• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden (and Platinum) Age Comic Book Characters Go To The Movies

24 posts in this topic

While many of the comic book characters we grew up with in the 1960s - 1980s have started to hit the big screens in the last decade or two, and in many ways possibly owe their continuing survival to the Hollywood success they have experienced, movies about comic book/newspaper characters have been around virtually since the characters were created. Hollywood and comic book publishers have had an alliance, perhaps uneasy at times particularly when it came to storyline, for decades.

If anyone has any examples of items involving comic book characters in the movies from the Golden Age and before, let's see them!

1949 movie poster

DSCN1760.jpg

Great stuff, I don't think I've heard of the Blackhawk serial before.

I've seen it, but it wasn't too good - and I am a huge Blackhawk fan. If I remember, instead of each having their own planes, they tend to climb in side one big one and do a lot of running from place to place on the ground.

However having Superman Kirk Allen was a plus.

My dad has the regular movie size poster for the serial at home.

--

That Superman 3-sheet has incredible art and is something I had never seen before. I am used to the serial posters that leave a square open so they can put the new lobby card each week without having to swap out the whole poster.

Mark,

There's a great video store in North Hollywood, Calif that carries all these comic book serials: Eddie Brandt's Saturday Matinee. Sadly Eddie himself, passed on a few months ago. He was a great guy. I saw many Hollywood celebreties in his store over the last 25 years including Gary Owens, Stephen Spielberg, John Ritter and many others. Eddie was Hollywood's Go-to guy for hard to find films and serials. Looks like you'd have a field day in there.

SLR