• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age: Beginning, Middle, End

19 posts in this topic

OK boys & girls, let's get some traffic going in the Silver Age forum!

Some time ago there was a raging debate on the Bronze forum on what book started the Bronze Age (and wasn't that a fun time cool.gif ?)

Now, regarding Silver Age, most agree Showcase #4 kicked it off in 1956, and the best ending point I have heard is the final consecutive Jack Kirby Fantastic Four, #102, in 1970. But the whole debate about beginning/ending of the much less clear-cut Bronze Age led me to believe we really need various strata of the Silver Age to distinguish different periods (taken from the earlier post referenced above):

Early Silver Age: Showcase 4 up until Fantastic Four #1 (November 1961)

Middle (or "Marvel Age"): Fantastic Four #1, up until August 1966 (when Romita replaces Ditko on Amazing Spider-Man 39)

Late Silver Age: 1966-1970 (Fantastic Four 102), including as defining characteristics:

-Steranko's Nick Fury

-Adams Deadman

-all Giordano edited DC books (SAG Aquaman, Creeper, Hawk&Dove, Teen Titans, etc.)

-Romita Spider-Man

-Cosmic Kirby Fantastic Four

-O'Neil/Aragones/Cardy Bat Lash

-Joe Orlando's revival of horror (I mean "mystery") anthologies at DC

-no more Infantino Flash (Ross Andru instead)

-Infantino-initiated experimentation as editor-in-chief at National (aka DC)

So, a request to Silver Age lurkers everywhere, can you fill in other supporting evidence for this 3-tier structure, or propose your own improvement?

Cheers,

Z.

I think the "early" silver age should encompass the 1st appearances of the major Marvel Characters (not ending with the 1st Silver Marvel superhero title), so that puts it ending about mid-1964 (or April 1964 if you want to use Daredevil as the last major character). Not that it should be a criteria for defing ages, but pre-1965/1964 books are pretty scarce, and extremely scarce in high-grade.

For Mid-silver, I think a logical ending point is 4/68, when the Marvel #1's hit the stands. Not sure about all the DC's, but this is about the time their mystery titles took off, and it's also about the time Steranko and Adams were changing the tone/themes of the Marvel titles. 1965-1968 Marvels aren't too hard to come by, but high grades are, and books after '68 are (relatively) plentiful in high grade...

Z -

Very nice list. The only thing I would add to it or modify, would be the addition of some characters getting their own titles (you mentioned Fury). I'm talking about when TOS ended and Cap and Iron Man got their own title. Tales to Astonish ends: Hulk and Subby. Strange Tales ends: Fury (as mentioned) and Dr. Strange.

I'm not a big DC guy (except for Vertigo titles) , so I know very little about DC SA, sorry.

Chris

Thanks for the feedback, Doc Banner and Chrisco,

yeah, having early Silver be entirely pre-Marvel is controversial. Interested in other thoughts out there. Here's an updated framework:

Early Silver Age: Showcase 4 up until Fantastic Four #1 (November 1961)

Highlights include:

- Revivals of DC Golden Age heroes as new characters with new costumes

• Flash (1956),
    Green Lantern (1959),
    Justice Society (League) of America (1960),
    Hawkman (March 1961),
    ending with the Atom (October 1961).

- classic Infantino/Anderson art on Adam Strange and the Flash (occasionally).

- intro of DC's Earth-2, Golden Age Flash x-over (Sept 1961)

Middle (or "Marvel Age"): Fantastic Four #1, up until August 1966 (when Romita replaces Ditko on Amazing Spider-Man 39). Highlights include:

- Intros of all the Marvel Silver Age icons, culminating in Daredevil #1, April 1964.

- DC Golden Age revivals during this period are now the same characters out of retirement: Dr. Fate, Hourman, Starman, Black Canary, the Spectre.

- Marvel's emergence spawns start-up of Tower Comics (Thunder Agents)

Late Silver Age: 1966-1970 (Fantastic Four 102), including as defining characteristics:

-Steranko's Nick Fury

-Adams Deadman

-all Giordano edited DC books (SAG Aquaman, Creeper, Hawk&Dove, Teen Titans, etc.)

-Romita Spider-Man

-Cosmic Kirby Fantastic Four

-O'Neil/Aragones/Cardy Bat Lash

-Joe Orlando's revival of horror (I mean "mystery") anthologies at DC

-no more Infantino Flash (Ross Andru instead)

-Infantino-initiated experimentation as editor-in-chief at National (aka DC)

-explosion of new Marvel Number 1's (April 1968 to August 1968) including:

• Nick Fury;
    Captain America;
    Iron Man;
    Submariner;
    Hulk;
    Dr. Strange;
    Silver Surfer

- Adams X-Men

- Charlton "Action Heroes" line (Question, Blue Beetle, Capt. Atom, etc.)

Cheers,

Z.

I would say that early silver age should continue up to 1965 when comic book collecting started take off.

Mid silver age then covers the period up till Marvel's first title reboots, Subby #1, Iron Man #1, Cap #100 etc. all these titles signalled comic book collecting/ hoarding to really ramp up and started the late silver age which continues up to Conan #1.

Sorry Z for no mention of a DC title grin.gif

I was in my local comic book store this past weekend and the owner told me that the Silver Age started with FF #1 - is this universally accepted for the start of the Marvel books in the Silver Age?

Thanks,

DAM

Hard to make any valid claims universally...

...but I think it safe to say most fans believe the overall Silver Age began with Showcase #4, the re-intro of the Flash. Marvel began participating in the Silver Age with FF#1. The fact that books from 1959 and 1969 were so radically different, yet still termed "Silver Age," led me down the path of further sub-dividing the Silver Age.

There are some holdouts for Detective 225 Nov 1955 (first J'onn J'onzz), but those folks are just plain wrong! shocked.gifgrin.gif

Murph, I'm definitely biased, but there are some great DC books that you might want to check out. Spider-Man is a true classic, but aren't you at least a little bit of a sucker for a good Superman or Batman comic?

DAM

Brian,

Make you a deal--

Read the Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter (my avatar) published by DC. For example, check out this $1 auction ending in 4 hours.

If you do not like it, I'll stop polluting the boards with DC posts!

If you do, there are many more picks I'd be more than happy to point you towards.

Best,

Z.