• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

European comics

6 posts in this topic

I couldn't find where this had been asked and answered, but have you ever graded and slabbed European comics, especially items like Spirou and Pilote? I know they're a little larger than American comics, but they're about magazine-sized. Do they count as comics or magazines or something unique?

Thanks.

I may be wrong, but aren't those books hardcovers? In that case, can CGC grade them?

European comics come in magazine form too with several chapters of different books.

Those chapters are later collected in hardcover format.

Spirou and Tintin are two of the most well known examples, there was two monthly magazines with their names on it that featured other stories.

Here's some examples from the collection of friend of mine:

kdjsew.jpg

2afmwbt.jpg

CGC is not able to grade any hardcover comics. (I was not aware that the examples given were hardcovers, sorry)

They are not, Spirou and Pilote are weekly (anthology) comics and are about the size of the 70's Horror mags, but are a lot thinner. I'm thinking they should fit perfectly in the CGC magazine slabs.

Spirou is not only the name of a weekly Belgian anthology title, but also of a comic book character.

The Spirou (character) comic books are 64 or 48 pagers, larger than the magazines and were both released in HC and SC format. But even in SC format the comic book would be too big to get encased. (thumbs u