• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, the blob said:

This is not a sustainable market. How many times does someone buy a book for $__ they know will be worth half as much later (with a 5-10% chance of it being worth more?) before they say "no more"?

I never said it was a sustainable market. In fact, I have stated many times that I believe there is a major crash coming for the modern comic market and especially for the variant market. Many of the signs that led to crashes in past markets are now clearly evident with modern comics, but that doesn't mean there isn't money to be made in the meantime. One can make money off of modern comics. You just have to be knowledgeable on what is hot and be willing to sell while such comics are hot.

For example, J Scott Campbell is easily one of the hottest artists in the market right now, both in regards to the value of his comics already on the market and also in regards to the amount he is able to charge for his new variant releases. While I am still a big J. Scott Campbell fan, I decided to sell off most of my Campbell comics and sketchbooks like 4 months back as now is a great time to sell Campbell's comics due to thier being so popular right now. The prices I got on many of my auctions exceeded my expectations, some by significant amounts. Plus I am planning on buying all of Campbell's Sideshow statues so the money I made selling his comics and sketchbooks will help pay for the statues. I already have Abbey Chase and The Little Mermaid pre-ordered and he has 2 more statues from his Fairytale Fantasies line coming down the pipeline (Tinkerbell and Alice in Wonderland) and I am sure there will be even more after that. I will definitely be buying every statue he releases from that line. Its just a shame he doesn't produce the limited edition prints for that line anymore. Plus there is a store exclusive version for The Little Mermaid statue that I am hoping to pick up as well. So again, this was really the perfect time for me to sell Campbell's comics and sketchbooks due to his level of popularity right now. And I definitely made a decent amount of money in doing so. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

3 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

I never said it was a sustainable market. In fact, I have stated many times that I believe there is a major crash coming for the modern comic market and especially for the variant market. Many of the signs that led to crashes in past markets are now clearly evident with modern comics, but that doesn't mean there isn't money to be made in the meantime. One can make money off of modern comics. You just have to be knowledgeable on what is hot and be willing to sell while such comics are hot.

For example, J Scott Campbell is easily one of the hottest artists in the market right now, both in regards to the value of his comics already on the market and also in regards to the amount he is able to charge for his new variant releases. While I am still a big J. Scott Campbell fan, I decided to sell off most of my Campbell comics and sketchbooks like 4 months back as now is a great time to sell Campbell's comics due to thier being so popular right now. The prices I got on many of my auctions exceeded my expectations, some by significant amounts. Plus I am planning on buying all of Campbell's Sideshow statues so the money I made selling his comics and sketchbooks will help pay for the statues. I already have Abbey Chase and The Little Mermaid pre-ordered and he has 2 more statues from his Fairytale Fantasies line coming down the pipeline (Tinkerbell and Alice in Wonderland) and I am sure there will be even more after that. I will definitely be buying every statue he releases from that line. Its just a shame he doesn't produce the limited edition prints for that line anymore. Plus there is a store exclusive version for The Little Mermaid statue that I am hoping to pick up as well. So again, this was really the perfect time for me to sell Campbell's comics and sketchbooks due to his level of popularity right now. And I definitely made a decent amount of money in doing so. 

YeAh, but his stuff has had staying power and has been hot for years now. I don't follow each book, but he seems to have been the exception.

5 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Too funny!  True.....but still funny.  There certainly will be a "comeuppance".....not sure when that will be though.....

It helps that some books have a second or third wind, so not hopeless.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

What is this, a "comics that are cooling off" reunion?

"Cooling?"  FBP done that already. Was supposed to be the next big thing. A slabbed 9.8 just sold for $9.99 (and only $8 s/h). I might have to wait a while on those...

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

What is this, a "comics that are cooling off" reunion?

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

"Cooling?"  FBP done that already. Was supposed to be the next big thing. A slabbed 9.8 just sold for $9.99 (and only $8 s/h). I might have to wait a while on those...

Lighten up, he's joking around.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Lighten up, he's joking around.

I am as light as a feather. I have a 66 cent investment in each of those Collider 1s. I guess the younger kid won't get braces or go to camp, I'll give him a choice.

20 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am as light as a feather. I have a 66 cent investment in each of those Collider 1s. I guess the younger kid won't get braces or go to camp, I'll give him a choice.

Come on Blob - when was the last time you were light as a feather?

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Come on Blob - when was the last time you were light as a feather?

My attitude. Physically....I am surprised the chair I am sitting on hasn't exploded. I wasn't light as a feather in this picture, but I was in pretty decent shape. It was a while ago.

PORT5_1.JPG

Edited by the blob

21 minutes ago, the blob said:

My attitude. Physically....I am surprised the chair I am sitting on hasn't exploded. I wasn't light as a feather in this picture, but I was in pretty decent shape. It was a while ago.

PORT5_1.JPG

Good looking pic.  I had you pictured like this in my head so thanks for wrecking the illusion

Blob.jpg

13 hours ago, the blob said:

YeAh, but his stuff has had staying power and has been hot for years now. I don't follow each book, but he seems to have been the exception.

There really hasn't been a crash yet so why would anyone expect comics from an artist who is arguably the most popular artist in the comic industry right now to drop in value at this point? I wound up selling a large portion of my Campbell comics and sketchbooks because I believe a crash is inevitable at this point and I don't believe any artist will be immune from that crash. And selling at the very top, value wise, is EASILY one of the most difficult things to do when it comes to investing, wether it be with comics or the stock market. I have seen people lose a lot of potential income due to thier inability to sell. They hold thinking its going to continue increasing in value and many times it doesn't. I don't see Campbell as an exception at this point. I simply see him as an extremely popular artist that is doing very well right now selling high priced variants and such. If you think that trend is going to continue for years and years to come and that his comics are just going to continue to rise in value...well, your certainly entitled to that opinion. I for one do not believe its going to continue, which is exactly why I decided to sell when I did. 

2 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

There really hasn't been a crash yet so why would anyone expect comics from an artist who is arguably the most popular artist in the comic industry right now to drop in value at this point? I wound up selling a large portion of my Campbell comics and sketchbooks because I believe a crash is inevitable at this point and I don't believe any artist will be immune from that crash. And selling at the very top, value wise, is EASILY one of the most difficult things to do when it comes to investing, wether it be with comics or the stock market. I have seen people lose a lot of potential income due to thier inability to sell. They hold thinking its going to continue increasing in value and many times it doesn't. I don't see Campbell as an exception at this point. I simply see him as an extremely popular artist that is doing very well right now selling high priced variants and such. If you think that trend is going to continue for years and years to come and that his comics are just going to continue to rise in value...well, your certainly entitled to that opinion. I for one do not believe its going to continue, which is exactly why I decided to sell when I did. 

But you sold your comics to buy JSC statues. How is it not the same risk?

3 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Looks like I Kill Giants may take off again

just saw the trailer... the movie looks great!

Anecdotally, my wife's Bad Assssssssss Women's Book Club just picked the GN as their book of the month (Their first GN).

Edited by Hekla
cursing filter

On 1/24/2018 at 8:45 PM, ygogolak said:

But you sold your comics to buy JSC statues. How is it not the same risk?

Because I don't buy statues for investment purposes. With some collecting hobbies investment plays a key role in my purchases and with some hobbies investment plays no role whatsoever. Again, with statues investing plays no role whatsoever. I honestly couldn't care less what happens to the value of the statues I purchase as I have no plans on ever selling them. I buy them purely for my own enjoyment. My son will be deciding what to do with my statues when I am dead and buried and I could say the same thing about many of my other hobbies as well. Again, some hobbies I collect purely for enjoyment and other hobbies investment plays a key role. For example, some of the hobbies I have where investment plays a key role include bullion/coins, comics, original art, limited edition prints (which I now limit to limited editions made up of original pieces of art. I don't buy limited edition giclee prints anymore.), etc. Some of my hobbies that I partake in purely for enjoyment include antique/vintage cameras & lenses, antique/vinage Kodak memorabilia, Polaroid SX70's, vintage Belstaff & Barbour jackets, limited edition playing cards, wildlife stamps, etc. 

If investing played a key role with my statue purchasing, there really wouldn't be much of a difference, short of the fact that I dont think a crash is imminent with the high end statue market like I do with modern comics and the modern variant market. And technically I didn't sell my Campbell comics/sketchbooks to buy the Campbell statues. I was planning on selling my Campbell comics and sketchbooks before Sideshow had even announced their Campbell statues. So it just wound up being lucky timing in regards to buying the statues. I still would have sold most of my Campbell comics and sketchbooks even if Sideshow had no plans on making new Campbell statues and I still would have purchased the Campbell Sideshow statues even if I didn't sell his comics and sketchbooks. Again, the timing with the two was just pure coincidence 

Edited by OrangeCrush