• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Incredible Hulk 181

11 posts in this topic

Eeeh...FC and BC are about equal IMO.

Some foxing on both sides and a few dings and bends but nothing terrible. Solid 6.5. 7 may be possible...

Could use a press!

So, truth be told, I left the world of collecting in the early 2000's as my career and family life took more and more time (and money) so the idea of slabbing and such is relatively new to me. This is really my first return to the hobby, although it's mainly to sell what I can and make some space in the house... :)

Pressing seems to be hot topic and it's something I was reading up on last night a little bit. It seems to me that the greatest rewards might be in trying to push a 9.X up a grade or two, but at something like a 6.5-7.0 is it really going to make a marked difference?

Looking at Ebay, the 6.5's and 7.0's look to be within a $100 of each other when they sell. And the pressing service looks to run anywhere from $10 to $50?

Could this book maybe get bumped up a little more than that with a pressing treatment?

Again, I understand the controversy and I'm all for full disclosure, but I am interested in hearing about the pressing experience from anyone out here...

Thanks again everyone, these boards have been a great help so far!

--T

It looks like a 6.5 for sure and could possibly go 7.0. I think it would be worth sending the scans to a presser and seeing what they think. Of course they can't guarantee anything. I would study more on the sales between a 6.5 and a 7.0 on ebay and see if they consistently go for significantly more. If you could get it pressed for $25.00 and it would jump up $100.00 - would sure be worth it in my opinion...but pressed books don't bother me any. If the difference would not be all that much it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle of shipping it.

I tend to agree here with Wilson. Pressing services should run around $15 for the service + some shipping (maybe another $15 or so). And if I can turn $30ish into $100ish, I'll make that trade all day. That's essentially free money!

And the OP is right. If you can press a 9.2 and get it to a 9.4, you're talking big money on key books. But the flip side is if you have a $500ish book like we have here and can add a net $70 to $100 in value to it, you've generated a 14%-20% increase on said book.

The best course is to send the scans into the pressers and get their opinion. It's not like they've never seen a book in this range and have a general idea of the probable outcome.

More than likely, you'll come out ahead by pressing...

Just my opinion here...