• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i'm selling a Famous Funnies a carnival of comics #1 1933 comic

71 posts in this topic

If valued at $10K, why don't you CGC it yourself and sell it for $10K?
-Because that would involve the hassle of sending it to CGC, not to mention the extreme likelihood that the book will NOT grade that high, or is restored, in which case, the seller can't get some unsuspecting rube to overpay for the book.

"Overgraded" yes but "Restored"? It's got the original mailer, as well as extremely obvious and easily repairable defects like spine splits and tears. All of which indicates it is neither high grade nor restored. An "unsuspecting rube" would have to ignore the obvious defects and be completely unaware of how this book compares to other books graded (not just by CGC but by anyone) at 7.5. So, the unsuspecting rube who thinks this rare book would get a high grade in a slab would be about as clueless as... well, as a guy who would pay too much for a common book just because it's in a high grade slab.

True, about the restored comment-but i was referring more generally to high grade raw book sellers on ebay, not to name names, who make a pretty good living at re-selling "raw"books that were acquired slabbed at a lower, and often times- restored grade- and then telling the prospective bidders to "CGC it" And people buying these books are being taken advantage of, regardless of whether they should have known better. Maybe the book is just over-graded and the seller is legit, who knows?

-Because that would involve the hassle of sending it to CGC, not to mention the extreme likelihood that the book will NOT grade that high, or is restored, in which case, the seller can't get some unsuspecting rube to overpay for the book.

"Overgraded" yes but "Restored"? It's got the original mailer, as well as extremely obvious and easily repairable defects like spine splits and tears. All of which indicates it is neither high grade nor restored. An "unsuspecting rube" would have to ignore the obvious defects and be completely unaware of how this book compares to other books graded (not just by CGC but by anyone) at 7.5. So, the unsuspecting rube who thinks this rare book would get a high grade in a slab would be about as clueless as... well, as a guy who would pay too much for a common book just because it's in a high grade slab.

True, about the restored comment-but i was referring more generally to high grade raw book sellers on ebay, not to name names, who make a pretty good living at re-selling "raw"books that were acquired slabbed at a lower, and often times- restored grade- and then telling the prospective bidders to "CGC it" And people buying these books are being taken advantage of, regardless of whether they should have known better. Maybe the book is just over-graded and the seller is legit, who knows?

I understand your point. But in this case, it seems extremely unlikely that somebody would slab a really rare book that came with a mailing envelope and then take it out and call it a higher grade when it obviously doesn't look like that grade. If the seller calls a book a higher grade than somebody else would it's still just an opinion. The most it makes him is an "over-grader." It's their opinion and if anything it's just foolish and hopeful to say it's high grade because it so obviously isn't. Anyone who would buy this book could or should easily be able to tell it's not a VF. The crack and call it a higher grade game is only possible to the extent that a book looks good enough that an average reasonable person might agree with the grade you're putting on it as opposed to the grade that CGC or somebody else gave it. Since CGC is a private company that offers only an opinion, it's not quite the same as a homeseller saying that his garage addition is "to code" when in fact it's not. if a buyer is flush enough to spend 10K on a book yet careless enough they don't even think even to compare it to a handful of similar books on ebay that are graded the same, then I can't imagine how or why we're supposed to look out for that person, especially when it's arguable that there are far more people out there paying too much for new books, specifically because they are in high grade slabs. Of course, this book is a rare one and those tend to appeal to hardcore comics enthusiasts, so it would seem to me that it would do better in a slab. But that's the seller's decision and there's nothing wrong with him choosing to slab or not to slab it.

if it doesn't sell, i'm going too. i'm not a professional grader, but i've taken it to two shops and a local collector and they all called it "very fine" or very fine + or -. but yeah, if it doesn't sell, i'll probably get it graded. and hopefully not get disappointed. what do you think it would grade at? cause i looked at a few 2.0 and 4.0 and a 7.5...and this book was in just as good shape as the 7.5. much much better than the 2 or 4.

and caps sell on eBay. hahaha. whatever

and its definitely not restored. its been inside that envelope for about 80+ years. pretty wild.

and i looked it up here... Comics Price Guide value

WOW!

what would you say it's worth?

I would have difficulty believing this book will grade beyond a 5.0. Whether it is lower than that I cannot tell from the scans.

I collect Platinum books. Love em. All you need do is look through my website to see that, or watch the video lectures I give. I especially love the history of comics, and I buy multiple copies of the first four recognized modern comic books.

That said, I am - alas - one of a smaller crowd from the mainstream hobby who does purchase these books. This book was incredibly expensive 40 years ago. It was one of the more valuable books. As the generations moved forward tastes changed, memories faded, and Platinum books have slowed tremendously for sales purposes.

Unless it is a very high grade copy, or someone desperately wants a copy (and they are difficult to find as only about 100,000 were made and few were saved), lower to mid-grade copies, which this is one of for sure, sadly sell below OSPG, particularly at auction.

So, if this were a 5.0 copy, a very, very reasonable price would be $1,000 (I would buy it at that in a heartbeat), a solid fair retail asking price would be $1,500, and a high asking price (which would not surprise me to be seen at a convention or on a dealer website) would be $2,000 - $2,500.

Of course, that is not to say it could not go higher. Depends on finding the right buyer.

My 2c

P.S. I was not factoring the envelope into the price. Personally, I would pay at least $300 for just the envelope only.

if CGC notes this as the second comic, what do they note as the first?

Funnies on Parade.

But there are arguements for other books as the first comic. Depends on who you ask.

According to Max Gaines, who is most certainly one of the "Fathers" of the hobby, in a 1942 article that appeared in Print Magazine, he said that Funnies on Parade was the first "modern" day comic book.

Of course, he was also responsible for its existence! hm (thumbs u

I understand your point. But in this case, it seems extremely unlikely that somebody would slab a really rare book that came with a mailing envelope and then take it out and call it a higher grade when it obviously doesn't look like that grade. If the seller calls a book a higher grade than somebody else would it's still just an opinion. The most it makes him is an "over-grader." It's their opinion and if anything it's just foolish and hopeful to say it's high grade because it so obviously isn't. Anyone who would buy this book could or should easily be able to tell it's not a VF. The crack and call it a higher grade game is only possible to the extent that a book looks good enough that an average reasonable person might agree with the grade you're putting on it as opposed to the grade that CGC or somebody else gave it. Since CGC is a private company that offers only an opinion, it's not quite the same as a homeseller saying that his garage addition is "to code" when in fact it's not. if a buyer is flush enough to spend 10K on a book yet careless enough they don't even think even to compare it to a handful of similar books on ebay that are graded the same, then I can't imagine how or why we're supposed to look out for that person, especially when it's arguable that there are far more people out there paying too much for new books, specifically because they are in high grade slabs. Of course, this book is a rare one and those tend to appeal to hardcore comics enthusiasts, so it would seem to me that it would do better in a slab. But that's the seller's decision and there's nothing wrong with him choosing to slab or not to slab it.

I guess it just drives me crazy when I see obviously over graded books being sold as potential $10K bargains.I also, along with another who mentioned it, find it hard to believe any reputable dealer would grade that book over 5.0-so with that said, I am compelled to question the sincerity of the seller. I only have a few CGC books, but my ASM #4 in CGC 4.5 looks WAY better than that book.

Just my opinion.

if it doesn't sell, i'm going too. i'm not a professional grader, but i've taken it to two shops and a local collector and they all called it "very fine" or very fine + or -. but yeah, if it doesn't sell, i'll probably get it graded. and hopefully not get disappointed. what do you think it would grade at? cause i looked at a few 2.0 and 4.0 and a 7.5...and this book was in just as good shape as the 7.5. much much better than the 2 or 4.

and caps sell on eBay. hahaha. whatever

and its definitely not restored. its been inside that envelope for about 80+ years. pretty wild.

and i looked it up here... Comics Price Guide value

WOW!

what would you say it's worth?

doh!

1. You're swimming in the deep end of the pool. There are very nice people here, but they will eat you alive if you keep this up.

2. What shops and "local collector" did you go to? Because if they think that book is a VF, I have - literally - thousands of books that I can sell to them.

3. If you get it graded, you will get a blue label 4.0 (maybe) for an 80 year old book, which is still quite cool.

4. If you want to sell that book, get it graded and give it to Heritage, Comiclink, or ComicConnect and have them take care of it. You'll get a much better audience.

5. Sell Zaid the envelope, as he'll probably pay more than anybody else would.

This is what I was thinking. All the other advice is also sound but I would send a pm to Esquire Comics and sell him the envelope. He's a great historian and conservator of comics. It'll be appreciated and well taken care of for a very long time.

The original poster should NOT sell the envelope except at auction.

I'll pay more than $300 for the envelope and I know several other collectors who would also.

Ever compare the price of gum cards to the price of certain wrappers?

The original envelope in which this was sent is much rarer than the comic. Has anyone ever seen an original envelope before?

I'll pay more than $300 for the envelope and I know several other collectors who would also.

The original envelope in which this was sent is much rarer than the comic. Has anyone ever seen an original envelope before?

I believe filter sold one a few years ago

A quick Google search on:

"wheatena corporation" +"famous funnies"

gives hits to 3 other (different) copies that have sold with the same envelope. The fact that at least 4 different envelopes have survived suggests to me that a large fraction of the copies may have been distributed this way. Does anyone know more about the history of this book and whether this may have been the case?

gives hits to 3 other (different) copies that have sold with the same envelope. The fact that at least 4 different envelopes have survived suggests to me that a large fraction of the copies may have been distributed this way. Does anyone know more about the history of this book and whether this may have been the case?

Looks like a 9.0 copy with original envelope sold at Heritage in May 2009 for about 5K.

Looks like a 9.0 copy with original envelope sold at Heritage in May 2009 for about 5K.

I think that was filter's

Hey, hey, whose side are you on!!! hm:baiting: