• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase your Harvey comics here!
2 2

288 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2018 at 10:16 PM, jimjum12 said:

What is the significance of Casper 20 ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

It is the first appearance of Wendy, the Good Witch, Casper's main romantic interest and also it's a very nice black cover that is difficult to find in high grade.  There are four copies graded 9.4 though and those are the highest.   I have a 7.5 copy and I guess that's the best I'm going to be able to do there.

A Casper 10 CGC 9.2 (first Spooky, and highest graded copy) sold for over $3800 on Heritage in Nov, 2016 but then that exact same copy sold a few months ago on Comiclink for $1688.  You can just never tell the true market value of highest graded copies, because easy for two people to get into a bidding war for one.

I wish I had more $ to spend back in the early 2000s when more of these graded Harvey file copies were auctioned off.  Most of them are locked in collections now and don't come up for sale very often.  I have a couple of nice copies of Harvey Comics Hits #61 to get graded and those should be 7.5 or a little better.  And I have a Casper 21 that is really nice and could even get 9.4  

Edited by goldenharvey

2 hours ago, goldenharvey said:

It is the first appearance of Wendy, the Good Witch, Casper's main romantic interest and also it's a very nice black cover that is difficult to find in high grade.  There are four copies graded 9.4 though and those are the highest.   I have a 7.5 copy and I guess that's the best I'm going to be able to do there.

A Casper 10 CGC 9.2 (first Spooky, and highest graded copy) sold for over $3800 on Heritage in Nov, 2016 but then that exact same copy sold a few months ago on Comiclink for $1688.  You can just never tell the true market value of highest graded copies, because easy for two people to get into a bidding war for one.

I wish I had more $ to spend back in the early 2000s when more of these graded Harvey file copies were auctioned off.  Most of them are locked in collections now and don't come up for sale very often.  I have a couple of nice copies of Harvey Comics Hits #61 to get graded and those should be 7.5 or a little better.  And I have a Casper 21 that is really nice and could even get 9.4  

I have a soft spot for Harvey File copies..... My interests are mostly cover-centric, thankfully. The keys can be pricey. I had a Harvey Hits 3 that I sold …. it was later graded at 9.2. I wish I had picked up more of the horror books in the early 90's.... drop dead copies for 30 bucks each …. My friend got a Black Cat 50 that was absolutely flawless. Thanks for the explanation, my friend. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

DSCN5588.JPG

Edited by jimjum12

I'm the same way and very much cover-centric with my Harvey books.  That looks like a beautiful book with the Wendy/Casper cover.

I think my all time favorite Casper cover is #34 with him riding the rocket on a black cover.  That one even edges out #20, but there are no file copies and I don't think even any graded copies of that book...probably the only issue in the first 30 or 40 Casper comics without one being slabbed and graded.  I suppose there were no file copies of that issue, which is sad.

I wish I would have bought about 5x the number of file copies from Diamond International Galleries in the 90s.  They were such a crazy bargain and are rarely seen again and offered for sale.

Edited by goldenharvey

Love Harvey but most of my comics (and interest) relate to the Bronze Age as those are the comics I was devouring right off the rack in the mid-70s. Some of those can be tough to find in high grade, also.

There is a 3-D Dolly CGC 9.2 in the latest Heritage weekly comics auction.  It ends on Sunday 8/19.  I won't be bidding on it, already having a 9.4, unless I can pick it up at a crazy bargain rate.  But would rather someone else get it who can appreciate it.

I picked this one up on Heritage by offering the previous buyer $1K for it.   I thought that was a very reasonable price and figure the market value is closer to $1200.   But after tax and shipping, it was still $1080.    But this is my favorite Casper cover after #34 (that has zero CGC graded copies) and was glad to upgrade my previous copy.   I doubt I'm going above this 9.0 though, because just too pricey.

I wish I would have bid on the 9.4 copy from the Quinton Clem collection back in 2013.  It resold for over $8000 last summer.  But I'm glad to have this one and very happy with it.

Casper The Friendly Ghost 20 - CGC 9.0.jpg

On 8/10/2018 at 4:38 PM, goldenharvey said:

I wish I would have bought about 5x the number of file copies from Diamond International Galleries in the 90s.  They were such a crazy bargain and are rarely seen again and offered for sale.

Same here. I used a rifle shot approach to pick up a few horror and war titles, but I should have cleaned out my bank account and backed up a truck to get as many of the humour titles as I could. Oh well....

(shrug)