• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

British Pence Variants

114 posts in this topic

My pence range from silver to early copper. I only collect certain titles. Fantastic Four and ASM from your list above. Not sure all of what I have. Most tend to be mid range others higher.

Here is an X-men Key

scan0024-1.jpg

I Don't have X-men GS1 94,95 and hulk 181 for sure.

X-Men 96 was the first distributed / pence issue in the run.

None of the Marvel Giant-Sizes were distributed either.

Incredible Hulk wasn't available here for quite a long period in the 70s - including issue 181, unfortunately. :(

Incredible Hulk wasn't available here for quite a long period in the 70s - including issue 181, unfortunately. :(

I have seen X-men GS1 and Hulk pence issues preceding 181. I think the distribution is quite uneven, even in some small cities and towns. On a certain month, some areas and shops may get so many of a certain issue, while others don't or receive one or a few, or may not received that particular issue, and there were also regular shipments of what i believe were unsold bundles of back issues. Take for example, Thor 272, i can still remember finding so many copies of that in one area while another area was not carrying it but other titles.

I am keen to know, Ken, where you get the information that X-men 96 was the first pence issue when X-men from the time of Lee/Kirby had been printed in pence from the 60s.

I am keen to know, Ken, where you get the information that X-men 96 was the first pence issue when X-men from the time of Lee/Kirby had been printed in pence from the 60s.

I assumed, in context, that you would understand I was talking about the New X-Men run. (shrug)

The primary purpose of this thread is to get those with very rare issues and if possible in high grade, to showcase them, and perhaps to sell or trade them.

Just wondering which particular periods your issues range from? Cutting staright to the point, Brian, do you have the pence issues of Hulk 141 & ASM 80 & 135, Marvel Feature 1-3, Defenders 1-4, 11,13-16, X-men 44, 49-56, Fantastic four 150,155 Daredevil 80,109,118,123, 131-134, Conan 1-7,14-15, Astonishing Tales 1 in high NM grade?

The following from your list were not issued in the UK so pence copies just do not exist:

ASM 135, Marvel Feature 1-3 (presumably 1st series you mean?), Defendera 1-3, 13, 14, Daredevil 109, Conan 2, 7, Astonishing Tales 1.

Info obtained fro Duncan McAlpine's British Price Guides, mainly published during the 90's.

I have a complete list I compiled using the guide in word format. It's too big to copy here so PM me if you would like a copy. (thumbs u

Neil

I have seen X-men GS1 and Hulk pence issues preceding 181. I think the distribution is quite uneven, even in some small cities and towns. On a certain month, some areas and shops may get so many of a certain issue, while others don't or receive one or a few, or may not received that particular issue, and there were also regular shipments of what i believe were unsold bundles of back issues. Take for example, Thor 272, i can still remember finding so many copies of that in one area while another area was not carrying it but other titles.

Thorpe and Porter began distributing in the UK in Oct/Nov 1959. The comics would come in as a ships ballast. During the sixties it was easier to find comics in shipping towns where the ships docked.

My Dad, in Middlesbrough was able to buy pretty much any comic that was sent over during the sixties - there were plenty of shops selling them. Its conceivable that some places missed out due to uneven distribution, but of course we will never know for certain.

UK copies were also affected in certain months - such as when ports went on strike, some issues were affected by water getting to them on the journey over etc...

The primary purpose of this thread is to get those with very rare issues and if possible in high grade, to showcase them, and perhaps to sell or trade them.

Just wondering which particular periods your issues range from? Cutting staright to the point, Brian, do you have the pence issues of Hulk 141 & ASM 80 & 135, Marvel Feature 1-3, Defenders 1-4, 11,13-16, X-men 44, 49-56, Fantastic four 150,155 Daredevil 80,109,118,123, 131-134, Conan 1-7,14-15, Astonishing Tales 1 in high NM grade?

The following from your list were not issued in the UK so pence copies just do not exist:

ASM 135, Marvel Feature 1-3 (presumably 1st series you mean?), Defendera 1-3, 13, 14, Daredevil 109, Conan 2, 7, Astonishing Tales 1.

Info obtained fro Duncan McAlpine's British Price Guides, mainly published during the 90's.

I have a complete list I compiled using the guide in word format. It's too big to copy here so PM me if you would like a copy. (thumbs u

Neil

There were also ND (Not Distributed) notations for some Thor's like #283, #304 and #305. Was always exciting when I found an ND book back in the day. :cloud9:

Neil

There were also ND (Not Distributed) notations for some Thor's like #283, #304 and #305. Was always exciting when I found an ND book back in the day. :cloud9:

Thanks r100comics and nmtg9 !!!

5% of the print run, but you know those brits are natural born pack rats/collectors haven't you ever seen cash in the attic? every copy probably got kept in top notch condition!

Contrary to that perception, such culture of careful comics storage is more definitely the indicative norm among comics readers/collectors in the US because comics by and large were handled roughly like any other form of reading material in the UK and Commonwealth areas where they were sold.

I agree with this totally, the UK didn't have the "collecting culture" regarding comics that there was in the US. Comics were just seen as reading material by the vast majority and weren't put into storage as a collection. As a result, many copies of pence editions will have been destroyed with a further large number having suffered in condition due to handling and poor storage. Combine this with the low distribution numbers in the first place and the result is that pence copies in the higher grades are far, far harder to find than their US counterparts.

I have just ran thru' Neil's list for those pence issues not distributed and it is as what Ken had said, there was no GS X-men 1 and Hulk 181. But I did remember seeing the GS X-men 1 pegged on top of the newstand, right up there with Marvel Two-in One Annual 1, and Daredevil 143. As i was only allowed by my parents to buy just one comic and so out of those three covers that most appealed to me, i chose the DD 143.

I could still remember whenever i think back about missing the GS X-men 1 when it first came out on the stands and it was later in the years of the 80s when the title became so popular that i wished i had chosen the GS 1 instead, or even then the MTO Annual 2.

So on that GS X-men 1 i have seen, it 's either a cents issue or a rare pence issue which the guide might have missed and then crossed out its existence.

Given the demand for GS XM 1 and how often I've discussed it with other collectors here in the UK, I thought that over 35 years or so there would have been some mention of a pence version, but not even once. Sorry.

DD143 was from 1977 and the Marvel 2in1 ann1 from 1976.

Looks like the shop you were in was one of those wonderful old shops that had lots of comics in - you just dont find them anymore over here (outside the evil FP of course) (thumbs u