• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest modern comic??????
1 1

46 posts in this topic

I think I own the rarest modern comic book. I believe only one copy was ever made.

But it is not some insignificant fanzine type comic or manufactured collectible (e.g. a "limited edition" or "variant cover"). It actually has a significant history as it's publication caused the NCAA to ban any college or University from ever doing a similar comic again. The comic book got extensive media coverage.

You can read a write up about it in Sports Illustrated here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/andy_staples/06/19/recruiting.main/

And Sports Illustrated actually posted scans of the complete comic here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0806/cfb.oregon.comic.book/content.1.html

From SI:

"Gilmore enlisted Oregon students Brett Kautter, Heather Terry and Brian Merrell to create a one-of-a-kind recruiting tool that -- while still adhering to NCAA rules -- would make recruits think of Oregon as the nation's coolest program.

So when Oregon coaches identified their top 20 prospects for the class of 2005, Gilmore and his staff designed custom comic books starring each recruit as the hero who leads the Ducks to a national title. Because NCAA rules at the time only allowed programs to send letter-sized, black-and-white pages to recruits, Gilmore sent each prospect one page a week. After a few months, the recruit had the full comic book. And when that recruit came to Eugene for an official visit, he would find the bound, full-color book sitting on a table, possibly alongside a fake Sports Illustrated cover -- attached to a real copy of the magazine -- featuring the prospect wearing an Oregon uniform and holding the Heisman Trophy.

Recruits loved the books, and they helped the Ducks land several stars. For example, Jonathan Stewart didn't lead the Ducks to a national title the way he did in Snoop: A Hero Is Born, but he did become the school's second-leading rusher in just three seasons. Before they could immortalize the class of 2006 in graphic-novel form, Gilmore and his team received the ultimate backhanded compliment -- the NCAA banned the books."

I have the Jonathon Stewart comic, which was printed up solely to show to Jonathon (now with the Carolina Panthers) on his official visit to Oregon, but not to give to him to keep (as that would have violated NCAA rules). It was obtained from the UO athletic department.

I'm curious if anyone think it has any value given its interesting history and Jonathon's decent college and NFL career.

The one in my sig line has a total print run of 20, no variants, no reprints.

And I woild love to have it

Love Dead @17 :cloud9:

Me three. I gave up since it's IMPOSSIBLE to get some of you guys to let these books go... :P

1 hour ago, Lethal_Collector said:

Image result for jim lee x-men #1 cover

Okay okay, enough trolling.

Danger Girl #1 Ruby Red Variant?

Image result for danger girl 1 ruby red variant cover

If not that, then I second the Maxx Red & Blues (thumbsu

Jerome

Hi I knew about this book when it came out. the ruby red sold for $75 i think eden? from a reseller online.  I bought it and kept it together with the platinum and the normal version.  I was a big DG fan then.

When the book hit $400, i sold it over ebay together with the rest of the books.

I have since manage to buy the platinum for $40 ( i think) but nowhere to get the red foil version at $400. Anyway this post reminded me of this.