NOT know how to press books then. You knew how to press covers but the interior pages eluded you apparently, based on the results you showed me. You don't remember showing me the books and don't remember wondering why the pages were not pressing properly? You don't remember my telling you to humidify them and how to humidify them interlacing them with dampened paper (a concept you much later decried) as I recall in the debacle post about the humidifier chamber when I expressed concern about the potential of the book falling into the water without a screen? And we got into a whole water impurity thing.

About a Fine? Are you nuts?

When you warned me about mentioning your press you almost pushed me into the wall and your voice was as loud and forceful as you could make it amoung company that was a few feet away. You were quite angry and your expression was very angry.

I guess you don't remember my telling you the books were for charity. I guess you don't remember telling me about a couple of lawyers (women as I recall) that would be best to help me set up a non-profit for the same cause? (just too pricey for me to do then so I did not pursue it).

It is all memory and perception, I guess.

Mike, please. The notion that I would push you into a wall and yell at you in front of my other guests (Divad, Jeff Li and Jim M) is laughable. I think I actually winked at you and gave you an "ixnay" sign to let it go and that was it. This near-assault you describe is a figment of your imagination.

The MT #8 was a Fine before I pressed it. It was a VF/NM after I pressed a book-length bend (through all of the pages and front and back cover) out of it. It looked like it had been stored for years in a box that was too narrow for it. Ask anyone if a Fine is an unreasonable grade for a VF/NM book with a book-length bend through all of the pages and the covers, front and back. It sure as heck wouldn't have graded VF, which is what I paid you for it!

As for whether I knew how to press covers vs. interiors, we aren't going to resolve this here. You clearly remember things differently than I do. If you want to act like you are Yoda to my Luke Skywalker where pressing is concerned, knock yourself out. My recollection is different. I think some research into when I sold the MT8 and my very public pressing posts in the resto forum at the time will show that you are mistaken.

You did NOT know how to press books then. You knew how to press covers but the interior pages eluded you apparently, based on the results you showed me. You don't remember showing me the books and don't remember wondering why the pages were not pressing properly? You don't remember my telling you to humidify them and how to humidify them interlacing them with dampened paper (a concept you much later decried) as I recall in the debacle post about the humidifier chamber when I expressed concern about the potential of the book falling into the water without a screen? And we got into a whole water impurity thing.

When you warned me about mentioning your press you almost pushed me into the wall and your voice was as loud and forceful as you could make it amoung company that was a few feet away. You were quite angry and your expression was very angry.

I guess you don't remember my telling you the books were for charity. I guess you don't remember telling me about a couple of lawyers (women as I recall) that would be best to help me set up a non-profit for the same cause? (just too pricey for me to do then so I did not pursue it).

Mike, please. The notion that I would push you into a wall and yell at you in front of my other guests (Divad, Jeff Li and Jim M) is laughable. I think I actually winked at you and gave you an "ixnay" sign to let it go and that was it. This near-assault you describe is a figment of your imagination.

The MT #8 was a Fine before I pressed it. It was a VF/NM after I pressed a book-length bend (through all of the pages and front and back cover) out of it. It looked like it had been stored for years in a box that was too narrow for it. Ask anyone if a Fine is an unreasonable grade for a VF/NM book with a book-length bend through all of the pages and the covers, front and back. It sure as heck wouldn't have graded VF, which is what I paid you for it!

As for whether I knew how to press covers vs. interiors, we aren't going to resolve this here. You clearly remember things differently than I do. If you want to act like you are Yoda to my Luke Skywalker where pressing is concerned, knock yourself out. My recollection is different. I think some research into when I sold the MT8 and my very public pressing posts in the resto forum at the time will show that you are mistaken.

Ixnay sign? IXNAY??? You were almost beet red and I had NEVER seen you look like that. It is why it remains in my memory.

Just a few minutes ago I wrote "you almost pushed me into the wall and your voice was as loud and forceful as you could make it amoung company that was a few feet away".

You responded to that as saying "The notion that I would push you into a wall and yell at you in front of my other guests."

There is a lot of difference between those two scenarios. And only minutes apart between my saying and your recounting.

Must wonder how much greater the differences when there are a few years apart.

Whatever you say, Mike. I am not sure how "loud and forceful" my voice could be if I were supposedly trying not to be heard by someone else who was less than six feet away from me at the time. Nor do I know what you mean by "almost" pushing you into a wall. Did I grab you? Or did I "use The Force"? What did Jim, Jeff, Divad and my wife say when I treated you so rudely? They were all there at the time and they're all forum members. Let's see if they remember it like you do? Or if they remember this virtual non-event at all?

Frankly, I think you're just pizzed that I sold the MT8 five or six years ago and this is your notion of revenge. Such silliness.

Ixnay sign? IXNAY??? You were almost beet red and I had NEVER seen you look like that. It is why it remains in my memory.

Just a few minutes ago I wrote "you almost pushed me into the wall and your voice was as loud and forceful as you could make it amoung company that was a few feet away".

You responded to that as saying "The notion that I would push you into a wall and yell at you in front of my other guests."

There is a lot of difference between those two scenarios. And only minutes apart between my saying and your recounting.

Must wonder how much greater the differences when there are a few years apart.