• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Rare are Double Cover

47 posts in this topic

In my younger days ('86/'87) I rode my bike down to the local drug store to pick up some comics. I grabbed a few off the spinner rack and headed home. When I sat down to start reading I opened the front cover on one of them and found another cover staring back at me. I didn't think much of it at the time as I was more into reading than collecting and it got lost in the shuffle somewhere over the years. If I remember correctly it was a copy of X-Factor #11. Since then I've owned quite a few double covers but that's the only one I ever picked off the rack/shelf.

I just got this HG ASM 52 its a double cover...how rare are they...

:grin: Very Rare would you like to see more Amazing Spider-Man Comics with Double Covers just click on this Link: ASM Double Cover Collection

(thumbs u Very Cool find any interested in trading or selling it my collecting is still missing that issue. :foryou::cloud9:

Make sure you check your multi-cover magazines for multiple staple holes.

Believe it or not, there are actually dishonest people in the comic selling business.

Just because it has multiple covers doesn't mean it originally came from the printer that way.

Multi-cover comic books = Caveat emptor.

I just got this HG ASM 52 its a double cover...how rare are they...

:grin: Very Rare would you like to see more Amazing Spider-Man Comics with Double Covers just click on this Link: ASM Double Cover Collection

(thumbs u Very Cool find any interested in trading or selling it my collecting is still missing that issue. :foryou::cloud9:

Very nice collection! :applause:

On 06/03/2017 at 6:08 AM, Derbyfan701 said:

I once owned ASM 361 9.9 Signed by Stan Lee with 8 covers :(  ext. cover was 9.6 with 2 9.9 interior covers and the rest 9.8  GOD how I wish i had not sold that one....lol.  

That's interesting. I had a triple cover 361 once - it sold very well on Ebay but I was always worried it may have been a construct. As I recall, the recipient was delighted however and the fact yours had 8 covers shows it may indeed have come from a troubled print run....

58bf13785ff64_361detriple.thumb.jpg.f9a966ff4334ea449e2b49286142f905.jpg

I have around 25,000 comics and am aware of 4 double covers in there.  I have not sought them out, but I sure as heck don't turn my nose up at them.

True, if I do a book-by-book inventory I may discover more.

So, in my anecdotal experience, fairly uncommon.  Other's experiences may vary.

Anybody know how rare a Incredible Hulk 162 first Wendigo double cover is?

Generally curious buuuut:

There is no real way to know, no print run of it etc. But I think in general we would all really like to know "how rare are double covers of anything".......in case we stumble across any double covers etc.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Anybody know how rare a Incredible Hulk 162 first Wendigo double cover is?

Generally curious buuuut:

There is no real way to know, no print run of it etc. But I think in general we would all really like to know "how rare are double covers of anything".......in case we stumble across any double covers etc.

You will never really know because going by slabs is pointless.  Nobody will slab a 5.0 of that book.

A dealer/collector who process a huge amount of inventory, buys collections, etc. may have a better sense than some of us.  Flying Donut has been into variants and errors since forever, I remember him on the ebay boards too in the early 2000s before I joined here... Dan, what are your thoughts?  My experience is like 1 every 5,000 books I own, but that seems too small as I see people talking about them more frequently it would seem.

On 10/9/2011 at 10:39 AM, ciorac said:

I've gone years without finding one, then over the past few months I've found six GA comics with double covers from one source collection

I have a similar story.  Found one small original owner collection of about 350 books.  Found four double covers in it, including two double cover copies of Haunted #1.