• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

British Pence Variants

114 posts in this topic

Reading a bit more about the 30 cent variants, they appeared only in the following markets:

Grand Rapids, MI

Baltimore, MD

San Antonio, TX

San Jose, CA

Albuquerque, NM

Somewhere in Massachusetts

(info from stlcomics.com

For my two cents - I don't consider foreign books to be "variants". But I do consider the 30¢ Marvels to be true variants, as they seem to adhere to the definition of "variant" : something that differs from a standard or type. Those variants were a limited run, in limited areas and had a different printed price.

If you are looking for pence copies contact UK based dealers like FT. They cost less than cents copies generally so you don't pay the premium MHC charge.
+1

It's simple to research these books online, to quickly discover that they are ordinary, plentiful and much, much cheaper in the UK, and that MHC's gouging can be circumvented very, very easily. (thumbs u

There was a theme about this topic a few weeks ago.

You can find some very usefull info here:

http://stlcomics.com/columns/maneevent/I/

Thanks for the link. Always very interesting to read another article on the subject. :)

Reading a bit more about the 30 cent variants, they appeared only in the following markets:

Grand Rapids, MI

Baltimore, MD

San Antonio, TX

San Jose, CA

Albuquerque, NM

Somewhere in Massachusetts

(info from stlcomics.com

For my two cents - I don't consider foreign books to be "variants". But I do consider the 30¢ Marvels to be true variants, as they seem to adhere to the definition of "variant" : something that differs from a standard or type. Those variants were a limited run, in limited areas and had a different printed price.

I know what you are saying but, these books are slightly different to other "foreign books", because other than the price (and in some cases banner) they are exactly the same as the US editions.

Right down to the indicia, sea monkey ads and the look who's smiling now guy on the back cover.

It's simple to research these books online, to quickly discover that they are ordinary, plentiful and much, much cheaper in the UK, and that MHC's gouging can be circumvented very, very easily. (thumbs u

Well, i have over the years gotten all the US variants i wanted but not for the pence issues as i 'm still looking high and low to obtain certain pence variants, and this are just the normal issues, not high grade or bronze keys.

Anyone knows the typical print runs for both the US and pence price variants?

If you are looking for pence copies contact UK based dealers like FT. They cost less than cents copies generally so you don't pay the premium MHC charge.

Good Sir, what's FT stands for ? Ccould you please email me the details? Thanks!

FT = Flaming Telepath = Nick Beckett of Comicana Direct

Anyone knows the typical print runs for both the US and pence price variants?

They were parts of the same print run.

5% or less of the total print run of a particular issue would have the pence cover.

The market has said the pence are worth less despite being rarer, which is a bit illogical. On some of these books a 9.6 pence version might be the highest graded copy.

were there newstand returns in the UK or did leftovers all wind up in some aftermarket?

5% of the print run, but you know those brits are natural born pack rats/collectors haven't you ever seen cash in the attic? every copy probably got kept in top notch condition!

I wish :insane:

I am sure there are plenty of nice collections over here from 1959 onwards that are OO's (or close if you know what i mean :insane:).

Over the next few years it would be nice to see some high grade pence copies surfacing.

5% of the print run, but you know those brits are natural born pack rats/collectors haven't you ever seen cash in the attic? every copy probably got kept in top notch condition!

Contrary to that perception, such culture of careful comics storage is more definitely the indicative norm among comics readers/collectors in the US because comics by and large were handled roughly like any other form of reading material in the UK and Commonwealth areas where they were sold.

:) Unlikely. Before I started collecting properly, all I could find were pence copies from news stands, and I used to read them over and over again, carelessly, like most kids would do anywhere. The only outlet in town that I bought comics from at this stage was the bus station kiosk, so the books were often exposed to the North West's damp climate, and well thumbed through - not much in UHG available from that source. I eventually moved on to buying pence copies from an indoor market stall that got in a single, bundled mixture of comics each month, containing just one copy of each distributed Marvel and DC book, some Harveys and Charltons as well. Once again, the odds of obtaining every issue of a title I collected, month in, month out, in absolutely top notch condition, weren't exactly great. :(

05326894972.31.BRITISH.GIF

That's a coincidence. Deathlok in Astonishing Tales is the only complete run I have as pence copies. (thumbs u

Actually, I collect Pence books and have a few hundred or so. I posted some in the past. maybe I should post a few here. After I finished My FF collection I started on a Pence set and it grew from there.

The primary purpose of this thread is to get those with very rare issues and if possible in high grade, to showcase them, and perhaps to sell or trade them.

Just wondering which particular periods your issues range from? Cutting staright to the point, Brian, do you have the pence issues of Hulk 141 & ASM 80 & 135, Marvel Feature 1-3, Defenders 1-4, 11,13-16, X-men 44, 49-56, Fantastic four 150,155 Daredevil 80,109,118,123, 131-134, Conan 1-7,14-15, Astonishing Tales 1 in high NM grade?

Comparing a pre 1975 cents with a pence issue:

97792366288.62.GIF

97792366288.62.BRITISH.GIF