• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I actually find it shocking that such a successful movie, had not affected the price of the original FF52.. Isnt that usually the trend with successful movies that are based on books/comics?

The pre-movie bump happened in 2017 when 2 different copies of FF #52 Cgc 9.8 sold for about $89,000. :wink:

14 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Looks like the book was bought and buyer probably tried to immediately cancel the sale. Buyer was none too happy with his junk book nor the $20 restocking-fee.

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=kidultscomicstoys5051&myworld=true&items=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=negative&interval=365

I'm quite surprised this seller only has one negative.....

13 hours ago, the blob said:

It was wrong for marvel to put out those reprints that are so easily passed off online. There should have been something on the cover. A non-collector may not see tbe differences. I was confused the first time i saw one of these in perfect shape and then realized it was a reprint.

Well, the first thing anyone might notice is that there is no price on the FC, much like the Golden Record Reprints. :whistle: Now, if he had failed to put up a scan of the BC, that would have been completely fraudulent. But the 20% re-stocking fee? Do not pass go, Go directly to jail! lol

Edited by divad

3 minutes ago, THB said:

The paper stock is very weird too.... almost a laminated feel to it.

So it's appearance is intentionally pre-aged as well then?

Edited by divad

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Yup I'm aware of that, but this movie is actually a hit. Which usually translates to bigger numbers when the movie drops 

Right, like you said, five years ago that was the case. Not so much now.

I also the way this movie evolved, it's bringing people to the theater who have never seen a comic book movie or own a comic.

Edited by ygogolak

45 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Right, like you said, five years ago that was the case. Not so much now.

I also the way this movie evolved, it's bringing people to the theater who have never seen a comic book movie or own a comic.

As I said in the Black Panther movie thread... Imagine if that new blood of BP fans will get caught in the comic collecting bug

As I said somewhere else. DC movie executives should go see with a notepad and pencil in hand.

Its a perfect example how to make a good movie, take a C league character and promote him, and most importanly
bring in a new demographic into the super hero world that has largely felt ignored for a long time.

I do hope many comic into the comic book hobby as well. Growth is good.

45 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

As I said somewhere else. DC movie executives should go see with a notepad and pencil in hand.

Its a perfect example how to make a good movie, take a C league character and promote him, and most importanly
bring in a new demographic into the super hero world that has largely felt ignored for a long time.

Indeed! :banana:

6 hours ago, divad said:

Well, the first thing anyone might notice is that there is no price on the FC, much like the Golden Record Reprints. :whistle: Now, if he had failed to put up a scan of the BC, that would have been completely fraudulent. But the 20% re-stocking fee? Do not pass go, Go directly to jail! lol

I noticed it, but it took a few seconds and if the book had not been in a pile of junk at my lcs and I saw it and was "wow a nm f 52!" and then I looked it over and realized what it was. A non-collector would not.

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

I noticed it, but it took a few seconds and if the book had not been in a pile of junk at my lcs and I saw it and was "wow a nm f 52!" and then I looked it over and realized what it was. A non-collector would not.

I found a beat up "FF67" last year in a $3 box and had to take several long looks at it before turned it over and saw the modern ad on the back.

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

As I said in the Black Panther movie thread... Imagine if that new blood of BP fans will get caught in the comic collecting bug

My son (through me, to save me from spending $25 on an amazon gift card) gave one of his african american friends a lower grade copy of BP 1 for his 13th birthday a few weeks ago. The kid is into BP and batman, but isn't necessarily running to comic shops. Anyway, his head nearly exploded he was so psyched. I also gave him a stack of various batman prestige format books. Maybe I have helped infect a young one with the comic bug? 

On 10/27/2011 at 11:07 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:
jonjesper said:
Has to be a different cover image...I don't think they are going to count for a lighter hue...

I have purchased several newstand copies of books with some subtle differences and none have been able to be designated with a newstand variant/copy.

This will change, because the market is requiring it.

CGC doesn't have a choice.

:popcorn:

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Who was the C level character?

32 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

How do you dig so far back?

7 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

There may be a few new collectors, but my guess is it will attract more TPB readers than anything.

As for the value of FF #52 not rising, the run up the past year and a bit and I think that the book has overshot the market to a certain extent. I am curious to see how it does post-movie as the trend the past couple of years has been a plateau and smallish price correction for other movie books.

Edited by kimik

15 minutes ago, kimik said:

As for the value of FF #52 not rising, the run up the past year and a bit and I think that the book has overshot the market to a certain extent. I am curious to see how it does post-movie as the trend the past couple of years has been a plateau and smallish price correction for other movie books.

FF52 was always a desirable book with the Black cover making it difficult to find in the uber high grades. There are only 5 9.8's on the census. Usually a movie brings out more books on the census but there hasn't been a new 9.8 graded in nearly two years. It's a tough book and I think demand will remain strong.