• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Who was the C level character?

:popcorn:

How do you dig so far back?

As a comic, BP has never been able to sustain long term sales and gets cancelled. He isn't even moon knight level. But heck, marvel already did it with gotg, a D list team.

8 hours ago, the blob said:

As a comic, BP has never been able to sustain long term sales and gets cancelled. He isn't even moon knight level. But heck, marvel already did it with gotg, a D list team.

Actually... The new GOTG team was a GREAT series and had virtually nothing to do with the old series.

1 hour ago, The Resurrection said:

Actually... The new GOTG team was a GREAT series and had virtually nothing to do with the old series.

I'm not saying good or bad, but that gotg title was cancelled after 25 issues as well. NOW the gotg books are selling.

10 hours ago, the blob said:

Huh? How is he not even Moon Knight level? A character that has had multiple series be "cancelled" recently. You know they only cancel these now to pump up #1 sales again, right?
BP is a staple of Marvel. When they actually understood the meaning and value of diversity.

Huh? How is he not even Moon Knight level? A character that has had multiple series be "cancelled" recently. You know they only cancel these now to pump up #1 sales again, right?
BP is a staple of Marvel. When they actually understood the meaning and value of diversity.

I am going by sales. Moon knight has had a few series go 3-5 years. I am talking over the laat 30 or 40 years. As for reboots, its usually when things have slowed down. Mind you, kids probably know BP more because he has been in tbe cartoons. Nothing to do with criticizing diversity. I apparently like luke cage so much i have a magazine box or so of his comics, at least according to my recent foray into comic organzing. The luke cage pile is higher than iron man.

And sure, right now BP is top tier. They brought in a pullitzer price winning writer for the series! But the movie was happening before that. Before coates came on did BP outsell moon knight in their various runs over the years?

Edited by the blob

28 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am going by sales. Moon knight has had a few series go 3-5 years. I am talking over the laat 30 or 40 years. As for reboots, its usually when things have slowed down. Mind you, kids probably know BP more because he has been in tbe cartoons. Nothing to do with criticizing diversity. I apparently like luke cage so much i have a magazine box or so of his comics, at least according to my recent foray into comic organzing. The luke cage pile is higher than iron man.

And sure, right now BP is top tier. They brought in a pullitzer price winning writer for the series! But the movie was happening before that. Before coates came on did BP outsell moon knight in their various runs over the years?

BP is more popular and recognized than MK will ever be. The reason why that is, is because of the characters history and demographic edge. Ask any black person who black panther is and they'll tell you (even prior to the movie) but they wouldn't know who moon knight is unless they're into comic books. Heck I don't even think most aa knew who Luke Cage was prior to the show

Edited by Aweandlorder

6 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

BP is more popular and recognized than MK will ever be. The reason why that is, is because of the characters history and demographic edge. Ask any black person who black panther is and they'll tell you (even prior to the movie) but they wouldn't know who moon knight is unless they're into comic books. Heck I don't even think most aa knew who Luke Cage was prior to the show

Its a coin toss as to which character was more well know before the BP movie.  I'm sure you are exaggerating but very, very few black people knew who Black Panther was before the movie.  I'd think a large percentage of black people have never read a comic book (I'd think very few people in general have owned and read a comic book especially over the last 25 years).

12 hours ago, the blob said:

Black Panther is at least a B list hero.  Moon Knight is C or D list.  This is based on the fact that Black Panther has appeared in more main stream titles/stories in recent years (AvX, Hickman's New Avengers, Secret Wars).

17 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Its a coin toss as to which character was more well know before the BP movie.  I'm sure you are exaggerating but very, very few black people knew who Black Panther was before the movie.  I'd think a large percentage of black people have never read a comic book (I'd think very few people in general have owned and read a comic book especially over the last 25 years).

Are you serious??

Any black person I met in my life knew who Black Panther was waaaay before any movie was in discussion. BP is a STAPLE super hero within communities of color. That's the reason why they came out in droves to support the movie. No other reason.

the only real argument you have here is whether the demographic edge of BP will not surpass the popularity of MK. 

Surely it will

13 hours ago, ygogolak said:

:roflmao:

FF 52 (July 1966)
Jungle Action - 20 issues (Jul 1973 - Nov 1976) partial reprint series and no name in the title, but he did have his name on the cover
Black Panther - 15 issues (Jan 1977 - May 1979)
Black Panther - 4 issues (Jul 1988 - Oct 1988)
Black Panther: Panther's Prey - 4 issues (1991)
Black Panther - 62 issues (Nov 1998 - Sep 2003)
Black Panther - 41 issues (Apr 2005 - Nov 2008)
Black Panther - 12 issues (Apr 2009 - Mar 2010)
Black Panther: The Man Without Fear - 11 issues (Feb 2011 - Nov 2011)
Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive - 7 issues (Nov 2011 - Apr 2012)
Black Panther - ongoing (Jun 2016 - )

WWBN 32 (Aug 1975)
Moon Knight - 38 issues (Nov 1980 - Jul 1984)
Moon Knight - 6 issues (Jun 1985 - Dec 1985)
Marc Spector: Moon Knight - 60 issues (Jun 1989 - Mar 1994)
Moon Knight - 4 issues (Jan 1998 - April 1998)
Moon Knight - 4 issues (Jan 1999 - Feb 1999)
Moon Knight - 30 issues (Jun 2006 - Jul 2009)
Vengeance of the Moon Knight - 10 issues (Nov 2009 - Sep 2010)
Moon Knight - 12 issues (Jul 2011 - Jun 2012)
Moon Knight - 17 issues (May 2014 - Sep 2015)
Moon Knight - ongoing (Jun 2016 - )

11 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Black Panther is at least a B list hero.  Moon Knight is C or D list.  This is based on the fact that Black Panther has appeared in more main stream titles/stories in recent years (AvX, Hickman's New Avengers, Secret Wars).

:roflmao::roflmao:

Edited by Lazyboy

5 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

FF 52 (July 1966)
Jungle Action - 20 issues (Jul 1973 - Nov 1976) REPRINT SERIES, but he did have his name on the cover
Black Panther - 15 issues (Jan 1977 - May 1979)
Black Panther - 4 issues (Jul 1988 - Oct 1988)
Black Panther: Panther's Prey - 4 issues (1991)
Black Panther - 62 issues (Nov 1998 - Sep 2003)
Black Panther - 41 issues (Apr 2005 - Nov 2008)
Black Panther - 12 issues (Apr 2009 - Mar 2010)
Black Panther: The Man Without Fear - 11 issues (Feb 2011 - Nov 2011)
Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive - 7 issues (Nov 2011 - Apr 2012)
Black Panther - ongoing (Jun 2016 - )

WWBN 32 (Aug 1975)
Moon Knight - 38 issues (Nov 1980 - Jul 1984)
Moon Knight - 6 issues (Jun 1985 - Dec 1985)
Marc Spector: Moon Knight - 60 issues (Jun 1989 - Mar 1994)
Moon Knight - 4 issues (Jan 1998 - April 1998)
Moon Knight - 4 issues (Jan 1999 - Feb 1999)
Moon Knight - 30 issues (Jun 2006 - Jul 2009)
Vengeance of the Moon Knight - 10 issues (Nov 2009 - Sep 2010)
Moon Knight - 12 issues (Jul 2011 - Jun 2012)
Moon Knight - 17 issues (May 2014 - Sep 2015)
Moon Knight - ongoing (Jun 2016 - )

:roflmao::roflmao:

Convenient that you left out the crossover and teams that the two are involved in. Get back to me when you have that figured out.

Jungle Action was a "reprint series"?

Edited by ygogolak

It was like 3 issues of Jungle Action that were reprints and became solo black panther stories after, So that doesn't make sense? Also Black Panther was a fairly long tenured member of the Mighty Avengers, for like 10 years (on and off). Moon knight was also a West Coast Avenger, but not for as long.

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Convenient that you left out the crossover and teams that the two are involved in. Get back to me when you have that figured out.

I don't have a clue what either character is doing or has done recently, nor do I care. Marvel sucks. But staple characters are consistently published with their names on the book (at least if they're heroes). That does not apply to either BP or MK. They are both lower tier characters.

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Jungle Action was a "reprint series"?

Fine, partial reprint series. I'll admit, I thought there was more reprinted material in those issues than there actually is when I wrote that.

I still listed it even though his name isn't in the title because it does contain a bunch of original BP content and his name appears on the covers.

7 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I don't have a clue what either character is doing or has done recently, nor do I care. Marvel sucks. But staple characters are consistently published with their names on the book (at least if they're heroes). That does not apply to either BP or MK. They are both lower tier characters.

Fine, partial reprint series. I'll admit, I thought there was more reprinted material in those issues than there actually is when I wrote that.

I still listed it even though his name isn't in the title because it does contain a bunch of original BP content and his name appears on the covers.

Ever heard of a group called Avengers that BP was in? What's Moon Knights equivalent, Secret Avengers? whoo

As you have stated, you don't know what Marvel has been doing.
So Slapstick is a "staple character"? How about Iceman?

Black Panther however at one time had three title books; Black Panther, Black Panther & the Crew, Black Panther: World of Wakanda.

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:
16 hours ago, the blob said:

You're partly right.   Overall, I'd agree MK has been B level and BP has been C level, but your last sentence may be the key reason for this to change.

8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Ever heard of a group called Avengers that BP was in? What's Moon Knights equivalent, Secret Avengers? whoo

Big deal. Nearly everyone has been in the Avengers, especially if you include the offshoot teams.

Forget this stupid "staple" argument. It's not relevant because either both BP and MK are staples, or neither are staples.

The original point was that they are both lower tier characters, which remains true. I'm willing to put them on the same level if you just don't like people saying MK is higher.

Black Panther however at one time had three title books; Black Panther, Black Panther & the Crew, Black Panther: World of Wakanda.

For what, a month overlap with both short-lived titles?

Marvel currently giving BP a push doesn't change his 50+ year history. He could become bigger than he has been, and most likely has a better chance than Moon Knight of doing so. Still, until it actually happens...

BP had those three titles in the run up to civil war and the BP movie. He isn't a C list character right now, or since 2016 when coates started writing and the character was hyped, but he had been for a long time. That's it. The BP comics series never sold well as far as I know.  That information is presumably on comichron, which my office blocks for some reason, so I can't look it up.