• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where is Comicmankev?

8 posts in this topic

Apologies for dredging up what is effectively old news, but due to my absence from these boards (I was at the Pittsburgh Con buying acres of fantastic bargains from all and sundry, and have only just recovered from jet lag) I missed some relatively important threads.

I waded through the 2 threads concerning Kev's alleged shill bidding (the humungous Wizard First thread will have to wait) and have to say that the net result of this messy and tortuous smear effort is that Kev is gone. Nothing was proven, and despite the anonymous accuser's half-baked apology, the damage is done.

Okay, maybe it wasn't a smear campaign - but it certainly resembled one. My only thoughts on the two threads are that in future if any person chooses to level such accusations on this board, be they against an established Forumite or not, that they reveal their identity. Otherwise the system will continue to be ripe for abuse - bear in mind that an ugly precedent was established here: through circumstantial evidence over too short a period of time, and a barrel load of invective, a respected Forum members' name was dragged through the mud. Never mind Hyper's apparent good intentions and altruism. Said threads did more harm than good.

For the record, Kev has not contacted me regarding this and I've never actually met him.

Anyway, come back Kev!!! Return to the fold young man.....

Hi Goldy

I second those sentiments.

p.s. Isn't it customary in these parts to post a report following one's attendance at a con outlining the highs and lows, books available, and purchaces made ? I hope your report on the Pittsburgh Con be forthcoming ? 893naughty-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

Hi Goldy

I second those sentiments.

p.s. Isn't it customary in these parts to post a report following one's attendance at a con outlining the highs and lows, books available, and purchaces made ? I hope your report on the Pittsburgh Con be forthcoming ? 893naughty-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

Well, it's a bit OT, but what the 'eck.

I always found the Pittsburgh show to be worthwhile in terms of picking up books at reasonable prices. Plus it's a friendly, low-key show. This time, there was little to get excited about.

1) There used to be small, local dealers who'd sell books you wanted for decent prices. There were a few of these dealers in the adjacent toy show, but if anything they were more expensive than the established dealers at the comic show. And there was little of interest in their stock.

2) Prices were too steep on many books. I can understand the multiples being asked for on HG early SA and so on (especially CGC'd items), but books that are cool in the market (most pre-code sci-fi, mid-grade GA, most DC Silver below 9.2) were priced unrealistically, especially compared to ebay.

3) I found a moderate amount of VFN+/VFNM S.A. and B.A. Marvels I was after, and some pre-code horror icon books (Fantastic Fears 5, Lawbreakers Suspense 11, etc.) Missed out on a Blue Beetle 54 that in retrospect I should've bought. All the Timelys that interested me had either resto, tanned pages or were not priced to sell.

4) Many dealers mentioned that the show was below par - one particular NY dealer won't be back (check the earlier thread re the Con). Superworld Ted had a good show, and some nifty books (not cheap, mind). Great bloke. Kudos too to the other dealers - it's a friendly show at least.

And that's it.

What?? No mistress and wife stories? sumo.gif

Sadly, despite all the leching, leering and innuendo on my behalf whilst in the Radisson bar nothing extracurricular took place. Hope my missus ain't reading this. blush.gif